Tourist who hit three year old in Chiang Mai is a Canadian professor

rooster59

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Obviously from the US book of traffic rules.

This is correct.... I grabbed it in response to a challenge from another poster to demonstrate pedestrian vs road user culpability.

but.... read thru the road traffic regs for Thailand, and you will find it mimicked, at least to the effect that you are not permitted to jump out anywhere into traffic ,which is the context herein (answering ukrules at 85 above)

Reg 104 was seemingly broken by the pedestrians.

"He was apparently looking for work teaching English in Asia."

Right.  Because that's what Canadian "professors" do.  They look for work teaching English in Asia.  Right.

Wrong.  Canadian professors work in Canada.  Most professors in Canadian Universities don't teach English as their subject.

And most Canadian professors don't hit kids in the street and drive off like nothing happened.

Another con artist. ?

2 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

"He was apparently looking for work teaching English in Asia."

Right.  Because that's what Canadian "professors" do.  They look for work teaching English in Asia.  Right.

Wrong.  Canadian professors work in Canada.  Most professors in Canadian Universities don't teach English as their subject.

And most Canadian professors don't hit kids in the street and drive off like nothing happened.

Another con artist. ?

It doesn't matter what country he's from

it doesn't matter if he's a professor or not

it doesn't matter if he is looking for a job teaching English or not

and he clearly did not drive off like nothing happened.

4 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Obviously from the US book of traffic rules.

There are signs on Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok about fines for not crossing the road at the correct place.

Of course it's not really enforced but that's not what we're talking about is it - it's illegal. Cross the road in the wrong place and you risk getting hit by a vehicle which is exactly what happened here.

8 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

He wasn't driving defensively.  His reactions were wrong.  There is something called "last clear chance to avoid" the accident, and it was his.  And a human is the last thing to hit...at a certain point, you make a decision to hit the soft target..meaning not head on, but not a tree, and not a human...if he had control of his bike, he could have layer it down.  Parents are at fault, but that doesn't excuse him...only partially in civil court.  He is going to have to pay her bill and give some comp and make a "gift from the heart.". Otherwise, vertical bar hotel.  

Sorry but thats rubbish..they came out right in front of him, and pulled back the child at the last possible moment when they realised their folly ..he had no time at all to make any type of defensive manoeuvre .

As for layer it down, i presume you mean layed it down, and if so you are again talking rubbish

This act of laying a bike down is a fallacy it is not ever a deliberate act and even if it were a reality he would still have hit the child.

50 minutes ago, happyas said:

Sorry but thats rubbish..they came out right in front of him, and pulled back the child at the last possible moment when they realised their folly ..he had no time at all to make any type of defensive manoeuvre .

As for layer it down, i presume you mean layed it down, and if so you are again talking rubbish

This act of laying a bike down is a fallacy it is not ever a deliberate act and even if it were a reality he would still have hit the child.

?..... not to mention cowboys earlier comment on no skid marks saying it all.

skid marks are indicative of reaction time...imho... long skid equals long reaction and excess speed... no skid marks means no time to react, and less speed (as evidenced in the video)

Had the impact with the pram caused the Rider to come off and hit his head into the back of the next car ending his life I wonder what would have been said on this forum? I don't think the Father of the child would be feeling too good about his actions had that happened.

Clearly I am seeing a different video to many here and keeping an open mind about what the real series of events might have taken place.

A terrible tragedy that should have been avoided for all concerned.

14 hours ago, stoneyboy said:

I believe the child in question has now died sadly.

Has this been confirmed? Where did this info come from?

Geez ..BS if there ever was....you can CLEARYLY see a car pulling over in front of the motorcycle while the motorcycle went AROUND THE CAR THAT WAS PULLING OVER AND STAYED IN HIS LANE, THE SAME LANE, AND DID NOT (OVERTAKE ANY VEHICLE ) WHAT SO EVER

THEN, YOU CLEARLY SEE THE CAR THAT WAS PULLING OVER SLOWED DOWN AND ALMOST CAME TO A STOP ......THEN THE PARENTS WITH THE BABY AND CARRAIGE MADE A QUICK MOVE TO START TO CROSS THE STREET AND SUDDENLY, THEY ARE CONFRONTED WITH THE MOTORCYCLE ..IN THE SAME LANE, NOT THE OTHER LANE AND CLEARING PAST THE CAR THAT WAS PULLING OVER.

I can not see anything at all the monocycle driver did that was or could be considered illegal or dangerous or reckless...NOTHING AT ALL

The video clearly shows who is a fault and caused the accident.

