Immigration Atire

Nice Boyd

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, sinbin said:

Was at my local Amphur today. They're all still supposed to be wearing black as a sign of respect for the recent departure of HM. Unfortunately that seemed to have gone out of the window as they were dressed in any old thing.

As I indicated earlier, at immigration it's about control by people who haven't got a pot to pee in over somebody that has to show 800,000 Baht to to get a visa. The buzz they must get must be enormous.

I think you may be a little full of yourself thinking B800k is a lot of money to some of the immigration officers. The three story row house in which I live was sold four years ago for B6.5M. Across the street from me are two mansions--very large, very nice, two story homes with large yards and multiple car garages. One is owned by an immigration officer.  I doubt B800k would buy one of his several garages.

48 minutes ago, bandito said:

Being dressed nicely when visiting Immigration, banks, lawyer or any office here in Thailand has always been required.

I got kicked out of the Immigration Office, at Soi Suan Phlu, in 1976 just for wearing a sleeveless shirt and I was clean dressed in long pants, shoes and shaven.

It has never been "required" to dress "nicely" when visiting a bank, a lawyer or an office here !

I worked at an airport for many years scrutinizing arriving passengers.

Over time I refused entry to a disproportionate number of people wearing suits. While not considered unusual travel garb for first class passengers, if you came out of cattle class attired in a suit you were immediately suspect. Such people had a good chance of being closely (!) examined by Customs for drugs, and by others for travel motives.

Anyone wearing what we called "the village suit"  (cheap, ill-fitting, uncomfortable) would soon become acquainted with everyone from sniffer dogs to Federal Police.

In the civilized world,  wearing clean, reasonable attire is all that is necessary for business dealings with government departments. I can't say I ever took notice of how many pockets a client had on his shorts. However, as we know, some government employees here have serious control and ego issues and will look for any silly reason to spoil the foreigners day. They may need to be catered to.

I live on a holiday island and wear a clean, button-up shirt, shorts and sandals when visiting Immigration. Anyone wearing a suit would stand out. I can't say I've seen anyone so attired in 7 years here. Many readers here would obviously be surprised that Immigration Officers dealing with tourists, expect such people to be dressed for touring, not the opera!

Any retired expat who still owns a tie is probably British.

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I worked at an airport for many years scrutinizing arriving passengers.

Over time I refused entry to a disproportionate number of people wearing suits. While not considered unusual travel garb for first class passengers, if you came out of cattle class attired in a suit you were immediately suspect. Such people had a good chance of being closely (!) examined by Customs for drugs, and by others for travel motives.

Anyone wearing what we called "the village suit"  (cheap, ill-fitting, uncomfortable) would soon become acquainted with everyone from sniffer dogs to Federal Police.

In the civilized world,  wearing clean, reasonable attire is all that is necessary for business dealings with government departments. I can't say I ever took notice of how many pockets a client had on his shorts. However, as we know, some government employees here have serious control and ego issues and will look for any silly reason to spoil the foreigners day. They may need to be catered to.

I live on a holiday island and wear a clean, button-up shirt, shorts and sandals when visiting Immigration. Anyone wearing a suit would stand out. I can't say I've seen anyone so attired in 7 years here. Many readers here would obviously be surprised that Immigration Officers dealing with tourists, expect such people to be dressed for touring, not the opera!

Any retired expat who still owns a tie is probably British.

Probably holding his Trousers up if hes in Pats.

There used to be a dress code to get into Thai at Chiang Khong when the river crossing was the place before the bridge was built. Only one of the officers used to enforce it. Or if someone told them to hurry up as they wanted to get the last bus to Chiang Mai.

On 3/3/2017 at 0:26 PM, Skeptic7 said:

good to know and actually see, but rarely followed and never seen it enforced. have seen all of the above except smoking and pets and have never seen anyone turned away. i always wear clean cargo shorts and t-shirt with open sandals no socks. have never been turned away, nor seen anyone turned away. clean and neat, don't stink. it's a transaction, not a fashion show!

I and others were recently turned away from Bangkok Land Transportation office wearing cargo shorts, when i went there to renew my drivers license.  That´s where I took the photo.

Archived