Thai driving licence, passport or both

The few times I have needed to show passport, photocopy has been fine - but mind, I have never been asked by police, this was at banks and the like.

DL is also usually fine for proof of ID with businesses etc, but if the police stop you, will not suffice as what they are wanting is proof you are in the country legally.

Note that the law only requires that you be able to show a passport not necessarily have it on you, there have been reports of people being allowed to bring the police back to their home and show the passport there.

If they see from the photocopy that you have valid visa and extension of stay not expired, they will likely not bother to insist in the original but no guaranatee.  So if you do keep a photocopy make sure it is not only face page but also page with visa and extension of stay.

Personally photocopy of passport and DL is all I carry. But I'm not in any areas that are high risk for police checks. These are usually reported from areas like Pattaya, Thonglor part of Bkk etc.

• Like 1

Likely more thorough in tourist areas, but, as above, have never been asked in almost 20 years. I would sooner get into strife for just having my Thai license/not having passport on person than risk losing passport. Thai L + PP copy would be fine IMO.

Regards ID here, we should always have some on us really as Thais are required to always carry their ID card.

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

DL is also usually fine for proof of ID with businesses etc, but if the police stop you, will not suffice as what they are wanting is proof you are in the country legally.

I've never had to produce anything when stopped by the police except a valid driving licence - either UK, when I was here as a visitor, or Thai since I've been living here.

I do carry a credit-card-size copy of my passport backed by the latest retirement extension, and occasionally feel disappointed that no-one has ever asked to see it. For domestic airline travel, checking into hotels, and anything else such as registering my mobile phone I've always used the Thai driving licence.

4 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I've never had to produce anything when stopped by the police except a valid driving licence - either UK, when I was here as a visitor, or Thai since I've been living here.

I do carry a credit-card-size copy of my passport backed by the latest retirement extension, and occasionally feel disappointed that no-one has ever asked to see it. For domestic airline travel, checking into hotels, and anything else such as registering my mobile phone I've always used the Thai driving licence.

" For domestic airline travel, checking into hotels, and anything else such as registering my mobile phone I've always used the Thai driving licence."

I doubt very much if you will get away with that today with all this palaver about TM 30 forms.I don't think any hotel would be allowed to check you in today without taking a photocopy of your actual passport.