Thai ID for foreigners - Warin Chamrap

phibunmike

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some thoughts:
ID accepted as proof of residence abroad (and at customs), provided there is a notarized translation.
Yellow book with translation and stamps, at least in my experience, not accepted as proof of residence at banks abroad. 
ID accepted as proof of residence locally, in a much handier size then the yellow book.

Yellow book proves the owner of the house granted you the right to stay in the house or apartment, even if there is no further contract to that effect.

To get the ID the Amphoe checked:
passport (with current year-visa) and Yellow book (all with with one copy).
Signature of trusted person, in this area the village head-man.

9 hours ago, nongsangcity said:

my medical insurance with the yellow book is still running.....got a hospital appointment next tuesday which gives me time to find 30 baht for my 2 monthly blood pressure check up and tablets...this is my 5th year on the yellow book insurance.....hopefully get my 6th year this june ?

So what is your current premium that you pay annually?

Sorry if I missed something elsewhere on the forums, but I just found out today that the scheme for Government Health care for foreigners ceased on 27/6/2014 by order of the Government.

13 hours ago, sinbin said:

Why get a 'Foreigners ID card' when your driving license is equally good?

Drivers license is not an ID card.

When you get a new pasport this will have a different pasport nr than what is on your drivers license.

Change of address? Differs from your drivers license.

35 minutes ago, bandito said:

When you get a new pasport this will have a different pasport nr than what is on your drivers license

33 minutes ago, bandito said:

It's your responsibility to get the Thai license amended.

I never said it was. But it was once acceptable in giving you the same right of pricing of a Thai to get into a national park.

12 hours ago, ajarnmarc said:

I wish I was wrong about the charge, but we had a couple from Hungary, that wanted to make their yellow book, and they were quoted 60,000 bht by the builder, to make it. We of course know it's supposed to be only 30 bht. So my wife went to the government office in person, and inquired what was needed. The lady in the office @ Nathon stated it would take 30,000 bht, which I wasn't ok with, but the misses went to the Hungarians and informed them of the cost and they approved it. I went with the misses to present all the paper work, since now the ridiculous price had already been stated, my presence wasn't going to increase it at this point. One week later we went to pick it up, and had to place the 30,000 bht in an envelope, for they wouldn't take the cash hand to hand. 

It might seem over the top for Thailand, but apparently it's not for this area.

I asked the misses to ask the clerk if we could make one for me as well, 

since the price was already so high, and the clerk stated sure, 

but it will be an additional 30,000 bht. 

I respectfully declined at that point, 

and wish I could of stated more to the clerk, 

for that is just sure greed at it's finest...

Well paying stupid money is just feeding corruption.Why did you not  (a) check before you went on various forums, (b) just laughed at them and walked out.       "Over the top" hardly describes it and now the next person who rolls up will get the same treatment, ie extortion.The yellow book only confirms you live there its not gold and only saves you geting a residence letter for driving licence etcit really has no other significant purpose unles your spouse passes away.

You should report them on the corruption hot line or put a letter into the Bangkok Post "Leters to the editor"

My pink ID card for which I paid 60 baht, inc plastic envelope has my fingerprints and blood group handy in case of accident and being in Thai if you happen to get involved with a Thai policeman who cant read English show it to him.Many peope ebaulk at the thought of their fingerprints being held. As I dont plan on any major crime its ok with me.

14 minutes ago, sinbin said:

It's your responsibility to get the Thai license amended.

I never said it was. But it was once acceptable in giving you the same right of pricing of a Thai to get into a national park.

The days of a Thai licence getting you into a national park for the same price as a Thai are over according to dozens of reports.In fact some parks the fee has been increased significantly

12 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

We have visited 6 NP's in the last 3 weeks and just at 1 NP I was charged the full amount.

Congrats on getting arounnd the system. I haven't been given equal access to NP's or the likes of Korat zoo in over 2 years.http://www.2pricethailand.com/

12 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Thailand is one of a few countries where its easy for expats to stay for a long time without big forced investments.

800,000 Baht in a bank to obtain a Visa Extension isn't forced investment??? You're having a laugh.

3 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

The days of a Thai licence getting you into a national park for the same price as a Thai are over according to dozens of reports.In fact some parks the fee has been increased significantly

See the link in my post above this.

12 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

And this is how they did/do it.

058.jpg

In Thailand, we have our own numbers which are unique to the Thai language. However, you will be happy to know that when you are shopping you will nearly always see the price written using Arabic numbers. This means that you won’t have to learn how the numbers are written if you go shopping. Most shopkeepers at roadside stores have a calculator handy so that they will tap out the price for you. But it is a good idea to try and learn How to Pronounce Thai Numbers.

We are sorry to say that some tourist attractions in Thailand have a two-price system where they charge foreign visitors more than local people. Usually the entrance fee is always written using Arabic numbers. If you spot the prices written in Thai numbers and Arabic numbers then for sure there are two prices. I think they do it this way because they are ashamed to let you know they are charging you double. I can’t think of any other reason to hide the prices like this.

