Yamaha Nmax 155 outperforms Honda PCX 150

jackcorbett

I have not been able to find any side by side stopwatch times of the Honda PCX 150 versus the Nmax 155 anywhere on the internet.  Whereas car and motorbike magazines do an excellent job of objectively measuring cars and larger motorcycles, I've found such performance comparisons to be non existent for motor bikes in the 125-150 c.c. class.  Now for anyone who is interested in seeing how the Yamaha Nmax 155 really stacks up against the Honda PCX 150 I've finally done a series of tests with a stopwatch that accurately measures the engine performance of both bikes.  Since I cannot provide a link here to my tests, just use the keywords "Honda PCX 150" or "Yamaha Nmax 155".  You will find my review in the #3 position world wide.  

5 minutes ago, johng said:

so@jackcorbett what are your 0-100 kph times and top speed for these two bikes ?

I figure the top speed of my Yamaha Nmax is about 120 kph.  Since doing my heads up comparison review a couple of days ago, I wanted to recheck my figures.  Today I was up to 115 kph with my Nmax on a short uphill and a bit later on I was up to 120 kph on a level stretch  A couple of years ago I took a PCX 150 rental up to 112 kph and my pal got 115 kph out of it a bit later on.  Several days ago I was up to 103 kph or so on my gf's 150 Honda PCX but the bike had more left.  But I had to back off due to traffic.  But at that point it was accelerating very slowly unlike my Nmax.  Do keep in mind that there are very few level stretches of road on route 36, the road from Pattaya to Rayong and oftentimes there's either a headwind or tailwind.  

there was a comparison done by an Indonesian bike website back in 2015

http://pertamax7.com/2015/03/17/komparasi-honda-pcx-150-vs-yamaha-nmax-155-ala-otomotifnet-nmax-banyak-keunggulan/

maybe the Indo bikes are slightly different to the Thai ones and i would guess there are speed limiters but it shows

Honda PCX 153 Yamaha NMAX 155
0-60 km/jam 6,2  dtk 6,2  dtk
0-80 km/jam 12,1 dtk 11,1 dtk
0-100 km/jam 23,2 dtk 21,1 dtk
0-100 m 8,3 dtk 8,6 dtk
0-201 m 12,8 dtk 13 dtk
Top Speed 114 km/h 112 km/h
Konsumsi bahan bakar 46,6 km/ liter pertamax 92

48 km/ liter petamax 92

8 minutes ago, jackcorbett said:

I figure the top speed of my Yamaha Nmax is about 120 kph

l reckon 120k could be possible on a 150 cc PCX on the speedo read in certain conditions. :whistling:

Seems as suggested standstill to 100k times would be the test for twist and go scoots.

Thanks for your numbers jack
It's often amusing/amazing to go on YouTube and see the claimed top speed of "stock unmodified" 150 cc 4 stroke bikes with claims of 150-180 kph ... Ill chip in and say for my Suzuki Raider 150 (147cc really) first edition,
the fastest I ever got according to the speedometer was 135kph on the flat (maybe with tail wind)

1 hour ago, johng said:

Thanks for your numbers jack
It's often amusing/amazing to go on YouTube and see the claimed top speed of "stock unmodified" 150 cc 4 stroke bikes with claims of 150-180 kph ... Ill chip in and say for my Suzuki Raider 150 (147cc really) first edition,
the fastest I ever got according to the speedometer was 135kph on the flat (maybe with tail wind)

I'd say that across the board there's a lot of inflated claims for top speed.  For example, I remember Honda claiming top speeds for the likes of a CB 160 back in the sixties of over 80 miles per hour.  Or a CB 350 producing 36 horsepower of around 103 mph.  I had a CB 350 and I'd say on average it was good for about 90 miles an hour although on a good day in the right conditions it might go 95 mph.  Then I got a CB 450, and it was good for around 95 to 100 mph, and this with 45 hp to the 36 hp of the 350 Honda.  

I had not one, but two, on off road Honda XL 185's.  Top speed was usually around 70 but on a good (tail wind?) day it might see 75 mph.  And although the Yamaha SR 400 has a very modest power output at 24 h.p. (whereas a 321 cc. Yamaha R3 has 42 h.p.) I've seen a lot of people claim it will get up to around 90 (albeit slowly).  Mine has never gone beyond 120 kph (75 miles an hour), but there are no real level spots on the road from Pattaya to Rayong and before I can get the bike to its absolute top speed too much traffic congestion occurs so I have to back off the throttle.  I'd be happy if I got a legitimate 80 miles an hour out of it.  

As for doing a zero to 100 kph run----that's roughly zero to sixty.  THis would be a very meaningful stat.  The problem is with a small scooter type bike it will be difficult to hold and manipulate a stop watch for this entire speed range.  This would not be nearly the problem for much faster powerful bikes that can get up to 100 kph in 5 seconds or less.  And again....on that stretch of road on route 36 that ends where I pull a you turn at the International School, driver's license center, one is either going uphill or downhill practically all the way.  Also when you are winding a 125-150 cc. undertone bike out to 100 kph and beyond,  it takes a much longer distance to get up to such speeds on such small bikes and by the time you are up to 100 and trying to get up to 115 or 120, traffic congestion starts to become a huge obstacle, especially when you factor in the unfathomable, unpredictable bad driving of so many Thai drivers.  Unfortunately in these conditions with  these smaller motorbikes doing zero to 100 kph stop watched times is a very dangerous proposition.  

22 hours ago, jackcorbett said:

I'd say that across the board there's a lot of inflated claims for top speed.  For example, I remember Honda claiming top speeds for the likes of a CB 160 back in the sixties of over 80 miles per hour.  Or a CB 350 producing 36 horsepower of around 103 mph.  I had a CB 350 and I'd say on average it was good for about 90 miles an hour although on a good day in the right conditions it might go 95 mph.  Then I got a CB 450, and it was good for around 95 to 100 mph, and this with 45 hp to the 36 hp of the 350 Honda.  