Other than the guy leaving the seen, the video clearly proves his innocence up till he left the scene.

Geez ..the evidence is plain to see but he still is held at fault.

Thailand...such a disappointment..... so often.

Opportunist abound and hang about like vultures ready to pounce and extort some money... some how someway.

Cheers

On 2/25/2017 at 0:30 PM, Tchooptip said:

"And please stop accusing him of doing a runner He stopped and waited until the abulance had taken the child away."

Ah yes so why I read In OP

"He fled the scene of the accident saying that he was in a state of shock."

Plus I have seen the video on Youtube he walked back a few meters looked a few seconds, no more, went back to his motorbike and drove away!

So stop accusing me of reading OP properly! 

Sorry, but there's a huge part of the video cut out. 

24 minutes ago, gemguy said:

Geez ..BS if there ever was....you can CLEARYLY see a car pulling over in front of the motorcycle while the motorcycle went AROUND THE CAR THAT WAS PULLING OVER AND STAYED IN HIS LANE, THE SAME LANE, AND DID NOT (OVERTAKE ANY VEHICLE ) WHAT SO EVER

THEN, YOU CLEARLY SEE THE CAR THAT WAS PULLING OVER SLOWED DOWN AND ALMOST CAME TO A STOP ......THEN THE PARENTS WITH THE BABY AND CARRAIGE MADE A QUICK MOVE TO START TO CROSS THE STREET AND SUDDENLY, THEY ARE CONFRONTED WITH THE MOTORCYCLE ..IN THE SAME LANE, NOT THE OTHER LANE AND CLEARING PAST THE CAR THAT WAS PULLING OVER.

I can not see anything at all the monocycle driver did that was or could be considered illegal or dangerous or reckless...NOTHING AT ALL

Other than the guy leaving the seen, the video clearly proves his innocence up till he left the scene.

Opportunist abound and hang about like vultures ready to pounce and extort some money... some how someway.

Cheers

Exactly... you the man.

just one point though.... the guy was the last to leave the scene of the accident, as witnessed in the last few seconds of the edited video

the confusion is caused by the fact that the police, as is often the case, were nowhere to be found ( must not have been a tent near the location, where they are usually found, texting each other)

12 hours ago, farcanell said:

?..... not to mention cowboys earlier comment on no skid marks saying it all.

skid marks are indicative of reaction time...imho... long skid equals long reaction and excess speed... no skid marks means no time to react, and less speed (as evidenced in the video)

It has already been identified by another FM that the bike has ABS so there would be no skid marks.

However, the rider did nothing wrong and I would challenge any motorbike rider to do other than this guy did.

The parents are 100% to blame and will carry this guilt with them for the rest of their lives.

On 25/02/2017 at 3:46 AM, Tchooptip said:

As for the Canadian gentleman  the driver, maybe he fled to avoid suffering looking at the poor little girl

It does not means he was responsible, no, but he fled an accident scene it says a lot about this person.

A bit too quick to lay the blame on the Canadian. If you watch the video he was the last person to leave the scene and he did not "flee the scene".

It was dark and the tuk tuk that saw the people about to do this stupid thing slowed down, the motorbike could not see the people and moved around the tuk tuk. Another tuk tuk almost goes into the back of both of them.

The motorcyclist pulls over under full control within 10 metres proving he was not going that fast.

The couple must have been out of their minds to just push a child into the oncoming traffic like that.

My sympathies are with the child first and the motorcyclist second. No sympathy for the parents who will have to live with this.

57 minutes ago, Flustered said:

A bit too quick to lay the blame on the Canadian. If you watch the video he was the last person to leave the scene and he did not "flee the scene".

It was dark and the tuk tuk that saw the people about to do this stupid thing slowed down, the motorbike could not see the people and moved around the tuk tuk. Another tuk tuk almost goes into the back of both of them.

The motorcyclist pulls over under full control within 10 metres proving he was not going that fast.

The couple must have been out of their minds to just push a child into the oncoming traffic like that.

My sympathies are with the child first and the motorcyclist second. No sympathy for the parents who will have to live with this.

Yes ...your description is more accurate

You can not fault the man on the motorcycle.

If you say he can be faulted it is trivial compared to the people bolting across the street with a baby in a baby carriage.

Unfortunately what you see in the video is a common occurrence here in Thailand but we simply do not hear about how many accidents are caused under the same or similar circumstance.

One of the reasons I really have no desire to drive in Thailand while I prefer my Taxi Chauffer to d the driving ...although I know I am also at risk with the crazy taxi drivers...lol

41 minutes ago, USPatriot said:

He may have left the accident because he was drinking and not like he said that he was in shock.