In the picture at the top of the page, the second and third rows are the prices for adults and children respectively. The last row is the price for foreigners and is clearly written as 160 baht.

numbers.gif

Use the chart above to work out the price for Thai people (answers at the bottom of this page). You will see that foreigners have to pay double.

Below are two more examples of how some people disguise the fact they are charging more for foreigners. The example below is different from most as the prices are written out in words.

060.jpg

(1) poo-yai chao Thai neung roy baht (Thai adults 100 baht)
(2) dek chao Thai ha-sib baht (Thai children 50 baht)
(3) poo-yai dtang chart song roy ha-sib baht (Foreign adults 250 baht)
(4) dek dtang chart neung roy yee-sib baht (Foreign children 120 baht)

059.jpg

In the above example they thought they were being clever by having only one price list. But, if you can read the last line in Thai you will know it says “lot ha-sib baht“. This means reduce the price by 50 baht. The top line clearly says this is only for “khon Thai” or Thai people.

ANSWERS: The price for adults is 80 baht and children 60 baht.

A friend of mine who is in Thailand already long and speaks Thai well explained to me the two tier pricing as follows: On the signs usually are different prices for "Thai" and "Foreigners". But this isn't quite correct. There are different prices for locals and tourists as in many other countries too. Thus even being a foreigner but can proof with the pink id card being a local you should get the local price. He did it already. But may be you have to insist to be a local and ask for the manager.

So I'll go and get a pink id card.

3 hours ago, bandito said:

When you get a new pasport this will have a different pasport nr than what is on your drivers license.

Change of address? Differs from your drivers license.

Any Government issued card with a photo is an ID card and can be used as such

1 hour ago, willi2006 said:

but can proof with the pink id card being a local you should get the local price.

'Should' isn't necessary a confirmation you will get. Even 'Isaan Lawyers'  doesn't know the full benefits of obtaining a Pink Card.

What are the benefits? We will see….maybe you will pay Thai prices in national parks? Maybe you won’t have to always carry your passport

http://www.isaanlawyers.com/pink-thai-id-card-foreigners-thailand/

No matter what a farang shows at a National park these days you won't be let in at the same rate as a Thai. Thailand is for Thais.

No trouble recently in Krabi national park with my Thai Id, and also last year at Nong Khai aquarium. Me Thai price, and my farang mate, been here since Peace Corps, falang price, no Thai ID card.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, boughtoncestrian said:

what paperwork is required to obtain a yellow book  and thai ID card. Many thanks for imfo  

There are numerous threads on the yellow book.

Requirements differ much from one district office to another.

Although this thread is not the latest, it will within the first few post give an idea how much requirements can vary:

23 hours ago, ajarnmarc said:

What if you're not willing to pay the 30,000 bht they want in Samui, 

to make the yellow book @ the government office.

Is there a way to make the ID card without the yellow book?

Perhaps getting the residence letter from Immigration...?

The lady who asked for the 30000 thb is not there anymore. Also there is no need anymore of your passport translated.  So things getting better on Samui.

7 hours ago, sinbin said:

So what is your current premium that you pay annual

there is no charge...apart from the medical i go through each year. chest x ray...urine test...blood pressure test....full blood test...last year i think i paid around 2500b....ive been informed this year medical examination fee has dropped to 2200b...but i will see in June when i try again for another years cover ?

39 minutes ago, nongsangcity said:

there is no charge...apart from the medical i go through each year. chest x ray...urine test...blood pressure test....full blood test...last year i think i paid around 2500b....ive been informed this year medical examination fee has dropped to 2200b...but i will see in June when i try again for another years cover ?

I really don't understand what you're covered by. But it certainly isn't the 'Foreigners Medical Scheme'  that was in place at onetime.  For that there was an initial fee of 400 Baht for the medical(one off) and an annual fee of 2,200 thereafter, and that was scraped within the first year of introduction.

10 hours ago, bandito said:

Yes it can be used as an ID card

It has been reported today  29/07/2014 that the Thai Immigration bureau will be enforcing an old rule that all foreigners residing in the Kingdom of Thailand or on holiday must carry a copy of Identification with them and this can be in the form of the following.

• Thai driving license
  • Copy of foreigners passport
  • Foreigners original passport “not recommended”

•  

7 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Any Government issued card with a photo is an ID card and can be used as such

You are correct Canopus.

4 hours ago, renevanb7 said:

The lady who asked for the 30000 thb is not there anymore. Also there is no need anymore of your passport translated.  So things getting better on Samui.

That's great news.

Thank you for the update.

I felt that all my paperwork was in order, and had tried in 2015, 

at which time I was denied, due to not being married, 

and not having my children declared by the government as being from me, 

even though I'm on both of the birth certificates.

