Tourism bigwigs upbeat about Pattaya future saying it is a resort of a "world standard".

rooster59

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

Ask any travelled person on the world what they know about Pattaya...they will all give the same answer like the UK did.

Why not admit it and make it even better like the whorehouse of the world? Pattaya has nothing else to offer.

Even in restaurants the annying streetvendors come to annoy you to sell their copycopy merchandise...every minute another one.

Taxi's don't use the metre, there's no skytrain, busloads of chinese groups all park on beachroad...it's a total mess. Nobody swims in the sea, nobody plays on the beach, there are no places to sit except in girlybars. Annoying criminal ladyboys everywhere.

Why Miss kobkarn didn't come to see it herself? Was she too scared to be there?

Goes to show you every story has two sides. Some sides are varnished others not so much so. I have never been there no desire to go but was surprised that people have given up going in the water is it the pollution. That was the best time for me growing up. At my age now I imagine the water full of jelly fish and I would not venture in. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:
  20 minutes ago, gamini said:

You obviously have vested interest there. I owned a hotel that once when it was a very nice place. I have been there many times since and it gets worse and worse. Probably the worst thing about it is some of the people who visit it and live there. Foreign pimps, criminals, sexpats, people on the run etc

Sound like this fellow should know the truth being a previous owner of a hotel. As I thought the march down main street was strictly for the "tourists"

I'm at a loss to understand why so many people are negative about Pattaya and Thailand.

If you don't enjoy it leave and stop spreading your negative content for the world to see.

The fact is most nature tourists come to Thailand once or twice which generates little  revenue for the government, sex and service workers.

What most people don't think about is sex tourism is a multi trillion dollar industry worldwide.  Sex tourists come back on a regular basis and many buy condos, send money to girl friends that feed their families, set up Thai bank accounts and wire money in, hire lawyers, buy visas, rent and buy  cars and motorcycles, pay taxes,   utilize most services, and buy groceries. The list is endless. Some stay for the rest of their lives. Sex tourism built Thailand to what it is today ever since soldiers started to pour in here for R&R.

When expats and tourists write ignorant content here, it hurts the Thai Government's and the sex and service worker's cash flow.  Which in turn over time hurts the expats who have lived here for decades.

Please think before  you spew your negativity and display your ignorance. 

5 hours ago, Sphere said:

Ping Pong World Cup, Shooting Darts At Balloons, Necklace Snatch Relay.....:bah: 

You forgot the World Arm-Wrestling Championship! All fat and pissed farangs are dragged out of the Beach Road bars to the venue at the bottom of Pattaya Klang to ensure that it is truly an international event!

1 hour ago, dhind1 said:

Pattaya is a world class resort destination. It has everything a family could want or a single man or woman. Yes the sex trade exists, but it exists in many countries, Pattaya should not be labeled the sex capital of anywhere. This industry is available if you want to find it. If you do not want to see it then there are many other things to do in Pattaya that are not connected to the sex trade. 

Anyone who has lived here for any length of time is well aware that sex is available and where to go to get it. How does this make Pattaya any different from Amsterdam, Nevada, Germany or Australia? All of these locations have sex available. I know that these locations are more discrete and are not visible as a street show, but that does not make them any less a location where sex is for sale.

I have been living in Pattaya for close to 20 years and I may hit Walking Street or similar venues once or twice a year. Just because it is there does not mean you have to partake.

I would agree with the Tourism big wigs, Pattaya has much to offer to everyone and the sex industry is but a small part of that. In actual square footage Walking street, Soi 6 and Soi Buakao do not take up very much space, but they get a lot of attention from the media.

Pattaya is a world class resort destination...... if you have never been to one LOL - comon mate - surely you are taking the piss.

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

Ask any travelled person on the world what they know about Pattaya...they will all give the same answer like the UK did.

Why not admit it and make it even better like the whorehouse of the world? Pattaya has nothing else to offer.

Even in restaurants the annying streetvendors come to annoy you to sell their copycopy merchandise...every minute another one.

