Immigration Atire

Nice Boyd

19 hours ago, Jeffkp said:

Be well groomed. I think some fashion choices will be forgiven, if you are clean, neat and shaved (for men!).

A side note: It may speak to my age (62), but in "my day", you did not wear jeans to any office.

Please explain why someone with a beard or whiskers should shave, just to visit an Immigration office?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My neighbour works for Buriram immigration, not always in the office but with the military looking for illegals. When the notice first appeared in Korat immigration office I asked him should I ware long trousers when visiting a immigration office. In his words it dose not matter what clothes you ware only that you are polite.

Some of the kindest most polite people I know ware flip-flops, some of the rudest people I know ware shoes.

If you attend any government office dressed like a tramp its not going to look good but wearing a suit and shouting at the officer is worse.

Maybe in the future all immigration offices will have a dress code and we will all have to buy a pair off shoes. But actions should speak loader then your clothes, we do live in Thailand a country with many monks none of whom wear shoes.

Do Thais support a dress code when going to a government establishment? Nah, they wear what they like. Go to any Amphur or Tesseban and see what they turn up in. But as per Thai tradition rules/laws are there to be ignored. Immigration officers must all be walking around with erections with Johnny farang asking how high when they say jump.

On 3/1/2017 at 4:59 AM, Get Real said:

Yes you can. As long as you follow the dress code that says long pants, real shoes and a clean representative look.
Just nice to see read that somebody actually care about this. It´s something all people should do. Not only to respect immigration, but to respect themselfs.

I have been going to immigration for ten years now. So, including my retiree extensions, 90 day reports. and visits for re-entry permits, I think I have been to the local immigration office more than 40 times--my eleventh retiree extension is in a few days. I will wear what I normally wear and have always worn at immigration; cargo shorts, tee-shirt and crocs. I have never been refused and get along well with the IOs.

2 hours ago, muzmurray said:

Please explain why someone with a beard or whiskers should shave, just to visit an Immigration office?

no need to shave - just need to make it appear well groomed.

21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

A wife beater, shorts above the knees, facial hair, plenty of tattoos, socks and flip flops.:cheesy:

And be polite, speak a little Thai, have all the proper paperwork and fees and everything will go well.

16 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

What was that quote: "if you cannot respect others how do you repect yourself"

I think you can respect yourself if you are self-sufficient, take care of your family,  and do not impose on others.  I do not have to respect someone to treat them equitably.

On 3/1/2017 at 10:18 AM, Oishii said:

When I visit anyone in a government office, I dress respectfully.  Long trousers, a shirt with a collar and no flip flops.

meeting anyone on or in a business capacity, always dress respectfully.  That includes doctors too.

In proper British English, pants are worn beneath shorts or trousers.

trousers come down to your ankles and anything shorter are called short trousers, or shorts, for short.

in American English, they are all called pants.  Long, short, in between, over or under, all pants.

its all pants to me.

No, in American pants is something a dog does.

23 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Why would a business person, teacher, lecturer, or anyone seeking to extend their B or O visa for retirement, marriage, employment or business want to appear dressed as a tourist?

You are attending a government department. Dress accordingly.

I usually wear nice jeans but have worn casual trousers sometimes and a shirt with a collar, i.e dress or polo. Don't where flip flops.

I was at immigration recently. Several Europeans and several Indians there. All dressed smartly and clean in appearance apart from two Europeans/North American/Aussie looking guys. One in shorts and sandals (with socks of course!) and another unkempt, scruffy, grumpy and bad mannered.

Up to each to decide how they want to present themselves to the world. Just remember that the impression you make often reflects in how you are treated. 

OP - it's great you actually care enough to ask other opinions. Full length cargos, IMO, would be fine, with shoes or trainers and a nice polo or dress shirt. Appearances do matter - anywhere in the world.

I'd venture to say the ones with socks and sandals were Eurps; but, the unkempt, scruffy, grumpy and bad mannered could be any of the three groups mentioned.