Though it does make since that anyone could be written in on the birth certificates, 

as long as your around when the children are born.

Then when it was requested by the Hungarians that they wanted to make one, 

my wife went through the motions to see what the clerks would say?

Only to be slapped with the 30,000 bht fee request.

Only when my wife inform the couple of the fee requirement, 

were we informed that the builder to their new home, 

had stated the fee was 60,000 bht,

so the couple felt this was a deal, 

in some way, and proceeded with the documents.

Even then it took 10 working days to have the book issued.

I also couldn't believe the clerk wouldn't make a book for myself, 

since we had brought these clerks some over the top fee's in the first place.

They were certainly less than grateful for the business.

I will try again in the following week to see if things have improved...

as I'd really like to get the ID card.

My drivers license rarely helps for checkin,

the clerks always ask for PP.

In 17 years, no improvement with excepting alternative forms of ID, 

without some sort of issue, and management approval required.

Hopefully an ID card (pink) would help to simplify things some.

I also have an e-passport card issued from the Embassy, 

which turns out to be totally useless within Thailand.

When i went to the passport agency to get passports made for our children in Surat, 

they asked for my passport. I flashed my e-passport card, and it was denied without even a glance.

Backed up with my driver license...nah

Copy of my passport was within the submitted documents; of course.

Yet still not good enough, needed to return to Samui, 

get the passport, and bring it to the office in person.

4 hours ago, sinbin said:

I really don't understand what you're covered by. But it certainly isn't the 'Foreigners Medical Scheme'  that was in place at onetime.  For that there was an initial fee of 400 Baht for the medical(one off) and an annual fee of 2,200 thereafter, and that was scraped within the first year of introduction.

sinbin....sorry this is thailand as you know every person,office ,building,proffesional you meet has its own story.....if i knew how to put a picture on here i woulkd show you my card from my local hospital....,,...this is my 5th year on a scheme i dont know if its a Foreigners medical scheme...i can only use my local hospital ...if they decide they cannot treat me my local hospital has to send me to a better bigger city hospital and with this i am covered.......if i am outside my local area then the scheme is no good...i must some how get to my local hoispital first..,.,.there is as far as i know 3 lads in my area on the same scheme and we all use it......you are not covered for Dental treatment,,,,and any motor accident treatment as they expect the motor insurance to cover this....sorry i dont know how to put a photo on here to show you....and its all in thai as well....

Nongsangcity does your wife work in the 'Civil Service' or the likes? If so, why you get free treatment is explained below.

As a foreigner in Thailand you normally have to pay for all medical treatment received. Whether at a public or private hospital.  However if legally married to a Thai who is covered by a special scheme, like that provided for the Civil Service for example, then treatment is free for the foreigner or the spouse can claim it back at a later date.

Also covered, under the scheme, is your wife's parents and her /your children. So I understand.

17 hours ago, sinbin said:

Nongsangcity does your wife work in the 'Civil Service' or the likes? If so, why you get free treatment is explained below.

Also covered, under the scheme, is your wife's parents and her /your children. So I understand.

Sinbin...if you have a thai phone number let me have it and i will send you a photo via a phone message of my card....i dont get free treatment....i paid last year 2500b for the medical etc and a new lamanated card and everytime i visit my local hospital its 30 baht if its for tablets which i have every two months and a check up....i needed a x ray couple of months ago and a chat with the hospital doctor and tablets bill was 30b...no my wife doesnt work for the civil service in fact she doesnt even live in Thailand...i carnt tell you whats on the card as its all in thai with my pohoto...well i know it has my name ,DOB,and address and the expire date which is june 30th 2560..

Leave it as it is Nongsangcity. I'm not disbelieving what you say but you seem a little unique as a farang in that you seem to be still getting the now defunct 'Foreigners Medical Scheme'.  As far as I can make out. I'm totally confused.

18 hours ago, Patriot said:

This is superb .... so if I pay 60 baht for an ID card, I could save 25 Baht every time I visit a National Park or Zoo. Belter; I'm onto a real winner here.

My card was free at Chonburi and cost me about an hour at the office.

If you were to visit Muang Boran it would save you 350 baht and 200 baht at Pattaya Floating market but obviously worthless if you are not interested.

Personally I see the convenience of a compact ID in your pocket. I live in the sticks and if for some reason I couldn't get picked up its an easy way to show a taxi driver my address in Thai. Threw a way the piece of paper I had in my wallet for years.

Advocating a Thai driving licence doesn't do a lot for those that don't drive.

2 hours ago, sinbin said:

Leave it as it is Nongsangcity. I'm not disbelieving what you say but you seem a little unique as a farang in that you seem to be still getting the now defunct 'Foreigners Medical Scheme'.  As far as I can make out. I'm totally confused.

ok your phone number and you can look at my card....i know of another 2 near me on the same scheme....send me your number please...

Archived