Thai ID for foreigners - Warin Chamrap

phibunmike

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i  have no idea....i go along every year to the local hospital....they check on the computer and they say yes,,,its all good....there was an increase this year for the medical i think i paid 2500 bht...had the full medical tests and was pleased to find out i wasnt having a baby...but they said the price for this current year mine is due 29th june has gone back down to 2200b,,,i use the service every two months for check up and tablets and its 30 b every time and all the info is stored on the hospital computer system...there are 2 others in this area on the same scheme.....1 smashed his ankle 3 operations, metal rods in his ankles....bill was 60000 b,,he showed his card and his bill was settled at 30 b....

No wonder Thailand is going broke.

A bank will accept it as ID. If you experienced a situation where they didn't accept it as ID then you must have been having a bad day. Even Immigration accept DL's as proof of ID. Or even a copy of your passport. I'd regard Immigration as being an 'Official Institution'.

It has been reported today  29/07/2014 that the Thai Immigration bureau will be enforcing an old rule that all foreigners residing in the Kingdom of Thailand or on holiday must carry a copy of Identification with them and this can be in the form of the following.

• Thai driving license
  • Copy of foreigners passport
  • Foreigners original passport “not recommended”

•  

6 minutes ago, nongsangcity said:

you can fly on a thai driving license on internal flights

I think what you mean is...you can use your Thai Drivers license to fly domestically.

This is true, yet it still depends on the lady or man @ the ticket counter.

I've checked in without issue, only to have a friend be asked by the same lady, 

on the same day, for the same flight, for a return ticket to the foreigners home country, 

as a form of guarantee of sorts; is what was explained to us, when we tried to question the return ticket issue.

My friend had to charge a flight to his home country via credit card,

at the counter, in order to checkin for the flight he was about to board;

which he could later refund or change dates of departure.

I've had several instances where I pulled out my driver license, 

when asked for a passport, only to have the personnel look at the drivers license, 

and then still ask for my passport. When I point out that my passport # is on my drivers license, 

the personal just look at me crazy, and stated passport please.

People have stated you can have a copy of your passport for most things.

I went to get a residence letter from Immigration.

The I/O know me as a long term residence,

so I thought I could simply get by with a copy of the front page,

and a copy of my current non O visa...

and if any issues came up, I could show them a copy I have on my phone.

Nope sent home to get the actual passport to return and present.

Paid the 1000 bht for the process of the residence letter, 

which some also say, can be had for free.

What was the real kicker though, was when I went to the land transport office, 

to renew my drivers license with the residence letter.

I asked to make the drivers license, took the test, 

and asked if I could also renew my motorcycle license as I had forgot I had to do as well, 

when I checked in. 

Guy @ the counter states 

1. Not say first time I want to make license for car & motorcycle

2. Need to have two Dr. notes 

3. Need to have two residence letters

I tried to explain I was just renewing the licenses, which I already have, 

and why the need for the additional documents, when everything is being made on the same day, 

same time?

No response forthcoming. 

So much for trying to cover my ass with both forms of documentation, 

so I may travel with either auto or motorcycle.

Never mind that the Transport office just had a chance to increase the fee's they were about to receive from one person.

Or the idea that one person was simply trying to abide by the law in all the required ways possible.

Meanwhile a friend of mind, travels to BKK, never had a drivers license in Thailand, 

been here for 20 years, but can't be bothered with the formality; 

gets pulled over in BKK. 

Police issue him a 500 bht ticket for driving without a license and send him on his way.

22 hours ago, sinbin said:

It has been reported today  29/07/2014 that the Thai Immigration bureau will be enforcing an old rule that all foreigners residing in the Kingdom of Thailand or on holiday must carry a copy of Identification with them and this can be in the form of the following.

• Thai driving license
  • Copy of foreigners passport
  • Foreigners original passport “not recommended”

•  

A rule from 2014, it is now 2017.

Thai driving license will not be accepted as ID anymore.

Copy of passport will not be accepted as ID anymore.

All Thais are requested to have an ID card from the age of seven and must produce one if asked or be fined.

No Thai is using his or her drivers license as ID as they are issued ID cards.

Foreigners are requested to show their passport when asked or be fined.

