Pattaya floods but new tunnel stays bone dry!

rooster59

Pattaya floods but new tunnel stays bone dry!

16996355_1757493951235563_5570768529152724448_n.jpg

Image: Pattaya News

PATTAYA:-- Heavy rain in Pattaya yesterday afternoon caused widespread flooding with many of the usual suspects under up to 50 centimeters of water.

But the new underpass that skeptical residents feared would be the first to be submerged in the event of rain came out unscathed.

Workers were still busy on the finishing touches to the underpass in dry conditions as the rest of the resort drowned.

Some 50 centimeters of water was seen in the Sukhumvit/South Pattaya area and floodwater was also deep on Beach Road and Pattaya Sai 3, reported Pattaya News.

One Mitsubishi car got stuck on the central reservation when the driver tried to cross the road to the less flooded other side not realizing that there was a raised portion under the floodwaters.

Heavy rain lasted about one hour around 3pm in the afternoon.

Full story: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-25

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But the new underpass that skeptical residents feared would be the first to be submerged in the event of rain came out unscathed.

Must have been an unintended design fault which caused it not to flood.

Me and my son were having lunch yesterday on Soi Kaonoi when the rain came.

We were sat opposite where the current new drainage is being installed.

Of course, the flood came down the hill and swamped the works, so on one could tell what was road and what was a 10 foot hole.

Two Emergency vehicles turned up and did absolutely nothing as traffic continued to try to get through.

One motorbike tried to cross the road and sure enough shot down a hole. The workers had to pull him and the bike out.

Two pedestrians then shot down the holes too and also had to be rescued.

Of course, the cones warning of the locations of work, washed away.

It was very lucky no one was killed, and the road should have been closed as it was very dangerous.

Sadly, further down the road, where the new work has been completed was also under water.

The new drains are only in the centre of the road, which is cambered, so the water flooded left and right, with the new drainage not helping at all.

Total bodge job. One day they will do it properly rather than look for a cheap option, that anyone with a brain can see won't work.

I too will be interested to see the new tunnel when we get real rain, rather than a shower.

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Total bodge job. One day they will do it properly rather than look for a cheap option, that anyone with a brain can see won't work.

Is there actually anyone with a brain in the planning dept. here :sad:

19 minutes ago, pegman said:

50cm, is that possible? Should it not read 50ml?

Looking at the pics I would suggest it was more than 50ml.

50ml is like 4 table spoons, Do you not think there was more than that ?

Possibly the 50cm is the depth of water, not the amount that fell from the sky !!

Just now, smutcakes said:

Great that it has not flooded yet, pity the surrounding roads were half a meter deep so no one could get the the underpass.

once those surrounding roads are 5 meters under water then the tunnel may flood. its amusing all the doomsayers saying it will flood but have obviously not seen the rise in the road up to the tunnel (on both sides).

The water from all the high powered guns and hoses will probably flood the tunnel.

Thats the multi million baht question will it or wont it. I know they installed some very big drainage pipework lets hope its adequate and doesn't get clogged up with rubbish.

On 2/25/2017 at 2:00 PM, pegman said:

50cm, is that possible? Should it not read 50ml?

Depth is usually measured in centimetre or metre, or inch or feet. Milimetre (ml) is used to measure volume, and I think it's quite impossible to measure flood by volume and even if that is possible, I doubt people can relate to that as easily as they can to cm/m/in/ft.

Archived