farangs that try a little too hard to blend in

cheapskatesam

I'm the first person to advocate respecting the culture and doing as the Thai's do for an easy care free existence in Thailand.. however ever so often you come across a Farang that has crossed the line and looks like a <removed>

I spotted a white guy on the BTS not long ago wearing a surgical mask. I'm quite certain he did not have the plague.. he was just making a pretentious statement to the world.. "I've been here a long time and i'm now just as native as a Thai"

yeah whatever mate :sleep:

Actually the disposable fabric/paper masks that they seem to wear, the ones bought at Tesco, 7/11s etc can do more harm then good.  There is a recommendation that these types of mask are used for 20 minutes only and additionally the World health organisation recommends that disposable face masks are never re-worn ( once you take them of for whatever reason) due to the potential build of germs/viruses that occur.  Unfortunately that message seems never to have got through to most locals as they keep them on for hours on end and re-use the same one for days at a time, and that include major international hospitals regarding the time period, so I would hope that any Farang copying this habit of wearing a mask take this advice seriously as rather than prevent infection to others, the reverse could be the case.

26 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Actually the disposable fabric/paper masks that they seem to wear, the ones bought at Tesco, 7/11s etc can do more harm then good.  There is a recommendation that these types of mask are used for 20 minutes only and additionally the World health organisation recommends that disposable face masks are never re-worn ( once you take them of for whatever reason) due to the potential build of germs/viruses that occur.  Unfortunately that message seems never to have got through to most locals as they keep them on for hours on end and re-use the same one for days at a time, and that include major international hospitals regarding the time period, so I would hope that any Farang copying this habit of wearing a mask take this advice seriously as rather than prevent infection to others, the reverse could be the case.

do you have a link for the World Health organisation  quote ?    and is the WHO also saying 20 minutes ?

He probably thinks he's protecting himself from germs on the train. Hardly a gone-Tropo, Thai-er than Thai type... you know, those that wear those daft pants, give you the evil stare when you spot them out and about (the what-are-you-doing-in-my-country look), and will not have any criticism of their beloved Muang Thai (no matter how constructive). 

He'll probably be the only westerner to escape the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse.  

Along with a few thousand locals, Japanese and Chinese- who also wear the masks.

Or maybe he's like me- allergic to everything that grows in the tropics.  Mold, mildew, grass....

I'm the first person to advocate respecting the culture and doing as the Thai's do for an easy care free existence in Thailand.. however ever so often you come across a Farang that has crossed the line and looks like a complete and utter wa*nker.

I spotted a white guy on the BTS not long ago wearing a surgical mask. I'm quite certain he did not have the plague.. he was just making a pretentious statement to the world.. "I've been here a long time and i'm now just as native as a Thai"

yeah whatever mate [emoji99]

I'm a white guy living in Asia and a frequent air traveler. During the SARS scare both Hong Kong and Singaporean health officials advocated masks not to avoid contacting the illness but to minimize spreading same. When I have a cold or cough I wear one for the same reasons; so far I'm still Caucasian.

For someone so culturally sensitive the OP seems pretty hasty at judging others.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

He probably thinks he's protecting himself from germs on the train. Hardly a gone-Tropo, Thai-er than Thai type... you know, those that wear those daft pants, give you the evil stare when you spot them out and about (the what-are-you-doing-in-my-country look), and will not have any criticism of their beloved Muang Thai (no matter how constructive). 

No, it is to protect other people from your flu germs

1 hour ago, cheapskatesam said:

Then there's the awkward.. "your girl looks like a white Chinese beauty and my girl looks like a Issan rice farmer " look that does get a bit embarrassing at times 

You're definitely riled up today about something. Not your usual thrifty self.

Was it the cost of the sky train? Exceeding of the weekly travel budget?

11 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

Then there's the awkward.. "your girl looks like a white Chinese beauty and my girl looks like a Issan rice farmer " look that does get a bit embarrassing at times 

My wife is an Issan rice farmer. Would the op recommend she wears one of those surgical face masks on her annual visit to Bangkok if she goes on the sky train?

It could make her look like a white Chinese beauty, the white mask disguising her lovely coffee coloured skin.

But alas her eyes are too large and beautiful too.

How about "newbees" trying to fit in by "Waying" 7/11 store staff, bar-ladies and everybody else that happens to smile at them. Usually raising their hands way above nose-level ( This is how some very "important" Thais would be "wayed".) Just hilarious !

Bar-ladies identify those compulsive "wayers" as easy prey and are therefore very popular.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, swissie said:

How about "newbees" trying to fit in by "Waying" 7/11 store staff, bar-ladies and everybody else that happens to smile at them. Usually raising their hands way above nose-level ( This is how some very "important" Thais would be "wayed".) Just hilarious !

Bar-ladies identify those compulsive "wayers" as easy prey and are therefore very popular.

Cheers.

Experienced man talking here so listen up fellas.

13 hours ago, swissie said:

Cheers.

On a holiday here, I 'waied' the cashier at Big C (or similar place).  Being a tourist it seemed obvious to return any polite gesture.

Consequently, I don't find it "hilarious" when tourists or newbees make such an understandable mistake - realising that they're only being polite and have no understanding of the intricacies of 'waing'.

Come to that, I suspect only a tiny minority of those who have lived here a few years and learned the 'basics' understand or recognise the intricacies!

Fortunately, the Thais realise this and (as far as I know?) are quite happy with the foreigner lowering their head as a gesture of respect.

17 hours ago, swissie said:

Cheers.

Might they just be trying to be polite?

The OP is just a troll , he will be gone soon.

If I'm sick and have to go with public transportation I wear a mask , to protect others and myself from germs.  Most Asians seem to wear them also to avoid pollution but that would not help much . 

Archived