Immigration Atire

Nice Boyd

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes you can. As long as you follow the dress code that says long pants, real shoes and a clean representative look.
Just nice to see read that somebody actually care about this. It´s something all people should do. Not only to respect immigration, but to respect themselfs.

Yes you can. As long as you follow the dress code that says long pants, real shoes and a clean representative look.
Just nice to see read that somebody actually care about this. It´s something all people should do. Not only to respect immigration, but to respect themselfs.

Cargo pants only go midway, shorts with pockets

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

Cargo pants only go midway, shorts with pockets

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Okey! Didn´t know what it was, but when I searched on Google I got up pictures of long Cargo pants. I took for granted that the OP meant those out of the question asked.

Suggest you do a search too.

Tactical Relaxed Fit Stretch Ripstop Cargo Pant - TACTICAL GREEN (GC)Broken-In Cargos for Men

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

As one man put it very well recently....."one is not going to a disco" so dress accordingly, you are going to a government dept....common sense really. I myself always dress respectfully when going there, shirt etc., having said that though, I wear nice shorts and sandles, not shoes and long trousers.

PS. I do see people dressed like they are at a disco, I say "up to them" If they don' t care about maybe been treated disrespectfully (the same way they are treating Immigration) .... then fire away.

2 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

As one man put it very well recently....."one is not going to a disco" so dress accordingly, you are going to a government dept....common sense really. I myself always dress respectfully when going there, shirt etc., having said that though, I wear nice shorts and sandles, not shoes and long trousers.

PS. I do see people dressed like they are at a disco, I say "up to them" If they don' t care about maybe been treated disrespectfully (the same way they are treating Immigration) .... then fire away.

Yep! It´s their loss, not ours.
However, like you say. It´s also okey to have clean and proper shorts of a good quality or brand with matching shoes and a nice shirt. I always took for granted that people understand these kind of dress codes, but after reading comment after comment of the sometimes gloriously low level ones I have to admit that I just didn´t know how poor the knowledge really are. When I combine that with what we sometimes can see in Immigration, then there is just no known language or word that can express how bad it really is.

You didn't mention your purpose, but I would imagine you are a tourist, maybe applying for an extension?

If I was an immigration officer in Pattaya, and you rolled up to the window in dress trousers and shirt (carrying all your papers in a briefcase) alarm bells would ring.

IMHO, dress as a smart tourist, if you have jeans - put them on - singlet and sandals are fine for the beach, but not cities, but this is what tourists look like - although I understand the objection from the immigration offices I don't necessarily agree.

For those that do not frequent Government Offices; Government employees are all dressed in mourning for another six months. 
So if you want to cheer their day up in bright soccer shorts, rubber toe-slippers and a wife-beater, you'll sure make an impression ;-)

Collared Polo is cool as long as it matches the color of the day.

No you can not. Nothing less than formal business wear, tuxedo, or military uniform is needed when visiting immigration. Or else you will draw the wrath of the TV expat crowd who will lecture you on how you don't understand "thai culture" and how you are insulting Thai immigration officers by the way you dress and as a result they, the superior farang, feel ashamed of lowly farangs like you for making their lives difficult.  

I would think same as me when a ferlung turns up at a party . beach , pub or immigration , the first thing that hits you is the dress sense. You need to look cool physically ( not spiritually )as if attending a restaurant . Shirt , shorts are about right , but for 'eavens sake nothing that makes you sweat . If you arrive at Imm. sweaty change the shirt .  

8 minutes ago, colinneil said:

When i go to immigration, i wear pampers  :cheesy::cheesy:

Hey Colin . I was accosted once in my neck of the woods by 2 Ladyboys .  I put my best foot forward , stiffened my resolve , turned the other cheek and although good mates now for the first week I had to  wear adult pampers.

8 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

Can I wear cargo pants to immigration, with expensive shirt and shoes, thx

Yes, you can as long as you wear a shirt with short or long sleeves and the clothes are clean.

You should see some of the foreigners at Jomtien Chonburi Immigration, unbelievable.

36 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Cargo pants are long, cargo shorts are short.  

Unless you call long cargo pants something different.

When I visit anyone in a government office, I dress respectfully.  Long trousers, a shirt with a collar and no flip flops.

meeting anyone on or in a business capacity, always dress respectfully.  That includes doctors too.

In proper British English, pants are worn beneath shorts or trousers.

trousers come down to your ankles and anything shorter are called short trousers, or shorts, for short.

in American English, they are all called pants.  Long, short, in between, over or under, all pants.

its all pants to me.

36 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Hey Colin . I was accosted once in my neck of the woods by 2 Ladyboys .  I put my best foot forward , stiffened my resolve , turned the other cheek and although good mates now for the first week I had to  wear adult pampers.

Like the joke, but in my case it is true, due to being paraplegic, pampers are now  necessary.

My comment was just to put a bit of humour into the post.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Discos have been called "clubs" since the 1990's Mr.   Most people in Bangkok clubs and others around the world wear nice and often expensive clothes to them. I don't think shorts and sandals are appropriate for going to immigration as well. I'm sure someone on TVF has the picture that is posted up for sure at BKK immigration. It's shows that shorts and open toed sandals are a no no. You might get thrown out even though you think you are better dressed than those "disco" people.  

I think anyone who goes to any immigration office in shorts of scruffy tee-shirts should be told to go home and change before they are served. It is unbelievably disrespectful. I'm shocked and appalled at the way some people dress at my local immigration office. 

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

You didn't mention your purpose, but I would imagine you are a tourist, maybe applying for an extension?

If I was an immigration officer in Pattaya, and you rolled up to the window in dress trousers and shirt (carrying all your papers in a briefcase) alarm bells would ring.

IMHO, dress as a smart tourist, if you have jeans - put them on - singlet and sandals are fine for the beach, but not cities, but this is what tourists look like - although I understand the objection from the immigration offices I don't necessarily agree.

Why would a business person, teacher, lecturer, or anyone seeking to extend their B or O visa for retirement, marriage, employment or business want to appear dressed as a tourist?

You are attending a government department. Dress accordingly.

I usually wear nice jeans but have worn casual trousers sometimes and a shirt with a collar, i.e dress or polo. Don't where flip flops.

I was at immigration recently. Several Europeans and several Indians there. All dressed smartly and clean in appearance apart from two Europeans/North American/Aussie looking guys. One in shorts and sandals (with socks of course!) and another unkempt, scruffy, grumpy and bad mannered.

Up to each to decide how they want to present themselves to the world. Just remember that the impression you make often reflects in how you are treated. 

OP - it's great you actually care enough to ask other opinions. Full length cargos, IMO, would be fine, with shoes or trainers and a nice polo or dress shirt. Appearances do matter - anywhere in the world.

Archived