He was the last one to leave the scene. Watch the video.......No one knows what happened next as there are no reports but he probably went straight to the police station or he could have gone to the hospital, no one knows yet.

If he had been drinking as you suggest, the police would have charged him with that as well. No need to even bring the subject up.

Up to know it is all conjecture except for those who get a kick out of making "Fake News" as the Donald would say.

1 hour ago, USPatriot said:

I don't think it was his fault the parents walked in to the road with traffic comming.

He may have left the accident because he was drinking and not like he said that he was in shock.

Considering that he's seeking a teaching position, not a great example for others.

But the guy who made the video cut very important parts out that it looks like he fled the scene.

If he was drunk or on recreational drugs, he should be punished. When you're riding a bike, you should be able to stop whenever it's needed.

I hope the kid makes a full and speedy recovery, too much bla bla about the guy and the parents.

The child's health/ life is way more important now. Any news? 

3 hours ago, USPatriot said:

I don't think it was his fault the parents walked in to the road with traffic comming.

Once again.... the video shows him ( bike rider) leaving the scene last.

as one would expect of a responsible person.... who got tired of waiting for the infamous Thai police to put in an appearance.

2 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

Considering that he's seeking a teaching position, not a great example for others.

But the guy who made the video cut very important parts out that it looks like he fled the scene.

If he was drunk or on recreational drugs, he should be punished. When you're riding a bike, you should be able to stop whenever it's needed.

I hope the kid makes a full and speedy recovery, too much bla bla about the guy and the parents.

The child's health/ life is way more important now. Any news? 

Why shouldn't he be looking for a teaching job... he's a professor ( of something) so more qualified than most, who teach here

where did the drug/ alcohol thing come from?

the video shows him stopping, within a reasonable distance.... and it shows... albeit spliced, that he was the last to leave the scene... a responsible response, that teachers everywhere should emulate.

not surprisingly, the people who should have turned up ( the BiB) failed to put in an appearance

the video shows that the parents were negligent

and apparently... the child is dead... read the thread.

9 hours ago, gemguy said:

Cheers

It looks to me as if the motorbike is overtaking the tuk tuk just before hitting the baby. 

It would be illegal in thailand within 30m from pedestrian crossing..

But it was not a pedestrian crossing or?

On 2/25/2017 at 8:51 AM, dotpoom said:

Hardly passing without due care and attention. What is one supposed to do when wanting to pass a Bath Bus in traffic? Wouldn' t it be safe to assume (like we have to do all the time) that no idiot is going to "jay walk" across a main road in heavy traffic. If we were to drive the way you are suggesting traffic could not move faster than 20 klm. an hour.

20km/h limit is kind of what thailand needs to be honest.

On 2/25/2017 at 5:00 PM, impulse said:

You apparently don't get down to Bangkok very often where sidewalk vendors, electric poles and illegally parked scooters and cars force people to walk on the roads in many locations.

I don't disagree with you in this case, after seeing the video- and especially pushing a stroller.  But you're casting a pretty wide net.  In fact, I had to walk in the road in 4 or 5 locations on my weekly jaunt to Chinatown this morning.  Mostly construction, and all the other factors I mentioned

Its in the traffic laws that pedestrian side walks should not be blocked etc etc. It all comes back to a lack of law enforcement, specially when we talk about traffic.

Section 109 and 110 

Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522 - Thai Law

You can clearly see he stayed to help them. And they then cut to the scene of him leaving and no one is behind him. Therefore we must conclude that he is going to the hospital with them. After the incident on the road was cleared. The parents are at fault here.

From his perspective the car was stopping for reason, and he couldn't see anyone in front of the vehicle. 

Thats how traffic normally is in Thailand and many other countries. You pass people who stop or slow down. 

Given that it was at night didn't help.

Does anyone have any actual useful advice here for this situation?

On 2/25/2017 at 6:32 PM, stoneyboy said:

I believe the child in question has now died sadly.

What kind of nonsense is this , it has not been reported anywhere, the child is still in the hospital .  

On 2/25/2017 at 10:44 AM, canuckamuck said:

He was overtaking at an intersection, so he did make a mistake. But the parents pushed their kid out into traffic moving quickly because they could sense danger. 80% on the parents I'd say. But I am sure both parties are suffering from their actions.

The "parties" maybe suffering (guilt only) but none more so than the child who had no control over what happened and now with  possible brain injury.

Are you sure the Canadian was a professor? I thought professors had brains, but obviously no humanity in this case. A piece of soap and a week in the monkey house may make him realize what he had done by his failure to help a little kid.

Archived