My body defies the 'calories in-calories out' equation

simon43

If you eat less calories than your body uses, then you're going to lose weight - its a simple equation ain't it?

Well apparently not for my body.

I weigh 73 Kg (my body size/shape is not large).

I always weigh 73 Kg

I have a beer gut/love handles and decided to get on a diet and exercise routine to get more fit and lose some flab.

I chose my diet carefully and each day I eat no more than 1,000 calories (I'm never a large eater anyway)

I started cycling to/from work every day, about 20km, including some strenuous hills

I started a daily fitness workout routine

I've been doing this for a month.

My heart is probably feeling the benefits but...

I'm still 73 Kg

I still have the flab

Hmm.... perhaps if I stopped eating all together, I might use more calories than I consume.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eat more, not less to give your body the energy it needs to burn fat. 

Getting rid of "flab" for most people is almost completely about nutrition. If you're diet isn't on point you wont shift it.

And a month, for most people, isn't long enough time, see what your results are like after 6 months or even longer. 

Every one is different but you should probably be trying to consume maybe double the amount of calories, made up of lean protein, veg and good quality carbs.

But I'm far from an expert, just a passing interest in fitness and nutrition. And ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different opinions on diet, nutrition etc!

Good luck!

Eat more, not less to give your body the energy it needs to burn fat. 

I did an accurate calorie count on my daily food and drinks - it is typically 1,050 kcalories.

But my normal calorie intake for as long as I can remember is no more than 1,400 kcalories per day.  

So I've reduced my calorie count by about 350, taken up daily cycle and exercise.  Surely, it defies the equation that I am not losing weight, nor the flab..

I agree that 1 month is not long enough perhaps to see signs of fat loss.  But surely one would expect to lose a couple of kilos in a month?

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I always weigh 73 Kg

No sense in going a weight loss diet  if you're OK with this weight. Additional to your cardio exercise do exercises that target your abs to get rid of spare tire.

Rob13, you're correct - I'm not really concerned with my weight, rather I want to get more fit and healthy, and definitely reduce the flab around my middle.

CharlieH is probably correct that my muscles are slowly 'bulking up' and so my weight isn't changing.

Dr Google tells me that you can't really target any spot area of your body to reduce fat in that area - it is an all-round exercise regime that will slowly reduce the body fat %, and often the flab around the middle will be the last to go :(

Simon,

From teaching fitness for 20 years can I offer the following advice.

1. As we grow older getting rid of fat is harder, our metabolism slows down so burning fat becomes harder.

2. As some have stated starving your body of calories is the opposite of what you need to do. Settle on 5-6 smaller meals per day. If you are starving or drastically reducing calories your body will try to store more calories to protect itself. So if it knows it will get more 'good' calories later it will not store so many.

3. Try to mix your aerobic and anaerobic fitness. Do the cycling but mix it with High Intensity Training. (Sprinting as fast as you possible can for 30 seconds, recover slowly for 2.5 minutes then go again, for 10 times = HIT). The HIT can really spark up your metabolism.

4. Lastly as you may know visceral fat which gathers around the stomach is the last to come off. You will lose fat from the face and upper body first. Lastly the love-handles go.

5. Also remember yes you are burning fat on that cycle, but you are also adding muscle. So you maybe losing 2kg of fat but you have gained 2kg of muscle from the exercise. If you really want to see the difference use a body fat scale. As you start to carry more muscle around, this will naturally burn the fat itself.

Keep trying mix up your fitness every 6 weeks to shock the body, once it get comfortable do something else.

Good luck with the training.

Thanks for the good advice, although...

As some have stated starving your body of calories is the opposite of what you need to do. Settle on 5-6 smaller meals per day. If you are starving or drastically reducing calories ....

I'm not starving my body or drastically reducing calories.  For maybe 40+ years I have only eaten 1200-1400 calories per day - that is what my body 'wants' :)

either your not eating 1000 kcal or you have a medical issue. no 73kg man would not lose weight on that amount. often people underestimate how many calories they are actually taking in. if you really are eating that little i strongly recommend seeing a  doctor.

if you really are eating that little i strongly recommend seeing a  doctor.

LoL, I seem to have survived 58 years without any problems :)

I did a calorie count based on a list of my daily consumption, then checked off against a calorie database.  (I had previously done this check before my dieting, and using a different calorie database).  So the values should be about right.

So if you think I have a medical issue, what might this medical issue be that has allowed me to live a healthy and normal life for 58 years?

Charlie H is correct, as you burn fat you replace it with muscle, muscle weighs more than fat so initially you could actually see weight gain. Stick with it, it will take more than a month to loose the stubborn fat around the belly and love handles, after all, it probably took years for you to get it in the first place.

