BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Video: Hunt on for foreigner on big bike who hit three year old in buggy

He's a Canuck !
Maybe Brit week has come to an end !

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

Unfortunately they caught one darn sarf doing a bit of tea leafin.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 hour ago, Shawn0000 said:

What you are confusing is rules (read advice) for pedestrians, versus rules (read laws) for drivers.  Try hitting someone on a pedestrian crossing in the UK and see who wins in court, never the diver as the rule that states you must observe people approaching the crossing trumps the pedestrians rule not to cross until the cars have stopped.  The reason being that pedestrians have no obligation to make themselves aware of these rules and so can be assumed to not know them, whereas the driver has had to make themselves aware of them to pass their driving test and so is assumed to know them.

That's all well and good, provided there is signage to inform the road user that there is a pedestrian crossing coming up.

IMG_3582.PNG

15 minutes ago, farcanell said:

That's all well and good, provided there is signage to inform the road user that there is a pedestrian crossing coming up.

IMG_3582.PNG

Pedestrian crossings either have signs or lights, they don't just spring them on you.

7 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Pedestrian crossings either have signs or lights, they don't just spring them on you.

That's right.... and I can't see any signs in the video

They do in Thailand, and even when there are signs they are mixed in with all the other signs in the side of the road along with the trees they insist on planting slap bang in the middle of the pavement and strategically located to best obscure U-turns ,zebra crossings and any other danger points.

3 minutes ago, farcanell said:

That's right.... and I can't see any signs in the video

You can't see much in that video, it is terrible, but crossings here do tend to have the yellow diamond warning sign.

They are both to blame , the parents for not understanding how Thai traffic works here and the rider who could have been more careful , it was dark and I always look for pedestrians whenever I see a zebra crossing. 

5 hours ago, johng said:

The roads here have to much "visual clutter"    zebra crossings need to be clearly visible from a long distance to give drivers time to anticipate pedestrians...if there are no markings and parked cars etc even on the crossing  how is there even a chance ?

I post this to every zebra crossing thread  they are dangerous dont use them.

this video is useless, they should be running a campaign on teaching people how to properly use a crossing aimed at both drivers and pedestrians - what is the point of showing the carnage if they still have no clue how to use properly

I have said it before - the government should be running educational videos on prime time TV and keep it going until it sinks in, here is what I would start with - crossing roads and the use of pedestrian crossings for both drivers and pedestrians - drink driving - mobile phone use, increase the penalties and make sure people understand what will happen to them if they are caught - next retrain the police so they understand what 24hr proactive policing is.

Do away with dangerous u-turns and introduce roundabouts again followed up with TV campaigns on how to use them 

The only mistake the rider did - he drove away from the scene.
I don't see any of his fault before he fled away, but kid's parents are real morons - I'm sure they still don't even realise how deep shit they are still and blame only the evil rider.
If he'd stay, got lawer - he wouldn't be punished I think.

Not sure, bt seems it even was a breaking line there, means that vehicles can do overtaking. And still these idiots keep crossing the road.

Watching the video pushing a pram out into traffic like that is almost a suicide move anywhere in the world. I travel on this stretch of road by bicycle regulary and sometimes dismount and cross the road as a pedestrian just to get to the correct lane for the u-turn.

To the left of the family further back is a pedestrian crossing. No green man just the paint on the road. It's very dangerous for pedestrians and effectively useless as a crossing unless the traffic is light. Stand there as long as you like nobody will stop. If a car does stop, guaranteed other traffic won't and will continue speeding through so cross with extreme caution if you can.

To to the right of the family further up the road is the traffic lights and only place you can cross the road without waiting forever. Wait for the red light, traffic stops, watch out for motorbikes who refuse to stop, cross the road. 

So why did the family step out into the relentless block of moving traffic? My guess is they had to run the gauntlet on the other side of the moat to get to the side where they had the accident. They could have stood on the roadside for a long time. Walked out of their way to eventually get across. When they get to the other side it's  worse than the inner most side because the road is longer and straighter and the traffic is faster. They may have been waiting and waiting again, walking out of their way again to try to cross? Desperation, tired, hot ( last few days have been 36'c) and they make a a crazy decision. 

Who to blame the parents mostly, some blame for the motorcyclist but some blame rests with the people who run Chiang Mai. The governor, the traffic planners, the TAT, the traffic police. This family illustrates the dangers tourists and residents have to take to cross the road in the heart of tourist Chiang Mai. It's a nightmare trying to walk around Chiang Mai and cross the moat or just about any road with traffic on it. The Thai way is not to give way to pedestrians . I have used crossing with the green man flashing and only got halfway across because some traffic won't stop and ran back to the side I started on. Press the button, wait and try again. 

53 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Watching the video pushing a pram out into traffic like that is almost a suicide move anywhere in the world. I travel on this stretch of road by bicycle regulary and sometimes dismount and cross the road as a pedestrian just to get to the correct lane for the u-turn.

To the left of the family further back is a pedestrian crossing. No green man just the paint on the road. It's very dangerous for pedestrians and effectively useless as a crossing unless the traffic is light. Stand there as long as you like nobody will stop. If a car does stop, guaranteed other traffic won't and will continue speeding through so cross with extreme caution if you can.

To to the right of the family further up the road is the traffic lights and only place you can cross the road without waiting forever. Wait for the red light, traffic stops, watch out for motorbikes who refuse to stop, cross the road. 

So why did the family step out into the relentless block of moving traffic? My guess is they had to run the gauntlet on the other side of the moat to get to the side where they had the accident. They could have stood on the roadside for a long time. Walked out of their way to eventually get across. When they get to the other side it's  worse than the inner most side because the road is longer and straighter and the traffic is faster. They may have been waiting and waiting again, walking out of their way again to try to cross? Desperation, tired, hot ( last few days have been 36'c) and they make a a crazy decision. 

Who to blame the parents mostly, some blame for the motorcyclist but some blame rests with the people who run Chiang Mai. The governor, the traffic planners, the TAT, the traffic police. This family illustrates the dangers tourists and residents have to take to cross the road in the heart of tourist Chiang Mai. It's a nightmare trying to walk around Chiang Mai and cross the moat or just about any road with traffic on it. The Thai way is not to give way to pedestrians . I have used crossing with the green man flashing and only got halfway across because some traffic won't stop and ran back to the side I started on. Press the button, wait and try again. 

Nice answer.... from a local in the know.... thanks ?

We can discuss endlessly if its allowed to push babies out into traffic or not... We all know it was stupid/ignorant here in Thailand.

Was it even a zebra crossing?

If it was, then one thing is sure. It's illegal to overtake 30 meters before/after a pedestrian crossing. And the bike driver did that.

1 minute ago, hobz said:

We can discuss endlessly if its allowed to push babies out into traffic or not... We all know it was stupid/ignorant here in Thailand.

Was it even a zebra crossing?

If it was, then one thing is sure. It's illegal to overtake 30 meters before/after a pedestrian crossing. And the bike driver did that.

From what I understood from a chiang Mia poster, who travels that route regularly, it was not a marked crossing.

Off topic posts and replies have been removed.  This is not zebra crossing laws in the UK.  When quoting content from other sites, please learn how to provide the info as per this forum rule:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Another reminder, this is not about pedestrian crossing laws in the UK.