"I meant to reverse but put it in forward gear" says Thai woman as she nearly goes in the sea

webfact

"I meant to reverse but put it in forward gear" says Thai woman as she nearly goes in the sea

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

CHONBURI: -- A Thai woman driver nearly drove he Toyota Yaris into the sea in Chonburi yesterday.

Thirty year old Witchuda Janrungruang was on her way back from shopping at Lotus and was about to do a U-turn in Soi Jitprasong in Muang district where she lives with her family, Sanook reported.

But instead of putting her car into reverse she put it in first gear. In a panic she pressed her foot hard down on the accelerator instead of the brake.

The car got stuck on the edge of the drop into the sea but fortunately did not go any further and there were no injuries.

Foundation staff managed to rescue the car from the precipice and Witchuda was able to continue on home.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-27

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

But instead of putting her car into reverse she put it in first gear. In a panic she pressed her foot hard down on the accelerator instead of the brake.

I find it quite worrying that people who are so stupid and incompetent might be driving a car near me on the road, though I know perfectly well that there are many of them as I see them every day. Perhaps one day Thailand will introduce a proper driving test, and ensure that anyone driving a car can actually do so.

31 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I find it quite worrying that people who are so stupid and incompetent might be driving a car near me on the road, though I know perfectly well that there are many of them as I see them every day. Perhaps one day Thailand will introduce a proper driving test, and ensure that anyone driving a car can actually do so.

if they did that,  there would only be  foreigners on the roads.

Yes result. :thumbsup:

Think any motor vehicle is just to complicated for the locals to operate safely.

Flip flops are a better mode of transport for them,      maybe graduate to a bicycle after say 5 years training and retraining two days latter, on a continuous loop

may be doable.

That is a complete load of <deleted>! That's a Toyota Yaris and it comes with an automatic transmission. Any one who drives an auto would know that the gear selection slots are arranged in this fashion - P, R, N, D and so on. For safety reasons, 'R' (reverse) and 'D' (drive) are separated by 'N' (Neutral) - to avoid people selecting the wrong gear. It's quite impossible to get 'R' and 'D' mixed up if one is shifting from 'P' (park). One is just a slot away, while 'D' is three. Even if one is shifting from 'N', it's still quite hard to get it wrong. From 'N', one pushes the selector one step forward to engage 'R', but one step backwards to engage 'D'. And the selector is locked and cannot be moved from 'N' to 'R', unless the selector release button is depressed. For someone to cock-up something so simple and intuitive, this person has no business to be on the road. Heck, she shouldn't be operating any mechanical things or machinery - period. Does she even have a damned license, for a start, or is she one of the many drivers on Thai roads who goes around without a license, and just keep THB100 notes handy in case they get stopped by the rozzers???

That is a complete load of ! That's a Toyota Yaris and it comes with an automatic transmission. Any one who drives an auto would know that the gear selection slots are arranged in this fashion - P, R, N, D and so on. For safety reasons, 'R' (reverse) and 'D' (drive) are separated by 'N' (Neutral) - to avoid people selecting the wrong gear. It's quite impossible to get 'R' and 'D' mixed up if one is shifting from 'P' (park). One is just a slot away, while 'D' is three. Even if one is shifting from 'N', it's still quite hard to get it wrong. From 'N', one pushes the selector one step forward to engage 'R', but one step backwards to engage 'D'. And the selector is locked and cannot be moved from 'N' to 'R', unless the selector release button is depressed. For someone to cock-up something so simple and intuitive, this person has no business to be on the road. Heck, she shouldn't be operating any mechanical things or machinery - period. Does she even have a damned license, for a start, or is she one of the many drivers on Thai roads who goes around without a license, and just keep THB100 notes handy in case they get stopped by the rozzers???

Maybe she got confused because the gears are in a different position to the tractor she usually drives ?
[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

1 hour ago, outsider said:

. Any one who drives an auto would know that the gear selection slots are arranged in this fashion - P, R, N, D and so on. For safety reasons, 'R' (reverse) and 'D' (drive) are separated by 'N' (Neutral) - to avoid people selecting the wrong gear. It'

Yo, English is second language... 'R' is for racing!!!

18 minutes ago, hdkane said:

At least she was honest...accidents happen, and I am very forgiving if an individual merely accept responsibility for the error...

Accepting an error is not enough. Responsibility to destroy her license and learn to drive properly is of utmost importance, before she gets someone seriously injured or killed.

15 hours ago, outsider said:

:cheesy::clap2:

She thought she was on the Kobota at home .....

When ploughing the rice field she's always use to Reverse being at the bottom ....  but the Yaris is opposite ...

poor girl .....

one reason why I never get into a taxi with a women behind the wheel ....:shock1:

I once saw a woman in Florida rev up her engine to about 5,000 RPM's & slam it in reverse back in the 1990's, in the parking lot of a supermarket.

Smoke started boiling off her tires.

Luckily no one was behind her...Thailand isn't the only country w/ bad drivers. 

I was just walking by (luckily in front) of her when it happened.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

She thought she was on the Kobota at home .....

When ploughing the rice field she's always use to Reverse being at the bottom ....  but the Yaris is opposite ...

poor girl .....

one reason why I never get into a taxi with a women behind the wheel ....:shock1:

Kubota!!! 55555555555555555555++++++++++

Ok come on, be nice, I've been in a few taxis driven by women in BKK, and they drive ok. Certainly better than some of their impatient and grumbling male counterparts. And they could operate a manual transmission too! A six-speed one too, since they were driving the newer Toyota Altis... heheh

14 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

No comment !

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm emoji4.png

LOL... This was in the news, me thinks about eight, nine years ago? Happened in Taiwan or China, I'm not sure. If anything, it demonstrates the performance and more importantly, the torque and towing capacity of the Chevrolet Captiva :giggle:

On 27/02/2017 at 1:02 PM, daveAustin said:

Women worldwide are good at doing stuff like this. Ever see them try to park?

Women are the worst parkers in the world because men keep telling them that this (hold thump and forefinger a short distance apart) is 6 inches.

Archived