Taxi's don't use the metre, there's no skytrain, busloads of chinese groups all park on beachroad...it's a total mess. Nobody swims in the sea, nobody plays on the beach, there are no places to sit except in girlybars. Annoying criminal ladyboys everywhere.

Far too many people like the quoted poster above have absolutely no clue what Pattaya has to offer.

Get yourselves out from the area bounded by the beach, north, third and south roads and you will see, it's a completely different Pattaya to the one you are all so familiar with.

It amazes me how some talk with authority on what Pattaya is when in reality they know only about a very small part of it.

4 hours ago, dhind1 said:

Pattaya is a world class resort destination. It has everything a family could want or a single man or woman. Yes the sex trade exists, but it exists in many countries, Pattaya should not be labeled the sex capital of anywhere. This industry is available if you want to find it. If you do not want to see it then there are many other things to do in Pattaya that are not connected to the sex trade. 

Anyone who has lived here for any length of time is well aware that sex is available and where to go to get it. How does this make Pattaya any different from Amsterdam, Nevada, Germany or Australia? All of these locations have sex available. I know that these locations are more discrete and are not visible as a street show, but that does not make them any less a location where sex is for sale.

I have been living in Pattaya for close to 20 years and I may hit Walking Street or similar venues once or twice a year. Just because it is there does not mean you have to partake.

I would agree with the Tourism big wigs, Pattaya has much to offer to everyone and the sex industry is but a small part of that. In actual square footage Walking street, Soi 6 and Soi Buakao do not take up very much space, but they get a lot of attention from the media.

Sodom and Gomorrah was quite the destination in its time. 

None of my Thai friends has anything nice to say  about Pattaya and the  foreigners who visit. In plain language they consider the foreigners who go there as lowlife scum and have zero respect for repeat visitors. They really look down on Thais who work in Pattaya. Doesn't matter if the person is an accountant at a hotel; everyone is  either mafia or sex trade or drug dealer.   I find it interesting that even higher end Thais are sensitive about the Pattaya label and  have used place names Thanyawan or Chonburi when telling me where they work.

I suppose it's like not wanting to say one lives in Luton or Dresden or Detroit or Darwin.

We all know that the Thais believe the World only exists as far as the border of their country.

A mate of mine taught in a school in Korat for a while, and he was horrified to see a Globe of the World situated in a classroom, with every country blacked out, except, ( yes, you guessed it ) Thailand.

That is the reason that Pattaya  as filthy and corrupt as it may be, is a World class resort.

Pongphanu painted a rosy picture of the resort's future saying that many problems of the past had now been addressed. He claimed that the city was dealing with its crime problem successfully.

thumbnail__MG_0045.jpg

"Look, no crime where we are walking."

I think I see a ladyboy way in the back snatching a gold chain from on of those walkers. Nah, I'm only thinking wishfully.

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

You summed Pattaya very well all I know of the place , as it being full for girlybars and hookers .

i not go there much at all , but it dose have good food and restaurant as well .

Pattaya is what it is.  No explanation required, and no idea why anybody tries to paint in a different light.  Deal with it, don't like; leave, don't fancy the look of it, don't come.  Most people will do a simple internet search before they go anywhere, particularly for the first time.  Google 'Pattaya' and you will have enough information to make (a) an educated decision whether or not to go, and (b) take some simple precautions (other than that one) to ensure you have a whale of a time.

i love the place for many reasons. climate, excellent value, easy in and out from the airport and so on. jomtien is still quiet and a good place to stay within striking range of soi boucow. 9 years living in pattaya listening to people talk about how things are changing and now i am starting to agree that they really. bars seem to be empty apart from walking street which is more of a tourist attraction than a mongering paradise.  the diminishing number of girls in the bars seem to be aging and the new ones coming through are plying their trade online. have to wonder about pattayas future. 

3 hours ago, dhind1 said:

Are you seriously trying to liken the sex industry in 'other countries' to what goes on in Pattaya?

It's 'available if you want to find it'?? :D Are you kidding? It's difficult to not freaking find it!!

