First time going to Myanmar

watgate

I am hoping to go to Myanmar this Oct with my thai g/f and most likely will visit Yangon, Bagan and Mandalay City. I am tentatively planning on going for 4-5 days and was wondering if that would be enough time to see the 3 cities? Also, I would be departing from Chiang Mai and don't know whether to fly into Yangon and fly out from Mandalay City back to Chiang Mai or fly into Mandalay City and fly out from Yangon. Also, for you seasoned travelers who have been to Myanmar, how would you travel, either from Yangon to Bagan to Mandalay City or from Mandalay City to Bagan to Yangon? Would a ferry be feasible or should I plan on taking buses primarily. I don't think I want to travel by rail because I understand rail travel is somewhat spartan and prone to sizeable delays. I guess I could fly but I am sure air travel is considerably more expensive then going by bus. I was just wondering how you seasoned travelers would go given the hoped for time frame that I have in mind and the proposed 3 cities I would like to see. I am not asking you to put together an intinerary for me, just some insight into what you think would be most practical considering my objectives. Thanks for any info.

I would say trying to do all that in 4 or 5 days is not enough time to take it all in...with three cities.

Buses I found were very good and comfortable... (VIP style, not the old 1950's  beaters!) .... I would choose Bagan, that would take at least two days (minimum!) and choose either Mandalay or Yangon ... or you heads will be spinning trying to take all three cities in!.... Some lovely country side to see and Pagodas too!

Life is in the slow lane in Bagan!

bMJOrtGo9BcYQccKF0NqfG2NGwHx-BGazebNWjgL

Agree with samuijimmy. 4 or 5 days is short. I would choose Mandalay area + Bagan. Not long distance if you want to avoid domestic flights and will give a nice overview of Myanmar. You might expect better weather than in Yangon in October too.
As far as I know there are Changmai - Mandalay flight at least with Bangkok Airways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not nearly enough.

Fly into mandaly, stay 2 days, boat down to bagan (1 day)

Stay 2 days, fly back to mandaly and home.

Thats the min!!!

Am over here now, heading to Maruk u, from magway

Most of my trips range from 11-14 days in diferent areas of the country

Phuketrichard so if I want to see Yangon then instead of going back to Mandalay you figure I would need an additional 2 days to go to Yangon where I can then return to Chiang Mai after seeing Yangon? Can you book the boat trip online from Mandalay to Bagan? Also, what would be better, flying or busing from Bagan to Yangon?

My take would be fly Bangkok Airways Chiang Mai to Yangon which will get you there shortly after midday. Take the rest of your first day and all second to take in the city. Start of day 3 fly to Bagan if that's your choice and spend that and half of day 4 taking in the sights and fly mid afternoon to Mandalay for early evening Bangkok Airways flight back to Chiang Mai. 

You don't have time for buses or boat trip but if you add the fifth day then either include the boat trip or take in the major Mandalay sights.

If you fly Chiang Mai-Mandalay you won't arrive until 1720 so first day is lost.

Grab an e visa for yourself and your Thai lady doesn't need a visa if flying in.

Mahseer thank you for your gracious input into my formulation of a doable itinerary to Myanmar . It is info like this that will help me immeasureably and it is great to know there are folks like you who are willing to partake of their knowledge to help a fellow traveler plan a trip. 

Not a problem. I have been to Burma 8 times now and never need any pressure to head there again. Love the place and still so much to explore.

Just one point to be aware of when planning trips there. Domestic flights rarely run on schedule due to milk run style routing and the later in the day the flight the more likely the delay. I just returned from Inle Lake, which by the way I would put ahead of both Bagan and Mandalay, and the mid afternoon 35minute flight was delayed over 2 hours so be careful if connecting with international flights.

My Yangon tip: Include a visit to Chaukhtatgyi temple. Just fabulous to sit back for an hour and watch the local folk pay homage and far more impressive for me than Shwedagon.

Anything else fire away.

Mahseer what is appealing about Inle Lake?. I try not to be judgmental but read somewhere that Inle Lake has become inundated with many hotels to primarily serve the chinese travelers. Do you agree with this and,if so, has this detracted from the appeal of Inle Lake? I am hopefully planning on going to Myanmar the first part of October but am reluctant to lock in airfares this early. I guess the longer I wait the more airfares will go up. I am now looking at staying 5 nights in Myanmar, 2 in Yangon then flying to Bagan to stay 2 more nights and then on to Mandalay for 1 night. I am interested in possibly taking a boat from Bagan to Mandalay but am wondering how fast they book up and should reservations be made far in advance. I understand there is not a whole lot of interesting things to see in Mandalay besides massive crowds of Burmese so maybe my time would be better served by traveling by boat to observe the scenery and way of life of the locals along the river as we cruise. Lastly, any recommendations for hotel accommodations in the 40-60 usd range in Yangon, Bagan and Mandalay. Thanks for any input or info.

