Free Tourist Visas Not Extended For Those From All Countries From Today

According to this announcement posted today on Vientiane embassy website it is only for those from the countries listed that get visas on arrival.

590c2eb9bf5f6_Vientianeannoucement.jpg.07b1ebf728fca7daf712c9b3d629862b.jpg

It appears the earlier news stories got it wrong.

Edited by ubonjoe
Fixed broken image link

16 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

so this means the extension to August of free tourists visas for other countries is no longer in place??

Yes

But it appears it may of never been in "place". It seems some wrong info was given out by the government.

• Like 2

Thank you for the update.  This makes more sense - that list includes several countries which would offer low-budget tourists, for whom 1000 Baht is a significant part of their travel-budget. 

Maybe this means the consulates in Laos and Penang can return to their old ways for those of us with passports from other locales.  If they want to see something, let us show 120K+ in a Thai bank account, which will cover an air or bus ticket out plus a room for the next 2-3 months. 

Edited by JackThompson

11 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Thank you for the update.  This makes more sense - that list includes several countries which would offer low-budget tourists, for whom 1000 Baht is a significant part of their travel-budget. 

Maybe this means the consulates in Laos and Penang can return to their old ways for those of us with passports from other locales.  If they want to see something, let us show 120K+ in a Thai bank account, which will cover an air or bus ticket out plus a room for the next 2-3 months. 

I really wouldn't be holding your breath on it returning to how it was.

• Like 1

Sonofab**ch.....feels like a bait n switch to me...as i put off doing

a visa run as it thought i had until august if i wanted that free visa

Guess this will be my attempt to do the burma 2x 30 day run ..

or until they go and change that back to 15 days....ugh   :saai:

• Like 1

I will never understand why Thai Immigration seldom communicates correct information and when they do, not all offices, nor officers follow the procedures published, even in their own website, in the past.

• Like 2

"when there is. Discrepancy between English and Thai, the Thai document is given preference "

Wait until the Thai document is released, then translate the script. 

Btw use a BKK interpretation not Isaan

Amazing timing on this - I arranged to go HCMC Thai Embassy last day of Feb - But after announcement of free continued - I changed plans  for a few days latter. 

Today I need to get right amount / correct currency - For TV.

The website http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/home  and main website http://www.thaiembassy.org/ are down.

Does anyone know what currency is required (USD / THB / VND) and how much?

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Are you sure you guys have read the notice properly? Looks to me like there are no fees for SETV's.

i think it could be read that way no fees for setv.

and

a reduced fee for all the countries on the list when obtaining VOA

2 separate things

can the countries on the list obtain a visa prior to arrival

2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

i think it could be read that way no fees for setv.

and

a reduced fee for all the countries on the list when obtaining VOA

2 separate things

can the countries on the list obtain a visa prior to arrival

How?

It clearly states for said countries and territories. No mention of other countries getting free visas.

Yes they can get tourist visas before leaving their home country. Many of the listed countries are on the list of countries whose citizens can only get visas there.

So what about this???

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s Cabinet has approved to extend the current free visa incentives for foreign tourists for another six months.

Under the measures, visa fees will be waived at Thai embassies and consulates until August 2017, while the visa on arrival fee will continue to be 1,000 baht.

On Tuesday, government spokesperson Sansern Kaewkamnerd said that waiving visa fees from December to February 28 had resulted in a 12% increase in foreign tourist arrivals.

The move to waive visa fees was first introduced on December 1 2016 and came after a sudden decrease in arrivals from China following last year’s crackdown on zero dollar tours, with number of Chinese tourists visiting Thailand plummeting by 30 percent.

The continuation of the offering free tourist visas for all nationalities is also hoped to give Thailand’s tourism industry a boost as it heads into what is traditionally the low season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

How?

It clearly states for said countries and territories. No mention of other countries getting free visas.

Yes they can get tourist visas before leaving their home country. Many of the listed countries are on the list of countries whose citizens can only get visas there.

if some of the countries on the list can only get visa before entry and others can only get VOA's then yes i agree all others not on the list will have to pay for SETV

Edited by steve187

2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

if some of the countries can only get visa before entry and others can only get VOA's then yes i agree all others not on the list will have to pay for SETV

Those countries are the only ones that can get visas on arrival and they can also get tourist visas before starting their trip.

See: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bangkoklasse said:

So what about this???

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s Cabinet has approved to extend the current free visa incentives for foreign tourists for another six months.

Under the measures, visa fees will be waived at Thai embassies and consulates until August 2017, while the visa on arrival fee will continue to be 1,000 baht.

On Tuesday, government spokesperson Sansern Kaewkamnerd said that waiving visa fees from December to February 28 had resulted in a 12% increase in foreign tourist arrivals.

The move to waive visa fees was first introduced on December 1 2016 and came after a sudden decrease in arrivals from China following last year’s crackdown on zero dollar tours, with number of Chinese tourists visiting Thailand plummeting by 30 percent.

The continuation of the offering free tourist visas for all nationalities is also hoped to give Thailand’s tourism industry a boost as it heads into what is traditionally the low season.

It never actually said 'Which' country's :smile:

Edited by Lovethailandelite

7 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It never actually 'Which' country's :smile:

Yes it say which country. Because it say that they will extend the current 3 month deal for free tourist visa. 

It doesn't say they will make a diffenrent deal with different countries

Edited by bangkoklasse
  • Like 1