If  you do too much cardio your muscles will get smaller,  not bigger,  that will mean less mass that needs to be fed from the fat reserves. 

Try HIT not cardio,  and mix it with compound weight exercises,  heavy as you can go twice a week. 

Squats,  deadlifts,  chest and shoulder press and a back exercise. 

No fancy stuff, no biceps curls and vanity exercises.  That will hit your large muscle groups and give the best time vs mass returns.

That increased muscle mass will they use your fat reserves when you are inactive.

Add some power yoga to that mix,  it helps with flexibility as you rock on in years,  and is surprisingly difficult.  

I think you're not using enough energy to burn even the reduced calorie intake that you have adopted.

1 pound of  fat = approx 3,500 calories .

So if you want to lose 1 pound a week you need to eat 500 fewer calories per day, and that's making the assumption, usually not true, that you are normally burning every single calorie you eat daily. (If you only eat 200 calories excess a day - two slices of bread with butter - dropping intake by 500 calories will increase time taken to lose one pound to 12 days.

To lose 2 pounds per week, you would need to eat 1,000 fewer calories per day (with the same reservation that you must currently not be eating a single calorie in excess of daily needs.)

A 1,000 calories is about a 6-10 mile run, very approximately (depending on all those variables like your age, weight, and how fast you run.)

So if you combine the two strategies, and you are already in an existing state of intake/burn calorie balance, you need to do a 3-5 mile run every day, coupled with eating 500 fewer calories per day, to lose two pounds a week.

So if you combine the two strategies, and you are already in an existing state of intake/burn calorie balance, you need to do a 3-5 mile run every day, coupled with eating 500 fewer calories per day, to lose two pounds a week.

Interesting.  From Monday - Friday, I don't have time for running/jogging. I do a 20 minute cycle to work, then a 20 minute cycle home after work, then 30 minutes of in-room exercise, then 3 hours of online teaching, then bed.

But my weekends are generally free of work.  Maybe I should try to devote time on Saturday and Sunday to 'something' that will burn off the calories.

Out of interest, I read about the 5+2 fasting diet.  Perhaps that's a strategy for me.

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

Rob13, you're correct - I'm not really concerned with my weight, rather I want to get more fit and healthy, and definitely reduce the flab around my middle.

CharlieH is probably correct that my muscles are slowly 'bulking up' and so my weight isn't changing.

Dr Google tells me that you can't really target any spot area of your body to reduce fat in that area - it is an all-round exercise regime that will slowly reduce the body fat %, and often the flab around the middle will be the last to go :(

You could look up core exercises:

Core Strengthening Workout Programs
Cable Crunch. 3 sets, 12-15 reps (30-45 seconds rest)
Seated Barbell Twist
Frog Sit-Ups 
Russian Twist
Decline Crunch
If the above doesn't get rid of your flab around your mid range, nothing will, be interested to know if you survive it though, as for me, I like my flab.
You may also want to do an Insulin resistance test as I have heard if your insulin resistant, the food process goes straight to your gut, however I am no expert in this matter, or core exercises,  just a keyboard couch potato 555
Good luck and keep exercising as it is beneficial for all.

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

I did a calorie count based on a list of my daily consumption, then checked off against a calorie database.  (I had previously done this check before my dieting, and using a different calorie database).  So the values should be about right.

So if you think I have a medical issue, what might this medical issue be that has allowed me to live a healthy and normal life for 58 years?

As another poster said, its harder to burn the fat around the gut area as we get older, my hunch is that you may be insulin resistant, its just a hunch, but if you are, that could be a reason for the fat being stored to the gut.

Have a little research into it, just covering all basis, that's all.

4 minutes ago, Grubster said:

A little flab is not a bad thing you know, sounds to me like you are doing yourself some good for sure. Keep it up and smile a lot nobody will notice or care about the flab.

Woman actually like a man with a little flab around the gut area.

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Woman actually like a man with a little flab around the gut area.

Very true and Thai women even like fat asses like me. Look at a fat Thai guy and you will see a very good looking lady with him most times.

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

I did an accurate calorie count on my daily food and drinks - it is typically 1,050 kcalories.

But my normal calorie intake for as long as I can remember is no more than 1,400 kcalories per day.  

So I've reduced my calorie count by about 350, taken up daily cycle and exercise.  Surely, it defies the equation that I am not losing weight, nor the flab..

I agree that 1 month is not long enough perhaps to see signs of fat loss.  But surely one would expect to lose a couple of kilos in a month?

