Video: Hunt on for foreigner on big bike who hit three year old in buggy

webfact

2 hours ago, Canceraid said:

Seriously...some people are not fit to be parents! Common thats not the way to cross a busy road with a baby. Same also, I find a lot of stupid foreigners pushing baby prams with their babies in areas like Jatujak Weekend Market!!!!!!!! The crowds, heat and risk of infectious air borne diseases alone should serve as a deterrent but not these buffoons! Not to say that they are also blocking other shoppers.

Yes, let's ban babies-they're always getting in the way and so obnoxious!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Perhaps you could give some examples of when it would not be safe to stop for pedestrians? In the west (Canada) pedestrians always have the right of way. Hit one in a crosswalk and you have no argument.

I know you didn't ask me, but i'm burning for this subject, and in Thailand it's simply unsafe to stop for pedestrians when you have vehicles behind you. I have personally been involved in one situation where I stopped for pedestrians and the vehicles behind me collided because I stopped. 

24 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

you are posting incorrect information, like I said in a post above - in the west (UK) yes vehicles are required to stop at a pedestrian crossing ONLY WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO, pedestrians have no right of way until all the vehicles have stopped to allow them to cross  - that is fact and is common sense, these people walked out onto the road (crossing or not) when the traffic was still moving, it is 100% their fault regardless if they were at a crossing - even In the west (UK) if there was a crossing they did not use it properly - the fact that it is Thailand is even adds a whole pile of extra dangers because Thais don't know how to use them and the laws are not enforced

24 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Perhaps you could give some examples of when it would not be safe to stop for pedestrians? In the west (Canada) pedestrians always have the right of way. Hit one in a crosswalk and you have no argument.

tell you what, rather than posting on here I will give you a practical test

go to any country that has zebra crossings and just step out onto the road while the traffic is still moving, don't bother reporting back here what happened, you would be 100% to blame for your sudden demise, safe to stop can mean many things - skidding out of control while braking hard and causing a pileup behind you could be one of them - hell you might even mount the pavement and kill the pedestrian who was waiting to cross - it is all common sense

and yes drivers are legally obligated to stop safely once they have noticed a pedestrian waiting to cross - the pedestrian must wait until all traffic has stopped in both directions before stepping onto the road, most accidents at zebra crossings are caused primarily in two ways.

1. Pedestrians walking out onto the road before all traffic has stopped

2. Drivers trying to stop when they do not have the ability to do so safely based on speed - distance - conditions - vehicle type or any combination 

It really is just common sense

35 minutes ago, hobz said:

Thank you shawn. 

In Thailand there seems to be similar laws.

It will be hilarious to see you argue how right you are from your casket. Be safe and practical in Thailand. Don't ever think drivers will follow the law!

20 minutes ago, inzman said:

It will be hilarious to see you argue how right you are from your casket. Be safe and practical in Thailand. Don't ever think drivers will follow the law!

Dude, I never said that it's RIGHT .. i just said what's legal and not legal... 

Ofcourse it's the parents fault for being idiots and pushing their baby out into Thai traffic.... But LEGALLY it's probably the motorbikes fault .. at least from my current understanding of Thai Traffic Laws

*edit* I hope you will visit my casket and give me some flowers. Be a graceful winner :)

7 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Read the story blamed the driver.

Saw the video blaming the parents.

Did you see the motorbike taking over the tuk tuk right on a pedestrian crossing? Is that smart? ... Well.. I guess even if it's dumb. It's never as dumb as pushing your baby out into Thai traffic.... They should give out pamphlets in the Airport for arrivals explaining to them that zebra crossings don't work as back in farangland here in Thailand and that the tallest Thai women are not really women :)

56 minutes ago, hobz said:

Did you see the motorbike taking over the tuk tuk right on a pedestrian crossing? Is that smart? ... Well.. I guess even if it's dumb. It's never as dumb as pushing your baby out into Thai traffic.... They should give out pamphlets in the Airport for arrivals explaining to them that zebra crossings don't work as back in farangland here in Thailand and that the tallest Thai women are not really women :)

Local Thais suggest this is an inappropriate place to cross the road. (From OP)

i watched the video a couple of times.... admittedly I am using a small screen, but I can't make out pedestrian crossing markings on the road... to much glare from vehicle lights for my eyes

so... is it actually a pedestrian crossing?

i just read a travel guide tip.... it is absolutely the responsibility of the pedestrian to make sure it's safe to cross the road

i know this means little, as it's only advise for travelers, but it's certainly good advise, which we know to be true.... it's a pity these snippets of wisdom aren't more widely circulated.

