Tourism bigwigs upbeat about Pattaya future saying it is a resort of a "world standard".

rooster59

Tourism bigwigs upbeat about Pattaya future saying it is a resort of a "world standard".

thumbnail__MG_0045.jpg

Image: Siamchon News

Some of Thailand's leading tourism figures descended on Pattaya at the end of big week in the resort's often troubled history.

Leading the way on a tour of Beach Road and Walking Street was Pongphanu Sewatrun one of the leading lights at the Ministry for Tourism and Sports. Also in attendance was the Banglamung district chief Naris Niramaiwong and other national tourism industry officials.

Pongphanu painted a rosy picture of the resort's future saying that many problems of the past had now been addressed. He claimed that the city was dealing with its crime problem successfully.

Countering comments make in the UK media that Pattaya was a sex capital of the world and full of nothing but prostitutes he said:

"Pattaya has had some problems but it is a great place and a very important place for the tourism industry. We want it to continue to develop into the future.

"There is nothing to worry about," he added. "Pattaya is a quality place that is of a world standard".

He referred to recent developments including sporting events that have been and will be held in and around the resort. Golf was a particular success story as was motor racing, he said.

He was also upbeat about the recently opened Pattaya to Hua Hin ferry that he said would further enhance the resort's bright future.

But as the interviews took place in the middle of Walking Street after tours of various entertainment venues it was clear that this was a "boys' night out".

There was no sign of Kobkarn Watanavarangkul, the minister for tourism and sports, who last July called for the dismantling of the sex industry in Thailand.

Source: Siamchon News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-26

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask any travelled person on the world what they know about Pattaya...they will all give the same answer like the UK did.

Why not admit it and make it even better like the whorehouse of the world? Pattaya has nothing else to offer.

Even in restaurants the annying streetvendors come to annoy you to sell their copycopy merchandise...every minute another one.

Taxi's don't use the metre, there's no skytrain, busloads of chinese groups all park on beachroad...it's a total mess. Nobody swims in the sea, nobody plays on the beach, there are no places to sit except in girlybars. Annoying criminal ladyboys everywhere.

Why Miss kobkarn didn't come to see it herself? Was she too scared to be there?

Pattaya is a world class resort destination. It has everything a family could want or a single man or woman. Yes the sex trade exists, but it exists in many countries, Pattaya should not be labeled the sex capital of anywhere. This industry is available if you want to find it. If you do not want to see it then there are many other things to do in Pattaya that are not connected to the sex trade. 

Anyone who has lived here for any length of time is well aware that sex is available and where to go to get it. How does this make Pattaya any different from Amsterdam, Nevada, Germany or Australia? All of these locations have sex available. I know that these locations are more discrete and are not visible as a street show, but that does not make them any less a location where sex is for sale.

I have been living in Pattaya for close to 20 years and I may hit Walking Street or similar venues once or twice a year. Just because it is there does not mean you have to partake.

I would agree with the Tourism big wigs, Pattaya has much to offer to everyone and the sex industry is but a small part of that. In actual square footage Walking street, Soi 6 and Soi Buakao do not take up very much space, but they get a lot of attention from the media.

4 minutes ago, dhind1 said:

Pattaya is a world class resort destination. It has everything a family could want or a single man or woman. Yes the sex trade exists, but it exists in many countries, Pattaya should not be labeled the sex capital of anywhere. This industry is available if you want to find it. If you do not want to see it then there are many other things to do in Pattaya that are not connected to the sex trade. 

Anyone who has lived here for any length of time is well aware that sex is available and where to go to get it. How does this make Pattaya any different from Amsterdam, Nevada, Germany or Australia? All of these locations have sex available. I know that these locations are more discrete and are not visible as a street show, but that does not make them any less a location where sex is for sale.

I have been living in Pattaya for close to 20 years and I may hit Walking Street or similar venues once or twice a year. Just because it is there does not mean you have to partake.

I would agree with the Tourism big wigs, Pattaya has much to offer to everyone and the sex industry is but a small part of that. In actual square footage Walking street, Soi 6 and Soi Buakao do not take up very much space, but they get a lot of attention from the media.

Who paid you to write this???