Have you been to Amsterdam, Nevada or Germany cause if you had you'd see in 2 minutes how Pattaya is different.

Good grief!

Late to read this one today but the following would go a long way to improving the image and attraction of the place.

Fix drainage and sewer treatment so the beaches can recover.  I never swim locally here since the first time I tried a swim at Pattaya beach, grabbed a handful of sand off the bottom and it left a horribly oily residue and smelt disgusting. Ewwww! Even just moving my toes around the sand felt oily.

I dont know what exists now but fix the system on land and place a large treatment plant and ocean outfall.

They talk, do a few projects but it doesn't change.

A long term pollution education program for the public coupled with better infrastructure and waste management would improve the image and perception if marketed correctly.

Then there's the crime......they're trying but no cigars, except of course.....???

A thought comes to mind....not that my comments qualify but do any of the powers that be read TV for all the wonderful ideas us foreigners have....just a thought. ?.. ?

56 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

thumbnail__MG_0045.jpg

"Look, no crime where we are walking."

I think I see a ladyboy way in the back snatching a gold chain from on of those walkers. Nah, I'm only thinking wishfully.

To most of us these places look trashy and tawdry. But to a Thai who has never been anywhere else in world, it's the height of sophistication. 

16 minutes ago, avander said:

Late to read this one today but the following would go a long way to improving the image and attraction of the place.

Fix drainage and sewer treatment so the beaches can recover.  I never swim locally here since the first time I tried a swim at Pattaya beach, grabbed a handful of sand off the bottom and it left a horribly oily residue and smelt disgusting. Ewwww! Even just moving my toes around the sand felt oily.

I dont know what exists now but fix the system on land and place a large treatment plant and ocean outfall.

They talk, do a few projects but it doesn't change.

A long term pollution education program for the public coupled with better infrastructure and waste management would improve the image and perception if marketed correctly.

Then there's the crime......they're trying but no cigars, except of course.....???

A thought comes to mind....not that my comments qualify but do any of the powers that be read TV for all the wonderful ideas us foreigners have....just a thought. ?.. ?

Its called silt.  Not fixable.  Most of the reason Pattaya bay water looks like poo is because of the currents, not poo.  It's still crap though.

Guest Jerry787
3 hours ago, dhind1 said:

infrastructure has nothing to do with sex industry, Brasil , Spain are world famous to be  a so called " sex tourism spot " was not budapest or bucarest before or still now.

City Management, Traffic Management, Tourism  Safety and Facilities Management and infrastructures, are solely responsibility of who manage the town and the country, Authorities !  don't blame sex industry that is the most silly things.

Tourism bigwigs upbeat about Pattaya future saying it is a resort of a "world standard".

Let's face it, Pattaya is only known at all on the world stage because of its sex scene. You can thank the visiting Vietnam GIs for that. But I don't see the major issue or the drive to make out like its something that it is not. And what it is not is any kind of world standard unless you're comparing it to similar places, such as Angeles City, PI. 

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

All countries have cities that collect the good and bad of the nation.  Pattaya exists for a good reason; demand. 

Known many people who use to live there and they say it is full of good people, good food and fun things to do outside of the tawdry attractions.

The current administration's do gooders would be better off just focusing on those things that have nothing to do with sex.  The Macao tourism bureau NEVER EVER talks about sex or gambling.  Thailand should follow their good example.  

And then they would be accused of "sweeping it under the carpet", much to the delight of many on here!

P.S. I think Pattaya is a bit of a cesspit, but it's not going to get any better by hiding it, and to class it as almost one of the world's finest "nature" resorts" (as in a previous post) only adds to the hypocrisy.

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"There is nothing to worry about," he [Pongphanu Sewatrun one of the leading lights at the Ministry for Tourism and Sports] added. "Pattaya is a quality place that is of a world standard".

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

...But as the interviews took place in the middle of Walking Street after tours of various entertainment venues it was clear that this was a "boys' night out".

:thumbsup:

Archived