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

If the kid is seriously injured as reported, the police will want the bike driver or his insurance to pay the medical costs which could be huge and the police will want money off somebody and the bike rider is the most likely, in fact only, candidate.

Following the video the parents pushed the pram out into traffic they should be paying the medical bills.

5 hours ago, kbelyeu said:

Following the video the parents pushed the pram out into traffic they should be paying the medical bills.

Indeed, but maybe they, the parents, don't have the hundreds of thousands of baht it costs to treat a child in ICU (if reports are correct). Also the police probably just smell an opportunity for cash (from the bike rider).

15 hours ago, Deli said:

Why do they push stroller where the traffic flows ?

the person pushing the stroller should be banked up for pushing it into heavy flowing traffic.  it did not look like any of the traffic was going that fast. agreed the rider should not have left, however maybe all parties thought the kid was all ok until after he left.

The roads here have to much "visual clutter"    zebra crossings need to be clearly visible from a long distance to give drivers time to anticipate pedestrians...if there are no markings and parked cars etc even on the crossing  how is there even a chance ?

I post this to every zebra crossing thread  they are dangerous dont use them.

1 hour ago, Shawn0000 said:

What you are confusing is rules (read advice) for pedestrians, versus rules (read laws) for drivers.  Try hitting someone on a pedestrian crossing in the UK and see who wins in court, never the diver as the rule that states you must observe people approaching the crossing trumps the pedestrians rule not to cross until the cars have stopped.  The reason being that pedestrians have no obligation to make themselves aware of these rules and so can be assumed to not know them, whereas the driver has had to make themselves aware of them to pass their driving test and so is assumed to know them.

That's all well and good, provided there is signage to inform the road user that there is a pedestrian crossing coming up.

IMG_3582.PNG

They do in Thailand, and even when there are signs they are mixed in with all the other signs in the side of the road along with the trees they insist on planting slap bang in the middle of the pavement and strategically located to best obscure U-turns ,zebra crossings and any other danger points.

They are both to blame , the parents for not understanding how Thai traffic works here and the rider who could have been more careful , it was dark and I always look for pedestrians whenever I see a zebra crossing. 

5 hours ago, johng said:

The roads here have to much "visual clutter"    zebra crossings need to be clearly visible from a long distance to give drivers time to anticipate pedestrians...if there are no markings and parked cars etc even on the crossing  how is there even a chance ?

I post this to every zebra crossing thread  they are dangerous dont use them.

this video is useless, they should be running a campaign on teaching people how to properly use a crossing aimed at both drivers and pedestrians - what is the point of showing the carnage if they still have no clue how to use properly

I have said it before - the government should be running educational videos on prime time TV and keep it going until it sinks in, here is what I would start with - crossing roads and the use of pedestrian crossings for both drivers and pedestrians - drink driving - mobile phone use, increase the penalties and make sure people understand what will happen to them if they are caught - next retrain the police so they understand what 24hr proactive policing is.

Do away with dangerous u-turns and introduce roundabouts again followed up with TV campaigns on how to use them 

The only mistake the rider did - he drove away from the scene.
I don't see any of his fault before he fled away, but kid's parents are real morons - I'm sure they still don't even realise how deep shit they are still and blame only the evil rider.
If he'd stay, got lawer - he wouldn't be punished I think.

Not sure, bt seems it even was a breaking line there, means that vehicles can do overtaking. And still these idiots keep crossing the road.

Watching the video pushing a pram out into traffic like that is almost a suicide move anywhere in the world. I travel on this stretch of road by bicycle regulary and sometimes dismount and cross the road as a pedestrian just to get to the correct lane for the u-turn.

