Thai ID for foreigners - Warin Chamrap

phibunmike

Warin Chamrap local government office issues Thai ID cards for foreigners (pink ID card) on Thursdays after 3pm.

Just take your yellow house book and passport - no photocopies or photos required.

60 baht and 20 minutes, all very efficient.

By the way, I am on UK passport and Non-O (retirement) visa.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if you're not willing to pay the 30,000 bht they want in Samui, 

to make the yellow book @ the government office.

Is there a way to make the ID card without the yellow book?

Perhaps getting the residence letter from Immigration...?

7 minutes ago, ajarnmarc said:

What if you're not willing to pay the 30,000 bht they want in Samui, 

to make the yellow book @ the government office.

Is there a way to make the ID card without the yellow book?

Perhaps getting the residence letter from Immigration...?

Yellow book applications etc are supposed to be totally free. 30,000 is well over the top even for  "Thailand charges." 

41 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Yellow books cost around 60 baht and if you need a Thai. village head man as a witness maybe a bottle of whisky as a thank you.30,000 u cant be serious

Bh. 30,000 Baht!!?? I got mine free in KK

42 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Yellow books cost around 60 baht and if you need a Thai. village head man as a witness maybe a bottle of whisky as a thank you.30,000 u cant be serious

Spot on sparkles, head honcho got 1000bht and he had already passed that over to the admin official

1 hour ago, anfh said:

Yellow book applications etc are supposed to be totally free. 30,000 is well over the top even for  "Thailand charges." 

Holy dog s**t, they're in a world of their own over there. 

1,000 to my PYB and coppers to the Tessabaan. It was a breeze - that was 5 years ago.

50 minutes ago, sinbin said:

Why get a 'Foreigners ID card' when your driving license is equally good?

Not so sure on that one ( and without having a Thai foreigners ID card I cannot say what works better) But recently branches of SCB are refusing the Thai Drivers licence and demanding a passport! - Never had trouble before but the last two time I used a branch of SCB that was not my home branch they accepted the licence but told me that next time I needed to bring a passport and that the licence was not acceptable.

I done my in Chiangmai about two weeks ago and it costs me 150 bath, waited about two hours at the office. I only need to show them my passport ( non "O" visa ) and my yellow house book. My house book was done last year and i only paid 20 bath to the official. What I know is that they will only issue pink Thai ID to foreigners that holding yellow house book.

4 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Not so sure on that one ( and without having a Thai foreigners ID card I cannot say what works better) But recently branches of SCB are refusing the Thai Drivers licence and demanding a passport! - Never had trouble before but the last two time I used a branch of SCB that was not my home branch they accepted the licence but told me that next time I needed to bring a passport and that the licence was not acceptable.

That's what i heard, Driving License not excepted at national parks either to get in at Thai price, not sure about the pink one as i give NPs a swerve theses days!

10 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Not so sure on that one ( and without having a Thai foreigners ID card I cannot say what works better)

A Thai driving license is compulsory in obtaining car insurance in Thailand . One must be obtained within 3 months of taking out your insurance policy. Whereas  a Thai ID card is worth zilch.

4 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Driving License not excepted at national parks either to get in at Thai price

No matter what a farang shows at a National park these days you won't be let in at the same rate as a Thai. Thailand is for Thais.

4 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I wish I was wrong about the charge, but we had a couple from Hungary, that wanted to make their yellow book, and they were quoted 60,000 bht by the builder, to make it. We of course know it's supposed to be only 30 bht. So my wife went to the government office in person, and inquired what was needed. The lady in the office @ Nathon stated it would take 30,000 bht, which I wasn't ok with, but the misses went to the Hungarians and informed them of the cost and they approved it. I went with the misses to present all the paper work, since now the ridiculous price had already been stated, my presence wasn't going to increase it at this point. One week later we went to pick it up, and had to place the 30,000 bht in an envelope, for they wouldn't take the cash hand to hand. 

It might seem over the top for Thailand, but apparently it's not for this area.

I asked the misses to ask the clerk if we could make one for me as well, 

since the price was already so high, and the clerk stated sure, 

but it will be an additional 30,000 bht. 

I respectfully declined at that point, 

and wish I could of stated more to the clerk, 

for that is just sure greed at it's finest...

Can someone please state the benefits of having a Yellow Book? I have one but I only obtained it because it was a condition of obtaining 'Medical Insurance' for foreigners a few years back. A premium of 2,200 Baht per year was payable. Plus a 400 Baht medical fee was paid to obtain 'free treatment' at a government hospital. The scheme folded in the first year of conception. Other than that I'd say the Yellow Book is a waste of time, effort and cost.

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

Any chance that you can post the actual Thai Script Name for the pink card? I will take a pic and take it to my local Amphur and see what they say, thanks!

See below for mine (from some of the other threads on the topic running already).

Yellow book was 20 Baht or so (in 2014?).

Pink card was 60 Baht.

Funny to read that I was not the only one who could not be served before 15h (3 PM) :biggrin:

"Switching" the only computer for ID cards.

Yellow book is an absolute precondition.