13 minutes ago, dhind1 said:

You have just no idea of what you are talking about.

Just try to cross the road in Pattaya the way you would do it in a world class resort like Spain. I hope you will survive the experience.

The go to Malaga  or Marbella in Spain and look how clean the footpath are compared to Pattaya when its not broken.

Then ask the Spanish police about assistance and see how they smile and help you compared to the local police.

In Thailand when waiters dont forget what you want , or make a mistake they tell you 'ok thats the wrong dish but can you eat this one also'

There are just countless exemples , also refering to the many posts in this forum about things that happen here. Can you easily park you car in Pattaya. When do i park my car along beach road as a tourist?

Or try Brazil , Italy , ... same. I have been there and quite a few countries also.

You just have been nowhere else in the 'world class resorts' Thats impossible ,sorry about that.

38 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Yes we are all sure that this is a world class resort.

This is how we see  visitors are treated by  the entertainment sector.

When a city get 7 or 8 millions tourists a year,

there is necessarily a few troublemakers among them...

Its a great resort to come and have a holiday romance ,or even find a bar girl to marry and sponsor her and her family the rest of your life or till she gets bored wth the life in the village or her Thai boyfriend tell her she needs to go to the great resort and make money again as he needs it for Thai whiskey so him and his friends can get drunk every day .

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

it is a resort of a "world standard"

Make the pedestrian controlled zebra crossings work and give back the pavements/sidewalks/footpaths to the walking tourist and you might be just a little bit on the way to a standard but it would still be by no means world standard. That would take hundreds of improvements to get even close.

All countries have cities that collect the good and bad of the nation.  Pattaya exists for a good reason; demand. 

Known many people who use to live there and they say it is full of good people, good food and fun things to do outside of the tawdry attractions.

The current administration's do gooders would be better off just focusing on those things that have nothing to do with sex.  The Macao tourism bureau NEVER EVER talks about sex or gambling.  Thailand should follow their good example.  

Pattaya is till in the world (thank gravity for that) so it is world class, maybe special needs class, but still a sort of class...

I've lived in Jomtien around12 years or so...  Yes it is filthy, and worst offenders I've seen over the years are domestic tourists. Foreign tourists often frustrated looking for a trash bin. Yes the administration is inept and I would imagine have "enhanced income" from projects like the continuing destruction of Jomtien and Pattaya beaches. A sunny town full of shady people.

BUT if you can tread water (never in the sea!) in this odd mix of misfits, scammers etc it can be most amusing. Don't let the rip tide get you. Amazing Thailand.

I don't drink, go to bars or partake of the for hire women, but still find this dump almost charming.

45 minutes ago, dhind1 said:

You obviously have vested interest there. I owned a hotel that once when it was a very nice place. I have been there many times since and it gets worse and worse. Probably the worst thing about it is some of the people who visit it and live there. Foreign pimps, criminals, sexpats, people on the run etc

There are world class prostitutes on every street corner.

Oh! I'm sorry.

Pongphanu Sewatrun one of the leading lights at the Ministry for Tourism and Sports walked from one end of the beach to the other and they all vanished.

Thailand should get this fella to have a look at the myriad of other problems the country faces.

If he can solve all of Pattayas problems in 20  minutes, the whole country should be tip top before the coming week is out.

8 minutes ago, gamini said:

You obviously have vested interest there. I owned a hotel that once when it was a very nice place. I have been there many times since and it gets worse and worse. Probably the worst thing about it is some of the people who visit it and live there. Foreign pimps, criminals, sexpats, people on the run etc

1 hour ago, dhind1 said:

'This industry is available if you want to find it. If you do not want to see it then there are many other things to do in Pattaya ... Amsterdam, Nevada, Germany or Australia? All of these locations have sex available. I know that these locations are more discrete (sic) and are not visible as a street show ...' So Pattaya makes it so much more obvious.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

There was no sign of Kobkarn Watanavarangkul, the minister for tourism and sports, who last July called for the dismantling of the sex industry in Thailand.

Oh Oh could this be a sign from the PM saying don't knock sex tourism its here to stay. I hope nothing bad happens to the little lady she is a sweetie. When your a member of a mostly men's club Ms. Kobkarn sex is something you never fool with. 

Archived