I had not one, but two, on off road Honda XL 185's.  Top speed was usually around 70 but on a good (tail wind?) day it might see 75 mph.  And although the Yamaha SR 400 has a very modest power output at 24 h.p. (whereas a 321 cc. Yamaha R3 has 42 h.p.) I've seen a lot of people claim it will get up to around 90 (albeit slowly).  Mine has never gone beyond 120 kph (75 miles an hour), but there are no real level spots on the road from Pattaya to Rayong and before I can get the bike to its absolute top speed too much traffic congestion occurs so I have to back off the throttle.  I'd be happy if I got a legitimate 80 miles an hour out of it.  

As for doing a zero to 100 kph run----that's roughly zero to sixty.  THis would be a very meaningful stat.  The problem is with a small scooter type bike it will be difficult to hold and manipulate a stop watch for this entire speed range.  This would not be nearly the problem for much faster powerful bikes that can get up to 100 kph in 5 seconds or less.  And again....on that stretch of road on route 36 that ends where I pull a you turn at the International School, driver's license center, one is either going uphill or downhill practically all the way.  Also when you are winding a 125-150 cc. undertone bike out to 100 kph and beyond,  it takes a much longer distance to get up to such speeds on such small bikes and by the time you are up to 100 and trying to get up to 115 or 120, traffic congestion starts to become a huge obstacle, especially when you factor in the unfathomable, unpredictable bad driving of so many Thai drivers.  Unfortunately in these conditions with  these smaller motorbikes doing zero to 100 kph stop watched times is a very dangerous proposition.  

Always interested in reading your articles, on bikes at least. :wink: Maybe Hwy 331, now that it has been upgraded to dual carriage way, might be a better road for time testing. Would be good if you could get hold of a Yam Aerox and compare to the Nmax.

On 2/25/2017 at 2:03 PM, jackcorbett said:

whereas a 321 cc. Yamaha R3 has 42 h.p.) I've seen a lot of people claim it will get up to around 90 (albeit slowly)

Maybe yours needs a tune up and a good service. :biggrin:

The Yam R3 @ 9,000 rpm is backed up by 41.4 horsepower and at 10,750 rpm with a possible top speed of around 112 mph.

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Maybe yours needs a tune up and a good service. :biggrin:

The Yam R3 @ 9,000 rpm is backed up by 41.4 horsepower and at 10,750 rpm with a possible top speed of around 112 mph.

You are not paying close enough attention to what I  wrote.  Note that my reference to the R3 is enclosed in parentheses ( ).  My reference is  to my SR 400 being said by some to be capable of 90 miles per hour.  I only referred to the Yamaha R3 as having more than 40 h.p. was to dramatize the difference between what amounts to a de-tuned 400 c.c. engine and a significantly lower displacement engine that produces nearly twice the horsepower.  I personally think the R3 represents a lot of performance for the dollar and would be loads of fun to drive.  But here you are suggesting that the R3 has a possible top speed of around 112 mph.  Well, perhaps.  But I once had a 1981 BMW R-65 horizontal twin.  It only weighed 408 pounds, was a 650 and it had 50 horsepower.  The top speed on it was about 105 mph.  And as I pointed out my Honda 450 produced 45 h.p. which is slightly more than the R-3, and I'd say about 100 mph was about it.  Now...if I weighed only 45 kg instead of the 75 I actually weight and I laid absolutely flat on the tank, and I removed the tach and the speedometer on such bikes, well maybe these inflated claims can be substantiated.  The only thing is in the real world one does not lie absolutely horizontal to the tank, etc. etc.  

12 hours ago, jackcorbett said:

Now that sounds like a good idea.

Seems all these stats are aimed at the Westerners here as they would be pretty pointless to Thais here in Thailand.  What would be more important for them to know is their handling capabilities as the main aim appears to be the fastest bike going the wrong way down a one way street in rush hour together with ability to avoid people whilst driving them on the footpaths.

41 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Seems all these stats are aimed at the Westerners here as they would be pretty pointless to Thais here in Thailand.  What would be more important for them to know is their handling capabilities as the main aim appears to be the fastest bike going the wrong way down a one way street in rush hour together with ability to avoid people whilst driving them on the footpaths.

you forgot the most important handling capabilities; also able to carry 3 people while driving one handed talking on a mobile phone and a cigarette in your mouth.

Who cares? These are both fully automatic scooters with double hand brakes like a bicycle, for gosh sakes! My bet is the Honda is more fuel efficient and holds resales value slightly better. That's just my guess. In this class, other than that, storage capacity or how many packs of soda/beer can you pack in one would be a major selling point.. :wink:

• 1 year later...

Personally  ,  I have had:

Honda Click 125cc up to 110 kph.

Nmax 155cc up to 114 kph.

Honda GT 125cc up to 100 kph.

Those are the very top speeds that I could get those motorbikes up to.  I am an average size male,  approx. 195 pounds.

No offence meant to the OP. But for me, longevity, durability and less depreciation trumps all.

Am renting a very old scooter (it still has a kick start, too). HONDA... 62,000 km. Going strong. That's impressive to me.

Show me a PCX which managed to reach 62,000 km without major engine repairs needed and I will be impressed. The same applies to Yamaha.

Reading stories of how Yamaha had to get it right to have a chance against mighty HONDA, I bought the Spark 115i (8 months old, 5,xxx km, a repo) for half the list price. Not sure if the Wave is better? But it won't depreciate that rapidly.

Vmax? Irrelevant, unlike accelleration.

Now where is a 50,000 km test of some BENELLIs?

Archived