Fish-feeding Russian tourist jailed in Phuket

webfact

You seem determined to justify what happened. Are you so one eyed that you cannot see  the complete stupidity of this case, particularly when compared to many more serious crimes with trivial penalties?

I'm sure this guy will be strutting around in a brown uniform pretending to be a tourist police with the way he is backing the legal system here.Oh dear and he really thinks the Thai police will refund the bail money in full !....Come on they have costs to shell out , I know some innocent people who had to pay money and never got it back!... The country is corrupt to the core!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It interferes with the natural food chain.

sent using Tapatalk

It also domestises ( I may have made up that word) the fish.... making them easier to catch... oh... sorry... not allowed to do that

instead it makes them reliant on human feeding patterns vs natural feeding patterns.

but this "arrest" is still over the top BS, when, as a tourist, she should have simply been told not to do it.

Plenty of fishes from North Korea have applied for residency in Thailand now. They have abandoned their leader who shower them with rockets all year long. They've agreed to come to Thailand because Thailand has set the international standards for fish rights. No longer will they be treated any less any other living being.

5 hours ago, Essaybloke said:

Held in a cell for 2 days for...for... feeding fish....

It's not often that words fail me....but....... :omfg:

I agree with you, and I will say that a Thai jail is not a pleasant place. I spent a night in one. 

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

if feeding fish is not allowed then why not simply give her a 500 bht fine?

This is what I would like to know. Who made the arrest ? Why is it an arrestable offence ?

Is it really an arrestable offence ?

100k Baht bail - very excessive for something which on the surface would appear to be the equivalent of a parking ticket.

Come to Phuket in Thailand for your luxury holiday in the sun spend some time in prison for feeding fish....

500 baht fines are for thais  100,000 baht fines are for farangs  Like the Golden temple in Bangkok 500 Baht entry for farangs 50 baht for Thais If you did this in in Australia it would be classed as" Not equal opportunity" So when tourist come to Australia they are charged the same rate as the locals

7 hours ago, redwinecheese said:

By what? 

Well I was in Krabi on a long boat last year and they gave us bread to attract the fish at a snorkeling stop, I could have been jailed for this I guess. I could see a 200 baht fine for not knowing that feeding the fish is not good but two nights in jail or 100,000 baht bail? come on. Its probably legal to use a speargun to kill and eat the same fish though.

On 2/22/2017 at 2:36 PM, manarak said:

best advertizing for tourism in Thailand ever !!

keep it up!

maybe the boss of the Ministry of Tourism will see that she's got some more urgent work to do than a crusade against sin, lol.

Tourists need to go back to feeding the prostitutes, not the fish...

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is what I would like to know. Who made the arrest ? Why is it an arrestable offence ?

Is it really an arrestable offence ?

100k Baht bail - very excessive for something which on the surface would appear to be the equivalent of a parking ticket.

Come to Phuket in Thailand for your luxury holiday in the sun spend some time in prison for feeding fish....

The real crime is the state of Thailand waters and the dead marine life.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/970272-the-gulf-of-thailand-as-communal-trash-bin/#comment-11651698

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

No the OP did not cover the point at all.  The OP only discussed the bail and jailing.  At no time was any specific law mentioned

Charged with "Feeding fish in a forbidden area, or an area with coral reef"... 1 year jail or 100,000 baht fine, or both

its in a link from the linked story in the OP.... very hard to find, unlike the hungry little fishies.

5 hours ago, Grubster said:

Well I was in Krabi on a long boat last year and they gave us bread to attract the fish at a snorkeling stop, I could have been jailed for this I guess. I could see a 200 baht fine for not knowing that feeding the fish is not good but two nights in jail or 100,000 baht bail? come on. Its probably legal to use a speargun to kill and eat the same fish though.

On a snorkel dive tour in the Arang Thong National Park region of the Samui archipelago the  boat operators also regularly feed the fish to bring them into the  dive area, so what's the big deal about this poor woman I wonder?

Archived