Here is a link, please have a read: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/caroline-j-cederquist-md/metabolism-dysfunction-th_b_6430370.html

my hunch is that you may be insulin resistant ...

I checked the symptoms of this:

Symptoms of insulin resistance

One of the earliest and most noticeable symptoms of insulin resistance is weight gain, particularly around the middle.

Further symptoms include:

• Lethargy
  • Hunger
  • Difficulty concentrating (brain fog)
  • High blood pressure is another common symptom

Well, I've had no weight gain from 73 Kg for as many years as I can remember

- I'm the opposite of lethargic

- I rarely feel hungry

- I can concentrate very well

- My blood pressure levels are absolutely normal (in fact rather low for my age) :)

Update: There is also zero history of diabetes or obesity in my family

But one factor which might be a cause.  I have a very low testosterone level (VERY LOW!), (generic, my father was the same).

Many years ago I had slow-releasing testosterone implants in both sides (maybe 20 years ago).  I have previously had testosterone injections, but my prostrate PSA levels started to increase, so I stopped that.

Could lack of testosterone be a contributing factor?  And if so, what is a method to increase testosterone without risk of increasing PSA?

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

One of the earliest and most noticeable symptoms of insulin resistance is weight gain, particularly around the middle.

• Lethargy
  • Hunger

- I rarely feel hungry

- My blood pressure levels are absolutely normal (in fact rather low for my age) :)

Please read the article I put on one of my posts, here is just an extract:

Surprisingly, you don’t have to be overweight for your cells to be insulin-resistant. Even if your weight is perfectly normal, you can still suffer from its effects. Metabolism dysfunction doesn’t develop overnight and could be caused by one or more triggers including: aging and menopause, genetics, belly/visceral fat, medications, and nutritional deficiencies. We’ll cover all these in subsequent posts. But for now, we’ll cover the two reasons you have no control over — genetic predisposition and aging.

4 minutes ago, simon43 said:

• Lethargy
  • Hunger

- I rarely feel hungry

That list of symptoms is rubbish, from a nonsense source. Insulin resistance has no symptoms that you can feel, even in advanced stages.

That list of symptoms is rubbish, from a nonsense source

Huh?  It is on the diabetes.co.uk community website.  Surely diabetes sufferers can't all be spouting rubbish?  

Are you a medical man?

OK, I'll quote from another relevant website:

In addition, insulin resistance is often associated with the following conditions:

- I don't have (or haven't had) any infection or severe illness

- I am not obese

- I am not pregnant

- I don't use steroids

- I am certainly not stressed

I think you're barking up the wrong tree here :)

Simon - there will be many things that you might read to explain it... good calories and bad calories, having enough fat in your diet, cutting back on calories can reduce your metabolism... 

A friend of mine put it best - we are individual chemistry sets... I found the Adtkins was the only way I could lose weight, but I did not feel it was heart healthy... long time ago, I did vegetarian and that worked well for me so I am back on that.

The weight comes back very easily for me when I go off the diet... eat healthy, be well... 

26 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Huh?  It is on the diabetes.co.uk community website.  Surely diabetes sufferers can't all be spouting rubbish?  

Are you a medical man?

I am surprised, since this is opposite to what I have been taught. For example it is generally thought that obesity causes insulin resistance rather than being caused by it.

Hpertension is also strongly associated with obesity, and so will be associated with insulin resistance , but this does not imply causation. Obesity is known to cause hypertension though. I feel this is a list of associations not symptoms.

But I am not clinically qualified, and am a biochemist, so perhaps I have trodden into an area that I shouldn't.

EDIT: just to prove I'm not actually a complete fool, this is what the National Institute of Health in the US says about insulin resistance: more like what I recognise, and at least shows there is a difference between risk factors and symptoms:

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/what-is-diabetes/prediabetes-insulin-resistance

What are the symptoms of insulin resistance and prediabetes?

Insulin resistance and prediabetes usually have no symptoms. People may have one or both conditions for several years without knowing they have them. Even without symptoms, health care providers can identify people at high risk by their physical characteristics, also known as risk factors.

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

at 58, fat will come off very slowly. When I as 40, I shed 5 kg in 3 months (88kg to 83kg). Now at 48, my weight hasn't moved much following a similar exercise regime. I'm not much of a dieter, but try to reduce sugar mainly. Unless you are a mesomorph, muscle is very slow to build, especially as one ages. I suggest just keep plugging away at the exercise (5 times a week for 30 mins - and include some high intensity work (I use my elliptical and typically have my heart rate at 130-150bpm for 40 to 50 mins). I think keeping your heart in good shape is just as important as any outside appearances. 

Archived