22 hours ago, muffy said:

Smart casual , no shorts .:post-4641-1156694572:

Why no shorts? Long trousers can be just as baggy, dirty, torn and smelly as shorts.

We are in a tropical country. I believe even the British army has a proper shorts uniform for tropical posts.

15 hours ago, Get Real said:

As I always say. The comment you quoted had 10 positive likes, and basically only you call it BS, and want to make a sarcastic joke about it. If that doesn´t tell you something, nothing ever will.

Also as always. People with no feeling of respect , just doesn´t get it!

Please explain to me how what you wear amounts to whether or not you respect someone. I find it better to observe one's actions or deeds to assign respect.

27 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I think you can respect yourself if you are self-sufficient, take care of your family,  and do not impose on others.  I do not have to respect someone to treat them equitably.

Treating somebody the way you express, is actually treating somebody with respect. Well spoken contradiction! Give you my highest regards for that one.

However, if you impose that on an inability to respect the way they want you to dress, then you also miss the point of treating people like equals. Maybe that might, at the end, result in them showing an inability that leads to denying one ore more of your requests. Who know? Better safe than sorry.

7 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Please explain to me how what you wear amounts to whether or not you respect someone. I find it better to observe one's actions or deeds to assign respect.

Explaination: You show respect by following the rules that others wants you to follow, and you will also gain the respect of the people you are dealing with.

Example: You accept the dress code. They react in a more positive way against you. Like missing one of the not so important papers, but maybe you can get away with it and show it next time istead of being denied.
Just a thought.

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

Treating somebody the way you express, is actually treating somebody with respect. Well spoken contradiction! Give you my highest regards for that one.

However, if you impose that on an inability to respect the way they want you to dress, then you also miss the point of treating people like equals. Maybe that might, at the end, result in them showing an inability that leads to denying one ore more of your requests. Who know? Better safe than sorry.

I disagree. Treating people equitably is not respect. If you are in a position of authority and equitably treat only those you respect; then you are prejudiced and not deserving of respect. 

9 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Explaination: You show respect by following the rules that others wants you to follow, and you will also gain the respect of the people you are dealing with.

Example: You accept the dress code. They react in a more positive way against you. Like missing one of the not so important papers, but maybe you can get away with it and show it next time istead of being denied.
Just a thought.

I see no dress code rules at immigration. I have received retiree extensions for my wife and me for ten years; that's over 40 visits to immigration.  I have never worn long pants to immigration and I have never been denied.

16 hours ago, Get Real said:

As I always say. The comment you quoted had 10 positive likes, and basically only you call it BS, and want to make a sarcastic joke about it. If that doesn´t tell you something, nothing ever will.

Also as always. People with no feeling of respect , just doesn´t get it!

Respect my .ss.

29 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I see no dress code rules at immigration. I have received retiree extensions for my wife and me for ten years; that's over 40 visits to immigration.  I have never worn long pants to immigration and I have never been denied.

They are in place in some Immigration offices already, and I am quite sure they are soon coming to an office near you. But never mind, because you just wear what you always have been wearing, right?

5 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Respect my .ss.

As usual there are a lot of elegant and really meaningful comments.

11 minutes ago, Get Real said:

They are in place in some Immigration offices already, and I am quite sure they are soon coming to an office near you. But never mind, because you just wear what you always have been wearing, right?

As usual there are a lot of elegant and really meaningful comments.

I am happy to hear you are quite sure dress codes will be placed everywhere; that may validate your opinions and make you feel justified in your fashion-police mentality.

I am retired. I tend to do what I want to do because I can live just about anywhere I want. If something becomes too much of a hassle for me; I no longer do that.  If I need to wear long pants to stay in Thailand; I might just leave. I have seen no improvement in the conditions I feel are necessary; quite the contrary, I see more shortcomings than benefits to living here today than ten years ago. Unlike so many others, I have neither burned my bridges elsewhere nor buried myself in Thailand. I could be out of here in a few days—I need only enough time to say goodbye to some friends.