I started a thread a few days back about the development in Inle and how disappointed I was with the change since my previous visit 6 years prior and doubt very much I will return but for a first time visitor Inle is ideal. 

6 years back there were few visitors but now something like a ten fold increase in tourist numbers has happened so hotels along with Italian, French, Indian, Thai restaurants and others had to appear but there is still plenty of room for further expansion which will undoubtedly occur but don't be put off.

Getting up at the crack of dawn to jump a long tail boat to beat the masses to the markets (which rotate location on a daily basis) is great fun and once the hordes arrive simply head out to any of the numerous attractions that dot the lake. A dedicated boat will cost you around 400-600baht depending on market location and for that you get around 5 hours of enjoyment but it's all a matter of what the individuals interest are. Some people adore Bagan but to me once was very much enough and I'll never revisit. Just do your research and match what is on offer to your requirements.

Regarding hotels in Mandalay I use the Link78 which is excellent and includes decent breakfast, both Asian and Western, but it's around 2,500baht. For Yangon I am out of date as its been 3 years and like Inle numerous hotels will have appeared since my visit. Bagan was even further back so again can't help.

i wouldn't book airfares now but do keep an eye out for Bangkok Airways offers which do come around.

best of luck.

Not nearly enough.

Fly into mandaly, stay 2 days, boat down to bagan (1 day)

Stay 2 days, fly back to mandaly and home.

Thats the min!!!

If u reall want see yangon, fly from bagan and stay 2 nights there and than fly home,

This would be the min time needed

I was just inle lake 2 days ago.  Am now in magway waiting for my 11:30 pm bus to maruk u.

Although the lake is impressive ,the market is same same eveywhere. We went way down south to indewa town. Very nice, its very touristy but its a dam big lake. The boat for just the two of us was 25,000 kyat for 7 hours

This is my 6th trip in 2 years and always head a diferent part. For me, the 10 day trip down the chindwin river where not one touist was seen was the best.

Avoid long bus rides if u can.....

In mandalay. The power royal hotel for less than $30

On booking.com get a corner room. 601,701

Bagan hundreds tochoose from. I stayed new park hotel. Nice bungalows $25-30

Yangon. i stay with friends so no idea

Phuketrichard I understand you can take a boat from Bagan to Mandalay. Would you book it online or would you wait until you got to Myanmar to buy the tickets for the boat? Also, it sounds like you should take US currency as well as a debit card to withdraw kyat from the atms.  Is that a correct assessment in your opinion?

6 minutes ago, watgate said:

Phuketrichard I understand you can take a boat from Bagan to Mandalay. Would you book it online or would you wait until you got to Myanmar to buy the tickets for the boat? Also, it sounds like you should take US currency as well as a debit card to withdraw kyat from the atms.  Is that a correct assessment in your opinion?

6 minutes ago, watgate said:

Wait to book.your hotel can do it for u. Apx 9 hours down river, mandalay-bagan but 10-11 up river but nice and relaxing.

Bring new crisp bills Only. Atm charges 5,000 kyat / withdrawal. Maximun is 300,000 kat.

Exchange now is 1,362 kyat/ $$

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

You can consider October for a Myanmar trip. But I would like to suggest you to wait another month and visit Myanmar in November. Your trip plan also sounds good to me. If possible also include Inle Lake in your trip. I think 7 days will be enough to cover Mandalay City, Yangon, Bagan and Inle Lake.

20 hours ago, David Smith said:

You can consider October for a Myanmar trip. But I would like to suggest you to wait another month and visit Myanmar in November. Your trip plan also sounds good to me. If possible also include Inle Lake in your trip. I think 7 days will be enough to cover Mandalay City, Yangon, Bagan and Inle Lake.

forget that, with 7 days u will be traveling every day!!!

Of everywhere i have been in Myanmar in the past 2 1/2years Inle was the one place i would never return to, Yes,the lake is nice but its the worst place for being hassled (to do boat trips, buy things) the ONLY market i have been to that sells tourist stuff) and the town is set up for flashpackers that need to hang out all together. ONLY place in the entire country i have seen happy hours with 1,500 Kyat large Beers and $1.50 Gin Tonic :-)

oh;  all those guys that row the boat with their legs, want take a photo> they will all charge you>>>>>

they dont even fish anymore, just wait around for the tourist to arrive.

Oct is end of rainy season as well,wait till mid Nov.

Archived