Banks are not accepting drivers licenses as ID as they did before, maybe in the sticks they still will.

You try to get a resident certificate or some other document from Immigration by showing your drivers license as ID, no way they will accept this.

14 hours ago, ajarnmarc said:

I think what you mean is...you can use your Thai Drivers license to fly domestically.

This is true, yet it still depends on the lady or man @ the ticket counter.

I've checked in without issue, only to have a friend be asked by the same lady, 

on the same day, for the same flight, for a return ticket to the foreigners home country, 

as a form of guarantee of sorts; is what was explained to us, when we tried to question the return ticket issue.

My friend had to charge a flight to his home country via credit card,

at the counter, in order to checkin for the flight he was about to board;

which he could later refund or change dates of departure.

I've had several instances where I pulled out my driver license, 

when asked for a passport, only to have the personnel look at the drivers license, 

and then still ask for my passport. When I point out that my passport # is on my drivers license, 

the personal just look at me crazy, and stated passport please.

People have stated you can have a copy of your passport for most things.

I went to get a residence letter from Immigration.

The I/O know me as a long term residence,

so I thought I could simply get by with a copy of the front page,

and a copy of my current non O visa...

and if any issues came up, I could show them a copy I have on my phone.

Nope sent home to get the actual passport to return and present.

Paid the 1000 bht for the process of the residence letter, 

which some also say, can be had for free.

What was the real kicker though, was when I went to the land transport office, 

to renew my drivers license with the residence letter.

I asked to make the drivers license, took the test, 

and asked if I could also renew my motorcycle license as I had forgot I had to do as well, 

when I checked in. 

Guy @ the counter states 

1. Not say first time I want to make license for car & motorcycle

2. Need to have two Dr. notes 

3. Need to have two residence letters

I tried to explain I was just renewing the licenses, which I already have, 

and why the need for the additional documents, when everything is being made on the same day, 

same time?

No response forthcoming. 

So much for trying to cover my ass with both forms of documentation, 

so I may travel with either auto or motorcycle.

Never mind that the Transport office just had a chance to increase the fee's they were about to receive from one person.

Or the idea that one person was simply trying to abide by the law in all the required ways possible.

Meanwhile a friend of mind, travels to BKK, never had a drivers license in Thailand, 

been here for 20 years, but can't be bothered with the formality; 

gets pulled over in BKK. 

Police issue him a 500 bht ticket for driving without a license and send him on his way.

sounds about right.....i seem to think people who are employed to do a job dont even know how to do their own job....mind blowing at times....i had a good time in my local amphur a while back...trying to get my yellow book...had to jump through hoops etc...spent 4 hours with a nice lady typing out my information etc etc etc...when finished she handed the paper work to her boss....he looked at me and ripped the paperwork up and threw it in the bin....i asked what was the problem he replied to the lady he doesnt like falangs and he doesnt like me.......any way to get round this problem i was called back into the Amphur office on the Gentlemans day off and his underling signed it all off....

7 hours ago, bandito said:

A rule from 2014, it is now 2017.

Thai driving license will not be accepted as ID anymore.

Copy of passport will not be accepted as ID anymore.

All Thais are requested to have an ID card from the age of seven and must produce one if asked or be fined.

No Thai is using his or her drivers license as ID as they are issued ID cards.

Foreigners are requested to show their passport when asked or be fined.

Banks are not accepting drivers licenses as ID as they did before, maybe in the sticks they still will.

You try to get a resident certificate or some other document from Immigration by showing your drivers license as ID, no way they will accept this.

1. Please show me a link saying 2014 rule is obsolete?

2. Please show me a link showing otherwise. See answer 8.

3.  Please show me a link. See answer 8.

4. So they fine a 7 year old because they had no ID when out playing?

5. If forgotten, a DL is acceptable.

6. How much is the fine for no passport? Show a link. See answer 8

A police spokesman has said that foreigners in Thailand are not required to carry their passports with them at all times, according to reports.

The statement follows reports of tourists and expats in central Bangkok being extorted by police for not carrying passports.

7. Please show a link.

8. Different Immigration Office different rules. They will accept DL &/or a passport copy if passport is away being renewed.