To the left of the family further back is a pedestrian crossing. No green man just the paint on the road. It's very dangerous for pedestrians and effectively useless as a crossing unless the traffic is light. Stand there as long as you like nobody will stop. If a car does stop, guaranteed other traffic won't and will continue speeding through so cross with extreme caution if you can.

To to the right of the family further up the road is the traffic lights and only place you can cross the road without waiting forever. Wait for the red light, traffic stops, watch out for motorbikes who refuse to stop, cross the road. 

So why did the family step out into the relentless block of moving traffic? My guess is they had to run the gauntlet on the other side of the moat to get to the side where they had the accident. They could have stood on the roadside for a long time. Walked out of their way to eventually get across. When they get to the other side it's  worse than the inner most side because the road is longer and straighter and the traffic is faster. They may have been waiting and waiting again, walking out of their way again to try to cross? Desperation, tired, hot ( last few days have been 36'c) and they make a a crazy decision. 

Who to blame the parents mostly, some blame for the motorcyclist but some blame rests with the people who run Chiang Mai. The governor, the traffic planners, the TAT, the traffic police. This family illustrates the dangers tourists and residents have to take to cross the road in the heart of tourist Chiang Mai. It's a nightmare trying to walk around Chiang Mai and cross the moat or just about any road with traffic on it. The Thai way is not to give way to pedestrians . I have used crossing with the green man flashing and only got halfway across because some traffic won't stop and ran back to the side I started on. Press the button, wait and try again. 

53 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Watching the video pushing a pram out into traffic like that is almost a suicide move anywhere in the world. I travel on this stretch of road by bicycle regulary and sometimes dismount and cross the road as a pedestrian just to get to the correct lane for the u-turn.

To the left of the family further back is a pedestrian crossing. No green man just the paint on the road. It's very dangerous for pedestrians and effectively useless as a crossing unless the traffic is light. Stand there as long as you like nobody will stop. If a car does stop, guaranteed other traffic won't and will continue speeding through so cross with extreme caution if you can.

To to the right of the family further up the road is the traffic lights and only place you can cross the road without waiting forever. Wait for the red light, traffic stops, watch out for motorbikes who refuse to stop, cross the road. 

So why did the family step out into the relentless block of moving traffic? My guess is they had to run the gauntlet on the other side of the moat to get to the side where they had the accident. They could have stood on the roadside for a long time. Walked out of their way to eventually get across. When they get to the other side it's  worse than the inner most side because the road is longer and straighter and the traffic is faster. They may have been waiting and waiting again, walking out of their way again to try to cross? Desperation, tired, hot ( last few days have been 36'c) and they make a a crazy decision. 

Who to blame the parents mostly, some blame for the motorcyclist but some blame rests with the people who run Chiang Mai. The governor, the traffic planners, the TAT, the traffic police. This family illustrates the dangers tourists and residents have to take to cross the road in the heart of tourist Chiang Mai. It's a nightmare trying to walk around Chiang Mai and cross the moat or just about any road with traffic on it. The Thai way is not to give way to pedestrians . I have used crossing with the green man flashing and only got halfway across because some traffic won't stop and ran back to the side I started on. Press the button, wait and try again. 

Nice answer.... from a local in the know.... thanks ?

We can discuss endlessly if its allowed to push babies out into traffic or not... We all know it was stupid/ignorant here in Thailand.

Was it even a zebra crossing?

If it was, then one thing is sure. It's illegal to overtake 30 meters before/after a pedestrian crossing. And the bike driver did that.

1 minute ago, hobz said:

We can discuss endlessly if its allowed to push babies out into traffic or not... We all know it was stupid/ignorant here in Thailand.

Was it even a zebra crossing?

If it was, then one thing is sure. It's illegal to overtake 30 meters before/after a pedestrian crossing. And the bike driver did that.

From what I understood from a chiang Mia poster, who travels that route regularly, it was not a marked crossing.

Off topic posts and replies have been removed.  This is not zebra crossing laws in the UK.  When quoting content from other sites, please learn how to provide the info as per this forum rule:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Another reminder, this is not about pedestrian crossing laws in the UK.

Archived