"Tourists come to Pattaya for nature not sex" says police chief as British businessmen blamed

webfact

"Tourists come to Pattaya for nature not sex" says police chief as British businessmen blamed

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

PATTAYA: -- Pattaya's police chief has hit back at claims that Pattaya is only about sex by saying that tourists come to the resort for its natural wonders.

But he seems determined to clear out the streetwalkers nonetheless.

Apichai Kroppetch was responding to a story in the UK's Mirror newspaper that said Pattaya was the sex capital of the world and 1 in 5 of its female population were sex workers.

And he has suggested the damage to the Pattaya image came from British businessmen who have set up in the sex trade at the resort.

But while accepting there was a certain sex business he said that his men would be stepping up efforts to curb the trade singling out prostitutes who openly sell themselves on Beach Road.

Referring to the UK report he said: "It is not true,it is just lies. Pattaya is more about nature than sex.

Tourists come to Pattaya for many reasons, he aid, and while he accepted that some come for the sex trade it did not mean that was the only thing on offer and that there were prostitutes on every corner.

But he cautioned that the local police were going to step up their efforts to curb the sex trade according to government policy.

"In the past we made some arrests in the sex trade but not many," he said. "This is going to be stepped up."

Sanook.com reported that police were going to target streetwalkers who line Beach Road as well as conduct more raids on the sex business in the resort.

Apichai took a swipe at the British business community in the resort when he commented that the Mirror story originated from UK businessmen talking to reporters from their homeland about the sex trade.

He stated firmly: "I can confirm that Pattaya is NOT a sex capital on a world level".

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-23

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, i go for a quiet beer in a Pattaya bar and next thing i know a woman is sitting in my lap, shoving her breast in my face and trying to grab my c0ck. It really p1sses me off when that happens! So Pattaya cannot be the sex capitial of the world as this sort of thing happens in most bars around the world. :coffee1::clap2:

Jesus christ if you're going to think of a spurious story, at least think it through before making a complete arse of yourself in the media by saying it.

Have been to pattaya enough times to know that there is very little in the way of nature (or natural things) to be found anywhere, perhaps with the exception of the rivers of sewage running just under the surface.

The authorities have long since lost the plot, but even this is just on another level completely ?

26 minutes ago, webfact said:

And he has suggested the damage to the Pattaya image came from British businessmen who have set up in the sex trade at the resort.

But while accepting there was a certain sex business he said that his men would be stepping up efforts to curb the trade singling out prostitutes who openly sell themselves on Beach Road.

Referring to the UK report he said: "It is not true,it is just lies. Pattaya is more about nature than sex.

I would recommend that any British businessmen in the area keep their collective heads down for a while. I wonder if the cop could tell which were British without the aid of their passport and an interpreter.

As to Pattaya being more about nature than sex I suggest the esteemed police officer take a swim in any of the local creeks, rivers or at one of the many beaches in the area and report back on his experiences. Alternatively he can go for a walk along the boulevard that is Beach Rd or battle the waste dumped in any piece of undeveloped piece of land.

49 minutes ago, webfact said:

"Tourists come to Pattaya for nature ......" says police chief

This is nonsense. Everyone knows that tourists come to Pattaya to be mugged on Beach Road, have their pockets picked on Bahtbuses, to be targeted by police for imaginary traffic violations, to be overcharged by everyone everywhere and, for the really lucky ones, to buy an expensive off-plan condo that will never be built.

That's what I came here for anyway.

When I initially read the comments form 'Thai netizens' about the report in The Mirror, I thought that something wasn't right. Many seemed to take it very well and were honest about what we already know. I thought that maybe it was just one of those "So what?" remarks when you literally have no comeback or couldn't possibly make yourself look foolish arguing against something that is so obvious. 

Now we're seeing that the report has got under the skin of many. Comments like; "people come for the nature and not sex" are so clearly deluded. If you really believe that, what are you actually going to clean up? Unfortunately for those who really do what clean up the image - money will come first. Face is only as strong as the people who believe or pretend to believe it. Foreigners certainly don't. 

Mountains- Nope

Forest- Nope

Beautiful Parks- Nope

Even one Park- Nope

Possibly the worst beach of any beach resort in the world... 

Lots of green spaces-Nope

Any green spaces?-Nope

Rivers-Nope

Wildlife as in animals-Nope

The only natural wonder I see is wondering how the ocean

water can be so black...

47 minutes ago, clockman said:

The truth always hurts, Does anybody know roughly the revenue from the entertainment sector?

Impossible to give you an accurate number. Probably around 80-85% as you have to factor in restaurants, bars like iBar, Marine and then the restaurant business, car and motorbike rental business, real estate, street vendors etc.. 

There are very few people.. lets call them 'ordinary couples' that would make Pattaya their home. 

My shit doesn't smell better than anyone else and I really just like the ease of the city and have no interest in its entertainment venues. 

Call me one of the few who aren't driving from Bangkok to Pattaya for the entertainment. 

If I currently had the ability to move back to a nice pool villa in or around Pattaya compared to my high rise condo in Bangkok, I would have moved yesterday, but having all my friends here in Bangkok, would make Pattaya a pretty lonely place for the misses and myself. 

Sure there is lots more to do than in Bangkok where it takes 2 hours to get to the supermarket and 2 hours to get back, but I'd still be on my own down there which is the only reason we didn't bite the bullet (again) and moved back there. 

"Tourists come to Pattaya for many reasons, he said, and while he accepted that some come for the sex trade it did not mean that was the only thing on offer and that there were prostitutes on every corner."

Maybe not everyone comes to Pattaya for sex, but there are prostitutes on pretty much every corner.

Ridiculous denial of what is blatantly true.

Very Thai though. If you don't like it, or think it is embarassing, simply deny it. Problem solved.

I used to wonder what goes through the minds of idiots like this, until I realised they are in need of a mind to start with.

Archived