On 2/27/2017 at 7:18 PM, nongsangcity said:

how is Thailand going broke ?

The military government has spent 85 percent of the funds that the Thai government had in reserves since the junta took control just three years ago.

However, despite blowing through nearly all of Thailand’s savings in just a few short years, on Monday the Finance Minister said that the government is not going broke.

Finance Minister Apisak Tantivorawong shared the startling fact that the country has only THB75 billion in reserves. However, Decharut Sukkumnoed, an economics professor at Kasetsart University, noted that the government had THB495 billion when the junta seized power in 2014.

Apisak actually said, “Having a high treasury balance is a burden on the government” since, in his mind, large savings means that the country may pay higher interest on loans and that a massive reduction in savings means that the country is using loans less, reported .

He said that the spending was purposeful but many people doubted this and view the and proposed soda tax as desperate governmental attempts to raise the reserves.

The current reserves are the lowest the country has seen in more than a decade. Even in the last ten years, the second lowest savings the country had was almost double what is currently held at THB142.7 billion in 2007.

When these facts came to light Monday, PM Prayuth Chan-ocha was angry at the spending accusations and pointed the finger at farmers, flood victims and others that have asked for financial assistance from the government.

As it stands now, the current approved budget shows that the government will see a loss of THB390 billion for 2017.

17 hours ago, sinbin said:

1. Please show me a link saying 2014 rule is obsolete?

2. Please show me a link showing otherwise. See answer 8.

3.  Please show me a link. See answer 8.

4. So they fine a 7 year old because they had no ID when out playing?

5. If forgotten, a DL is acceptable.

6. How much is the fine for no passport? Show a link. See answer 8

7. Please show a link.

8. Different Immigration Office different rules. They will accept DL &/or a passport copy if passport is away being renewed.

If you want any links, Google and find them yourself.

To open a bankaccount you need to show your passport and a Thai his/her ID card.

Immigration accept only drivers license at 90 day reporting, for address purposes, as you already handed over your pasport.

A DL is not an ID because there is no mention on it what visa you have, only your, sometimes outdated, address and, also sometimes outdated, passport number.

My Thai wife got fined, years ago, Bht 200- = now 500- for not having her ID card on her person.

A Thai is reguired to have an ID with and on them at all times.

The same rule applies to foreigners, passport to show when asked.

I will end this discussion now, have a nice day.:sleep:

I went overseas in February. Before departing I had to hunt around in my house safe to find it. Hadn't seen it for months. Having a Thai ID card is a wonderful thing. I carry it on me all the time. Open bank accounts with it, show it at hotels in Thailand, or anywhere else where identification is required. The beauty of it, is that it has one’s home address on it (hotels like this because they write the address down quickly in Thai). It is for life for those of us over the age of 60. And if one changes one’s address, it is very easy to change the ID card. I know because I have done it.

I haven’t used it to purchase a car, because when I purchased my last car in 2008, I did not have an ID card then. So if any of you out there are able to get a pink ID card, go ahead and get one. You will never regret it. I am sure Phibunmike would agree.

I went overseas in February. Before departing I had to hunt around in my house safe to find it. Hadn't seen it for months. Having a Thai ID card is a wonderful thing. I carry it on me all the time. Open bank accounts with it, show it at hotels in Thailand, or anywhere else where identification is required. The beauty of it, is that it has one’s home address on it (hotels like this because they write the address down quickly in Thai). It is for life for those of us over the age of 60. And if one changes one’s address, it is very easy to change the ID card. I know because I have done it.

I haven’t used it to purchase a car, because when I purchased my last car in 2008, I did not have an ID card then. So if any of you out there are able to get a pink ID card, go ahead and get one. You will never regret it. I am sure Phibunmike would agree.

Hi Michael, you are the best! Hehe, totally agree with your comment.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, Anthony Loh said:

Hi Michael, you are the best! Hehe, totally agree with your comment.

I can certainly imagine all the benefits from having it.

Just wish it was so corrupt where I am in getting one.

Though in all fairness, I haven't tried to actually get the id card, 

I had such a bad experience trying to get the yellow book.

It appears that we need the yellow book in order to get the id card though, 

or at least that's what the ampur / Anthong office is stating.