The YB includes entering your data (in Thai script) to the Thai citizen register.

pink_card_pixelated.jpg

1 hour ago, sinbin said:

A Thai driving license is compulsory in obtaining car insurance in Thailand . One must be obtained within 3 months of taking out your insurance policy. Whereas  a Thai ID card is worth zilch.

No matter what a farang shows at a National park these days you won't be let in at the same rate as a Thai. Thailand is for Thais.

We have visited 6 NP's in the last 3 weeks and just at 1 NP I was charged the full amount. Thailand is as much for Thai's as Malaysia are for Malay people or Saudi Arabia are for Saudi's etc. Thailand is one of a few countries where its easy for expats to stay for a long time without big forced investments. 

38 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

See below for mine (from some of the other threads on the topic running already).

Yellow book was 20 Baht or so (in 2014?).

Pink card was 60 Baht.

Funny to read that I was not the only one who could not be served before 15h (3 PM) :biggrin:

"Switching" the only computer for ID cards.

Yellow book is an absolute precondition.

The YB includes entering your data (in Thai script) to the Thai citizen register.

pink_card_pixelated.jpg

Thanks, now at least I can copy something to take to the local Amphur, I have the yellow Tabien Baan already so maybe I can get one.  I actually thought that these ID cards were only for PR. Do the Pink ones mean it has been issued to a GAY and a Yellow one for a Jew?  They love to keep everything colour coded just to make sure you never quite fit in. One last question - Do you need to renew these cards periodically? i.e. after a change to your passport or are they valid for a lifetime?  Cheers

52 minutes ago, sinbin said:

Can someone please state the benefits of having a Yellow Book? I have one but I only obtained it because it was a condition of obtaining 'Medical Insurance' for foreigners a few years back. A premium of 2,200 Baht per year was payable. Plus a 400 Baht medical fee was paid to obtain 'free treatment' at a government hospital. The scheme folded in the first year of conception. Other than that I'd say the Yellow Book is a waste of time, effort and cost.

my medical insurance with the yellow book is still running.....got a hospital appointment next tuesday which gives me time to find 30 baht for my 2 monthly blood pressure check up and tablets...this is my 5th year on the yellow book insurance.....hopefully get my 6th year this june ?

1 minute ago, nongsangcity said:

my medical insurance with the yellow book is still running.....got a hospital appointment next tuesday which gives me time to find 30 baht for my 2 monthly blood pressure check up and tablets...this is my 5th year on the yellow book insurance.....hopefully get my 6th year this june ?

So how did you manage to swing insurance on the 30 Baht scheme with a yellow book? I thought it had been cancelled a year ago.

59 minutes ago, sinbin said:

I think you are correct, the medical stuff went out the window in 2014 / 2015

6 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Thanks, now at least I can copy something to take to the local Amphur, I have the yellow Tabien Baan already so maybe I can get one.  I actually thought that these ID cards were only for PR. Do the Pink ones mean it has been issued to a GAY and a Yellow one for a Jew?  They love to keep everything colour coded just to make sure you never quite fit in. One last question - Do you need to renew these cards periodically? i.e. after a change to your passport or are they valid for a lifetime?  Cheers

7 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Thanks, now at least I can co mine received their py something to take to the local Amphur, I have the yellow Tabien Baan already so maybe I can get one.  I actually thought that these ID cards were only for PR. Do the Pink ones mean it has been issued to a GAY and a Yellow one for a Jew?  They love to keep everything colour coded just to make sure you never quite fit in. One last question - Do you need to renew these cards periodically? i.e. after a change to your passport or are they valid for a lifetime?  Cheers

you do not need a yellow book first to obtain a pink ID card.....2 friends of mine received Pink ID cards recently neither have a yellow book.....in fact 1 applied for the yellow book and ended up with the Pink ID card which he didnt ask for...this is in Bueng Kkan province

19 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

One last question - Do you need to renew these cards periodically? i.e. after a change to your passport or are they valid for a lifetime?  Cheers

Valid for 10 years from issue date if your are under 60 yr. old (as seen in the picture of my card).

Different from Thai ID cards.

Lifetime when issued from the age of 60 yr.

This is the same as with Thai ID cards.

10 minutes ago, nongsangcity said:

you do not need a yellow book first to obtain a pink ID card.....2 friends of mine received Pink ID cards recently neither have a yellow book.....in fact 1 applied for the yellow book and ended up with the Pink ID card which he didnt ask for...this is in Bueng Kkan province

So this seems to have relaxed. My experience is not that up-to-date.

Did they tell you what paperwork was required?

5 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

So how did you manage to swing insurance on the 30 Baht scheme with a yellow book? I thought it had been cancelled a year ago.

i  have no idea....i go along every year to the local hospital....they check on the computer and they say yes,,,its all good....there was an increase this year for the medical i think i paid 2500 bht...had the full medical tests and was pleased to find out i wasnt having a baby...but they said the price for this current year mine is due 29th june has gone back down to 2200b,,,i use the service every two months for check up and tablets and its 30 b every time and all the info is stored on the hospital computer system...there are 2 others in this area on the same scheme.....1 smashed his ankle 3 operations, metal rods in his ankles....bill was 60000 b,,he showed his card and his bill was settled at 30 b....

Archived