BANGKOK
ubonjoe

Free Tourist Visas Not Extended For Those From All Countries From Today

According to this announcement posted today on Vientiane embassy website it is only for those from the countries listed that get visas on arrival.

590c2eb9bf5f6_Vientianeannoucement.jpg.07b1ebf728fca7daf712c9b3d629862b.jpg

It appears the earlier news stories got it wrong.

Edited by ubonjoe
Fixed broken image link

16 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

so this means the extension to August of free tourists visas for other countries is no longer in place??

Yes

But it appears it may of never been in "place". It seems some wrong info was given out by the government.

• Like 2

Thank you for the update.  This makes more sense - that list includes several countries which would offer low-budget tourists, for whom 1000 Baht is a significant part of their travel-budget. 

Maybe this means the consulates in Laos and Penang can return to their old ways for those of us with passports from other locales.  If they want to see something, let us show 120K+ in a Thai bank account, which will cover an air or bus ticket out plus a room for the next 2-3 months. 

Edited by JackThompson

11 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Thank you for the update.  This makes more sense - that list includes several countries which would offer low-budget tourists, for whom 1000 Baht is a significant part of their travel-budget. 

Maybe this means the consulates in Laos and Penang can return to their old ways for those of us with passports from other locales.  If they want to see something, let us show 120K+ in a Thai bank account, which will cover an air or bus ticket out plus a room for the next 2-3 months. 

I really wouldn't be holding your breath on it returning to how it was.

• Like 1

Sonofab**ch.....feels like a bait n switch to me...as i put off doing

a visa run as it thought i had until august if i wanted that free visa

Guess this will be my attempt to do the burma 2x 30 day run ..

or until they go and change that back to 15 days....ugh   :saai:

• Like 1

That announcement came out of the blue, even Embassy gave notice only yesterday afternoon.

• Like 1

Communication issues are all over Thailand administration, not only in embassies.

• Like 1

I will never understand why Thai Immigration seldom communicates correct information and when they do, not all offices, nor officers follow the procedures published, even in their own website, in the past.

• Like 2

Government officers are too busy topping up their bank accounts to worry about getting things correct.

• Like 2

Are you sure you guys have read the notice properly? Looks to me like there are no fees for SETV's.

@Briggsy , it clearly states " Nationals of said countries ...."