Has anyone else been told this?

As I know I can't trust the group that man the office here, 

or at least I couldn't. 

I read there's new staff in Samui, 

which I hope is true, for the old staff were so full of themselves...

57 minutes ago, ajarnmarc said:

It appears that we need the yellow book in order to get the id card though, 

or at least that's what the ampur / Anthong office is stating.

My local office is asking for a 'Yellow Book' and ones 'passport'. No payment, free issue.

On 3/1/2017 at 9:45 AM, bandito said:

My Thai wife got fined, years ago, Bht 200- = now 500- for not having her ID card on her person.

Not correct. The fine currently is between a 100 to 2,000 Baht. The actual amount is left to the discretion of a senior officer as to the actual figure.

6 minutes ago, sinbin said:

My local office is asking for a 'Yellow Book' and ones 'passport'. No payment, free issue.

Thank you for the reply.

In Samui the yellow book is far from free, is the issue.

Has anyone tried getting the yellow book in Samui lately?

If so, how much were they trying to charge for it?

And when did you apply for it?

I tried last year, and was flat turned down the first time, 

for my children weren't declared mine by the courts, 

even though I'm on a non O visa as visiting my children, 

for the past four years straight, the local office just stated no!

Bring in some clients of ours from Hungary, who have bought a house, 

and the government office says can do, pay 30,000 bht, yes 30,000 bht.

I tried to get one for myself included.

They stated that would be 60,000 bht for two yellow books.

I just laughed and let my wife take care of the Hungarians who were willing to pay that crazy fee...

While other here post it was free or 30 bht, and just took a few hours or a day or two, 

it took this office 10 days to process the magic book, 

even with the cash in the special envelope.

For my 'Yellow Book' I had to provide a translated copy of my passport certified by the Ministry of Foreign affairs. The actual 'Yellow Book' was free. Can't remember costs of translation and MoFA fees.

For my 'Yellow Book' I had to provide a translated copy of my passport certified by the Ministry of Foreign affairs. The actual 'Yellow Book' was free. Can't remember costs of translation and MoFA fees.

Mine, need to certified by the embassy first and translated into Thai ( translation cost is 500 batt). For the yellow house book I need to pay 150 batt to the government official and this was done one year ago in Chiangmai.

I for one have an o visa, drivers license and yellow house book and Im not giving them any more info. I think they have enough info on me but dont want to give me residence status. I wish my home country would treat them the same as they do me then maybe they might understand how unfair their system is to foreigners.

2 hours ago, Anthony Loh said:

Mine, need to certified by the embassy first and translated into Thai ( translation cost is 500 batt). For the yellow house book I need to pay 150 batt to the government official and this was done one year ago in Chiangmai.

We didn't have to get a translation for the Hungarians we brought to the office.

I personally never got far enough into it for them to state if they wanted a translation of my PP.

But I'm sure the Hungarians got their Yellow book without the translation.

Guess the seed money went towards something...

Yet for our location, the fee completely out weighs the benefits.

I'm in for the ID card, can see the benefits of having one, 

but won't be able to get that without the Yellow book, 

since I'm unable to get one processed for the base fee.

We didn't have to get a translation for the Hungarians we brought to the office.
I personally never got far enough into it for them to state if they wanted a translation of my PP.
But I'm sure the Hungarians got their Yellow book without the translation.
Guess the seed money went towards something...
Yet for our location, the fee completely out weighs the benefits.
I'm in for the ID card, can see the benefits of having one, 
but won't be able to get that without the Yellow book, 
since I'm unable to get one processed for the base fee.

As all here know very well that in Thailand, different area Ampur or Tessabaan under the same rules but sometime requirements or request is a bit more difficult/differently, as they always have the right to request more documents when we applying some thing. To me is, if I'm applying for something and I have been told to prove more, I will sure fulfill what they wanted to make thing go easy.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:58 PM, sinbin said:

Not correct. The fine currently is between a 100 to 2,000 Baht. The actual amount is left to the discretion of a senior officer as to the actual figure.

I said, years ago probably more than 20.

A Thai will not get fined more than Bht 500-, probably less.

You as a farang more, serves you right trying to use your DL as an ID.

Archived