Thai ID for foreigners - Warin Chamrap

phibunmike

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:45 PM, sinbin said:

My local office is asking for a 'Yellow Book' and ones 'passport'. No payment, free issue.

Passport?

I thought you said that a DL as identification was enough?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/4/2017 at 9:18 AM, bandito said:

Passport?

I thought you said that a DL as identification was enough?

To get a Pink card? Please show me where I said they'd accept a DL to obtain a Pink card.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:22 PM, sinbin said:

To get a Pink card? Please show me where I said they'd accept a DL to obtain a Pink card.

In earlier posts you maintained that a DL as ID, instead of a passport, is enough.

It seems not, as you are using a passport to ID yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/02/2017 at 2:18 PM, KhunBENQ said:

There are numerous threads on the yellow book.

Requirements differ much from one district office to another.

Although this thread is not the latest, it will within the first few post give an idea how much requirements can vary:

I follow your link, congratulation KhunBENK for your clear and complete explanation for this yellow book :thumbsup:+:jap:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2017 at 8:28 PM, sinbin said:

A Thai driving license is compulsory in obtaining car insurance in Thailand . One must be obtained within 3 months of taking out your insurance policy. Whereas  a Thai ID card is worth zilch.

No matter what a farang shows at a National park these days you won't be let in at the same rate as a Thai. Thailand is for Thais.

Re the Thai driving license to obtain car insurance I would have thought that was obvious it is certainly necessary anywhere I have applied and is unrelated to ID cards

33 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Re the Thai driving license to obtain car insurance I would have thought that was obvious

I know of many who seem to think an International license covers you in Thailand regarding obtaining insurance. I don't think it's as obvious as me and you know it to be.

15 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:

Okay if I fly in to suvarnibhumi go to avis and get my rental car with my US license Im not insured ??? Please quote the law or statue that says im not covered by thai insurance with a valid foreign drivers license. 

You are covered by the insurance. If you care to look at the small print on Thai insurances it tells you that you must obtain a Thai licence within 3 months of your arrival in Thailand. A 12 month International Licence is good for 3 months only. That is what I'm saying.

Many farang who've been here donkeys years think their International Licence is acceptable indefinitely.

Private Hospital yesterday morning, twisted ankle.

Notorious for the "passport' requirement.....I showed my Thai-Foreigner ID and within 30 minutes all set.

It shows!!

Archived