Raw vegetables - how to make them 'tasty'?

simon43

I know it is healthy to eat raw veg, and I also know that I don't eat enough each day because - quite frankly - they taste boring.  I can eat lots of tasty fruit, but what on earth can I do to make raw veg more exciting to eat?

I just visited the local supermarket here in Myanmar and was surprised to find a wide a choice of fresh green veg, mostly at no more than 5 baht for a bunch or 100 grams of the veg (yep, cheap living here!).

Now with lettuce and tomato, I can make a simple salad with some low cal dressing.  But what other veg can I use in a salad, or what else can I do to make it tasty?

I bought a small selection of various vegetables from the supermarket.  Most of them are unrecognisable to me and probably grew alongside the opium poppies in Shan State......

I'm going to dice them all up, mix them together with some pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and see how that tastes.  (Honestly, I really haven't got a clue about veg, but I want to learn).

Fry them would be my guess :)

forgot to add that I've got no cooking facilities :)

I just made the following tasty dish:

Chopped and diced lettuce leaf, tomato, cucumber, mint leaves, mixed together with some low cal mayonnaise, sun-flower seeds and a few mixed nuts.

That actually tasted OK!

I could add some raisins into the mix, perhaps some of the other leaf vegetables if I could figure out what they are and whether they are tasty or not.  I'm not sure if Myanmar protocol allows me to bite off some of the vegetable leaves in the supermarket.

But anyway, I'm happy with my first effort and it will definitely feature on next week's menu.

• 6 months later...

Before you make raw vegetables you should soak in the diluted salted water, it will help to make it cleaner and fresher. Fresh vegetables or me added carrots, bean sprouts. The sauce I usually put egg yolk, sugar and a little mustard in the bowl, beat until the mixture is light yellow, sugar dissolved, for 5 ml of vinegar and hit evenly. Continue with the oil, vinegar alternating and add one more raw material to your hands before adding new ingredients. Put the remaining mustard in and mix well.

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2017 at 3:26 PM, simon43 said:

orgot to add that I've got no cooking facilities :)

Why not buy a small electric skillet or hotplate?  Makes life a lot easier and many fresh veg are easier to digest and more nutritious after a light steaming 

try Amagansett Corn Salad

8 ears of white corn
2 quarts cherry tomatoes
3 tablespoons high-quality balsamic vinegar
1 medium red onion
1 quart sugar snap peas (optional)
1 handful roughly chopped basil or flat-leaf parsley (optional)
Salt, preferably a large, coarse sea salt like Maldon.
Pepper

• 2 months later...

Personally I find raw veggies to taste good but hard to digest, unless you really spend a lot of time to properly chew your food.

Many variations of good tasting salads: cabbage, garlic, olive oil, lemon. Or, lettuce, carrots, tomato, cucumber, olives, feta, olive oil, lemon. etc. etc. 

You could buy cooked sticky rice on the street and make veggie sushi pretty easy. Just paste the rice onto a sheet of seaweed, fill with veggies, wrap. Then dip in a sauce of your choice. 

Some people like to dip raw veggies in sauce, like ranch. Although if you are going for healthy, this may negate the value of eating raw veggies. 

You could buy a nutribullet and make shakes, juices, etc. Some very tasty options. Nutribullets are awesome. You can also use them to blend up nuts and seeds. Try almonds, honey, coconut milk, vanilla, chia seeds for a tasty protein drink. Or green apple, kiwi, spinach, kale, lime for a tasty green drink. So many fresh fruits and veggies here to try. 

Alternatively you could buy an electric rice cooker/steamer. Then steam the veggies, toss with olive oil, salt, lemon. Steamed veggies are much easier to digest and some taste better steamed. Or steam some potatoes and peas and carrots, mix with a little mayonnaise, pickles and ham and make yourself a Russian style salad. 

Also if you are eating raw veggies, make sure to wash very well, maybe even soak in a vinegar veggie soak, to reduce/remove the pesticides and chemicals as much as possible. 

I know one tasty recipe of Gazpacho Panzanella:
1    bunch basil, finely chopped
1 to 2    cloves garlic
2    medium to large tomatoes, 1/2-inch dice
1    medium cucumber, 1/2-inch dice
Juice of half a lemon
1/4    cup good olive oil, or more, to taste
Half a loaf of good, crusty bread (ideally day-old)
Plenty of flaky salt

• 1 month later...

You can make pesto from almost any green vegetable. Just food process with garlic, olive oil, salt, walnuts and (optionally parmesan cheese).

How you cut the vegetables makes then taste different. Julienne then and you will notice they taste much different, also when you do this you get more surface area, so if you add a sauce or dressing, it will be more noticeable and flavorful. Also this is a nice way to eat them on a sandwich. Sourdough, avocado, julienned carrots, beets, cucumber, and then onions, tomatoes, arugula, salt, pepper, etc. 

Basically, this: chop up enough for 3 - 4 days, wash w/ vinegar and clean water, keep in a plastic bag in fridge. When ready to eat, fill up a smoothie blender w/ veggies, add berries and coconut oil (and/or EVO), protein powder maybe, blend and drink.

On 29/03/2018 at 6:16 AM, saraht1 said:

Many people laugh at me for using it, but I really like it - I use a lot of cinnamon with my vegetables. A small amount, but nevertheless it makes a great difference! (sounds crazy I know) 

Cinnamon is great. Sumac is another. Sumac has a tangy citrus flavour. 

Archived