No joy for boat operators as 500 protest two tier pricing

webfact

No joy for boat operators as 500 protest two tier pricing

2am.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

KRABI: -- Some 500 long tail and speedboat operators blockaded the Ao Nang national park HQ yesterday to seek changes in the two tier pricing policy for foreign tourists.

The boat operators are demanding that fees for foreign tourists and halved from 400 to 200 for adults and 200 to 100 for children, Manager Online reported.

Thais pay a tenth of these charges to enter the Noparat beach and Phi Phi marine park in Krabi.

The operators say that tourist numbers have been dwindling by as much as 60% as foreigners get wise to the fact they are being fleeced by the state.

Some 300 police, soldiers and park officials were on hand yesterday to prevent trouble as the boat operators unfurled banners calling for change.

The operators were led by Ao Nang kamnan Theerasak Khanantai.

But local park chief Sorayuth Tanthian reiterated what he had said before that there would be no change.

He said he had made representation to the national park head office who had turned down the request for change. Only a ministerial level decision could change the regulations, he said.

Sorayuth said that if he sanctioned a change in the pricing structure he would be breaking the law.

The blockade was completed by 500 to 600 boats jamming the bay area meaning that 1000 tourists were unable to take trips on the sea from the Ao Nang area.

These tourists had to be ferried by road to alternative piers to embark on their day trips.

A meeting was held between the various factions and this will be reconvened on the 27th of February for further discussion.

Following the meeting and the announcement of the next round of talks the boat operators dispersed without further incident.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-23

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Only a ministerial level decision could change the regulations, he said.

So the price gouging goes all the way to the ministry level huh?

and the two tire pricing is a government policy... Nice.... even if

the operators themselves wanting to lower the fares, thy can't...

Somehow, I think the answer to their problems is in the number of protesters and boats that participated.  

500-600 boats all vying for the same tourists to the same small patches of beach?  And those were just the ones that had nothing better to do.  Like take tourists out for money...

Edit:  I suspect it's an unintended consequence of the crackdown on illegal fishing and beach vendors.  All those mariners left looking for some way to feed their families.  Whatever, it goes way beyond dual pricing.

Some of the people reported here have themselves been fleecing tourists for decades. Tour operator pot calling the DNP kettle black!  If tourists think they get value for 400THB entrance fee they will still come. Boat mafia should consider other reasons why tourists are not coming to Krabi. Many foreigners are wary of security and the risk of getting injured, money and valuables stolen or worse while on holiday. Time to clean up Ao Nang and other ruined tourist destinations by moving the tour operators!  Section 44 all the way in this space!

1 hour ago, Dibbler said:

Boat mafia should consider other reasons why tourists are not coming to Krabi. Many foreigners are wary of security and the risk of getting injured, money and valuables stolen or worse while on holiday.

My question is:  Are tourist numbers really down, or are there just more boats piling in so the average boat is getting a smaller piece of a constant (or growing, or shrinking) pie?

500 - 600 boats in Ao Nang???? Bet it's fun on the little beaches with all those boats.

Could the problem be too many boats for too few tourists? The usual Thai "I can do that too" until the supply is too great?

And who is actually collecting the 400 Baht?

Maybe someone can confirm it is the national park officials with a proper receipt, and NOT the boats drivers simply charging änother 400 Baht for the national park?

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

they are not taking about the boat fees. They are talking about the national park entrance fee which is decided by the ministry

Most foreign countries I've lived in had two tier pricing.

Most tourists have had more financial opportunities than most Thais and have more money.

I for one don't have a problem with being charged more.

I believe demonstrations hurt them more.

Of course the above could be debated with the current, worldwide financial retreat.

21 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Most tourists have had more financial opportunities than most Thais and have more money.

Of course the above could be debated with the current, worldwide financial retreat.

Civilised countries have anti discrimination laws!

23 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Yes some countries have 2 tier pricing. A few years ago a friend was in Vietnam and the only people complaining about dual pricing were Thais! He actually ended up paying for them, 20, so he and his family could go in and enjoy themselves

Minister says entry fee rate to marine park is reasonable

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM58zfZFR1WgxyvIGKVARIMxNd

KRABI: -- Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Gen Surasak Kanchanarat today rejected a call by tour boat operators in Krabi to lower entry fee to Nopparat Thara-Phi Phi islands national park by half saying the current rate is reasonable.

He said the entry fee to the marine national park in Krabi province of 400 baht for foreign adult and 200 baht for child is appropriate when taking into consideration that the money is used to rehabilitate the nature of the park and pollution problems.

He said there are costs generated from these problems and therefore it needs to find revenues to solve them.

Besides if the rate was compared to other countries, it was not high but reasonable, he said.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/minister-says-entry-fee-rate-marine-park-reasonable/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-02-23

56 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Two tier pricing in other countries isn't normally based on race. It's usually reduced fees for people living in-state, pensioners, disabled etc. Here it's only Thais who pay the lower fee.

I also disagree with your assertion that most tourists are better off than locals. Many have saved all year for their holiday and have paid a lot for their flight and hotel.

Double pricing is just plain wrong and I personally refuse to take part.

I wonder if anyone has even considered raising the price for thais..

granted the fees shouldn't seem that unreasonable to someone living on a western income... but people won't feel very welcomed and don't take kindly to being treated unfairly... If I was traveling to Thailand for the first time and i found out i was paying a "farang -tax of 1000% i might not want to come back to Thailand ever again.

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's only a regulation. It is not a law. Regulations can easily be changed.

A technique of avoiding 2 tier pricing involves avoiding middlemen and only paying cash. Those activities I can do in another country which don't 2 tier. So not only is that particular industry losing my custom but the whole tourism industry loses a customer when I decide to pursue elsewhere.

Maybe the collective effect of tourists doing this is means their policy is counter-productive.

Typical of politicians especially to put short term gains ahead of long term security.

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Civilised countries have anti discrimination laws!

Yes, but none of them enforce them now!

The globalist have everyone in the world  discriminating against each other. 

Guests in Thailand should not complain and if they are not happy leave as all they do is cause trouble for everyone.

I would be interested to hear you name one civilized country now.

By paying any extra entrance fee money than a Thai person you are saying:

I support racism

Racism is OK

Please continue racism in other areas of Thailand

The only way to stamp out racism and any other idea you disagree with is by not supporting it!

I do this every single day by only buying goods from companies I want to support and not buying from those I refuse to support...

It's not rocket science!

I'm taking the Thai family to Krabi but the national parks aren't going to be on our 'to do' list.  And I'll be happy to tell them why.  10 fold increase in price based on racism.  I ain't doing it.  There is plenty of other things to enjoy.

Archived