Tourist who hit three year old in Chiang Mai is a Canadian professor

rooster59

Tourist who hit three year old in Chiang Mai is a Canadian professor

560000002020301.JPEG

Image: Manager

CHIANG MAI:-- The man who hit a three year old girl on his big bike in Chiang Mai is a 52 year old Canadian professor travelling the world.

The accident was caught on CCTV and a hunt resulted in Markus Christopher Petri being interviewed by Chiang Mai police yesterday.

The little girl - Lola Ansari - remains in ICU with brain swelling and a broken leg.

She was being wheeled across the road near Jeng Sri Phoom by her English dad Mark Ansari, 56, and his Spanish wife Raquel Salvadar, 23.

Petri was overtaking a four wheel public vehicle. He said that the child was wheeled into his path and he could not avoid her.He fled the scene of the accident saying that he was in a state of shock.

Manager reported that the family of the little girl come to Thailand every February. Petri is a Canadian professor on a world tour. He had previously been to Bali and Burma and was on his way to China next.

He was apparently looking for work teaching English in Asia.

He has been charged with negligent riding causing serious injury and is set to go to court where his case will be heard.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-25

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

He was overtaking at an intersection, so he did make a mistake. But the parents pushed their kid out into traffic moving quickly because they could sense danger. 80% on the parents I'd say. But I am sure both parties are suffering from their actions.

have to agree. i wouldn't cross the road myself at that place with that traffic, pushing a child into the road without checking is stunningly negligent.

If you’re WALKING on the ROAD and get HIT by a VEHICLE.

Don't blame the vehicle.  Don't blame the road.  Don't blame your shoes.  Blame yourself. 

And to push a helpless bound child first as you walk out onto a busy traffic is so reckless and irresponsible. 

The diver should not have left the scene and should be charged with leaving the scene of an accident only.

Don’t pet crocodiles, don’t kiss poisons snakes and don’t walk on busy roads.

Sorry if its confusing!!!!

3 hours ago, jerojero said:

Passing without due care and attention, but also wheeling a child "across the road" (not at intersection). Who is at fault? Both.

Hardly passing without due care and attention. What is one supposed to do when wanting to pass a Bath Bus in traffic? Wouldn' t it be safe to assume (like we have to do all the time) that no idiot is going to "jay walk" across a main road in heavy traffic. If we were to drive the way you are suggesting traffic could not move faster than 20 klm. an hour.

err... from the video it seems clear he didn't flee the scene, he left after looking after the injured.

the video also shows that the buggy with the baby in it was pushed forward fast across the road in a totally irresponsible manner, I think the buggy pusher is more to blame than the motorcycle driver.

4 hours ago, jerojero said:

Passing without due care and attention, but also wheeling a child "across the road" (not at intersection). Who is at fault? Both.

Cant see how the rider was at fault in his riding but certainly at fault in leaving the scene, whilst the parents of the child were negligent..

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

He was overtaking at an intersection, so he did make a mistake. But the parents pushed their kid out into traffic moving quickly because they could sense danger. 80% on the parents I'd say. But I am sure both parties are suffering from their actions.

Intersection? I can't see and roads beside the main road where it happened.  But the picture is not so clear.

1 hour ago, F4UCorsair said:

Not only Thais abscond after a traffic incident/crash it appears.

He stopped. Thai modus operandi is to keep going.

Of the accident: parents push child in pushchair right into traffic (seemingly suicidally), bloke on bike inevitably hits child (well, someone was bound to, look at the f'ing traffic!), bloke immediately stops to check. He did not abscond. While Thai highway code might say that passing another vehicle on a bike in such a fashion is illegal, c'mon, it is perfectly normal here. Any other bike would have run the poor kid down, just unfortunate it was that chap who has probably had his life ruined by useless, irresponsible 'parents'.

Unfortunately, you see this in every country, pushchair gets thrust into the road whilst the parents stand on the curb stone. Looks like he was riding normally, when the parents see the bike they pull the pushchair back into his path. So who should get the blame?. He shouldn't have left the scene, not so sure about the rest?.

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

But I am sure both parties are suffering from their actions.

Yes the little girl with with brain swelling and a broken leg for sure.

As for the Canadian gentleman  the driver, maybe he fled to avoid suffering looking at the poor little girl

It does not means he was responsible, no, but he fled an accident scene it says a lot about this person.

The original story from yesterday suggested that the motorbike rider did not "flee the scene" but left when the little girl was taken to hospital by accident.

Anyone driving a vehicle that hits a pedestrian in Thailand is going to pay. The degree of fault will only vary the amount.

the way people in Thailand drive is a big problem as they show no respect for people who are trying to cross the road no matter if they are on a zebra crossing or even at lights they speed

on, but in this case the motor bike was not doing anything wrong ok he could of anticipated

that the baht bus was stopping for a reason but for the parents to push a pram at speed in front of moving traffic puts them 100% to blame. end of.

I have 2 daughters 1 and 3 years old, so I hope the little girl recovers.

The father is disgraceful for pushing his daughter out into the road through fast moving traffic. I just can't fathom

that level of stupidity. I stopped using a buggy as soon as they could walk and when we go out they walk, If she gets 

tired I just carry her. Thailand is not made for prams.

Archived