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

I am happy to hear you are quite sure dress codes will be placed everywhere; that may validate your opinions and make you feel justified in your fashion-police mentality.

I am retired. I tend to do what I want to do because I can live just about anywhere I want. If something becomes too much of a hassle for me; I no longer do that.  If I need to wear long pants to stay in Thailand; I might just leave. I have seen no improvement in the conditions I feel are necessary; quite the contrary, I see more shortcomings than benefits to living here today than ten years ago. Unlike so many others, I have neither burned my bridges elsewhere nor buried myself in Thailand. I could be out of here in a few days—I need only enough time to say goodbye to some friends.

Seems like a smart plan. Unfortunately many people does not think like you. I have not any problem to relocate either. Not reached the point where I am considered to be a retired person yet, but live like one.
However, I would not leave Thailand only for having to dress up for the IO, but as you say all things considered it might be an idea for the future.

10 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Seems like a smart plan. Unfortunately many people does not think like you. I have not any problem to relocate either. Not reached the point where I am considered to be a retired person yet, but live like one.
However, I would not leave Thailand only for having to dress up for the IO, but as you say all things considered it might be an idea for the future.

Well, I cannot be many people and quite frankly, I can only think of a very few whose life may be better than mine. Its rather obvious that you think you should wear trousers, so having to do so should not make you want to  leave.  However, you may have missed one point I made--I do not believe things are getting better here.  Consequently, the required wearing of trousers would not be the only reason I would leave,  but it may be the straw.

Just now, smotherb said:

Well, I cannot be many people and quite frankly, I can only think of a very few whose life may be better than mine. Its rather obvious that you think you should wear trousers, so having to do so should not make you want to  leave.  However, you may have missed one point I made--I do not believe things are getting better here.  Consequently, the required wearing of trousers would not be the only reason I would leave,  but it may be the straw.

Didn´t miss it at all. Signed earlier:
"but as you say all things considered it might be an idea for the future. "

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

The first and only dress code notice I've ever saw was at the old TOT offices 12 km outside of Korat way back in 2007 as I recall. I never paid heed to it and neither did many others. I've  never saw one at the Pottery village, Chok Chai, St Mary's, Kap Choeng or Buriram offices.

On 3/1/2017 at 2:25 AM, Xonax said:

Image may contain: sunglasses

good to know and actually see, but rarely followed and never seen it enforced. have seen all of the above except smoking and pets and have never seen anyone turned away. i always wear clean cargo shorts and t-shirt with open sandals no socks. have never been turned away, nor seen anyone turned away. clean and neat, don't stink. it's a transaction, not a fashion show!

Was at my local Amphur today. They're all still supposed to be wearing black as a sign of respect for the recent departure of HM. Unfortunately that seemed to have gone out of the window as they were dressed in any old thing.

As I indicated earlier, at immigration it's about control by people who haven't got a pot to pee in over somebody that has to show 800,000 Baht to to get a visa. The buzz they must get must be enormous.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:09 AM, mick220675 said:

My neighbour works for Buriram immigration, not always in the office but with the military looking for illegals. When the notice first appeared in Korat immigration office I asked him should I ware long trousers when visiting a immigration office. In his words it dose not matter what clothes you ware only that you are polite.

Some of the kindest most polite people I know ware flip-flops, some of the rudest people I know ware shoes.

If you attend any government office dressed like a tramp its not going to look good but wearing a suit and shouting at the officer is worse.

Maybe in the future all immigration offices will have a dress code and we will all have to buy a pair off shoes. But actions should speak loader then your clothes, we do live in Thailand a country with many monks none of whom wear shoes.

Being dressed nicely when visiting Immigration, banks, lawyer or any office here in Thailand has always been required.

I got kicked out of the Immigration Office, at Soi Suan Phlu, in 1976 just for wearing a sleeveless shirt and I was clean dressed in long pants, shoes and shaven.

Archived