Entry fees into national parks for foreign tourists remain unchanged

webfact

Entry fees into national parks for foreign tourists remain unchanged

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37TrA8DXv5RyZhQ6nckjkj34

KRABI: -- The national park advisory committee on Tuesday decided to maintain the current entry fee rate charged on foreign tourists at 400 baht for adults and 200 baht for children at Hat Nopparattara- Mu Ko Phi Phi national park.

Mr Tunya Netithammakul, director-general of Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation, said the advisory committee however recommended that entry fee collection must be transparent and modernized.

It also recommended standard control and the number of tourist boats and the control of the number of tourists visiting national parks.

Earlier, about 500 tourist boat operators staged a protest at Hat Nopparattara- Mu Ko Phi Phi national park to demand a 50 percent cut of entry fee for foreign tourists, claiming that the fee is too high and tends to discourage foreign tourists from visiting the park.

Mr Tunya said the current entry fee into national parks for foreign tourists has remained unchanged since 2006. Proceeds from the entry fee are allocated to develop facilities in the parks for the benefit of tourists.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/entry-fees-national-parks-foreign-tourists-remain-unchanged/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-01

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't bother going to the parks.  Besides most well travelled areas are littered anyway.  

Let me ask this, what if a Thai family went to the USA and wanted to go to a national or an amusement park and found they had to pay up to 10 times the admission to enter based on their citizenship.  Not very nice... is it?

Ko Samed national Park is exactly the same.
200 THB for foreign adults and 100 THB for foreign children.
For Thais it's 40 THB for adults and 20 THB for children.

It's ALL about the principle, Land of smiles they say, sure we understand why !!!
Outrages and completely wrong!

I'm over 20 years married with a Thai lady and have 2 children, they all can enter under the Thai rate but the moron asked me to pay the foreign fee, <deleted>!

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The number of foreign tourists boycotting the rip off venues will also remain unchanged, I imagine !

I hope so. What are these Facilities on phi phi. There is another 20 baht charge on the pier. Nobody checks the number every day. Money or a good amount of it just goes in a few pockets

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Proceeds from the entry fee are allocated to develop facilities in the parks for the benefit of tourists.

Thai tourists get park benefits equal to Foreign tourists. But foreign tourists pay more.

That's discriminatory.

The Park service could equalize the differential by giving foreign tourists additional non-cash benefits without lowering fees for foreign tourists. Just to brainstorm: discount cards at major stores, state-owned transportation; free park re-entries; discount for paid park activities; entry discounts at other national parks.

A diabolically clever plot. They know that the only reason people come to Thailand is to enjoy the unspoiled and pristine natural wonders; and the National Park gomers have a monopoly here. Why reduce the prices when it’s such a locked-in seller’s market? It’s not like visitors are going to be tempted by bars, massage parlors, or any such other non-existent diversions.

47 minutes ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Don't bother going to the parks.  Besides most well travelled areas are littered anyway.  

Let me ask this, what if a Thai family went to the USA and wanted to go to a national or an amusement park and found they had to pay up to 10 times the admission to enter based on their citizenship.  Not very nice... is it?

I think that depends on the normal price. Are there any parks that charge only about 60 cents entry? Of so, I guess tourists wouldn't mind paying $6 or $12 for entry. In Thailand the most I ever paid to use a toilets facilities was 5 thb. In Italy I had to pay 1 euro.

One thing nobody has mentioned, is over 60 years old get in free.

A while back , before my accident i took my FIL to the fish caves 15 kilometers north of Mae hong son.

I went to pay and the lady said over 60 free, showed my passport and went in free.

41 minutes ago, Diamondbob said:

Ko Samed national Park is exactly the same.
200 THB for foreign adults and 100 THB for foreign children.
For Thais it's 40 THB for adults and 20 THB for children.

It's ALL about the principle, Land of smiles they say, sure we understand why !!!
Outrages and completely wrong!

I'm over 20 years married with a Thai lady and have 2 children, they all can enter under the Thai rate but the moron asked me to pay the foreign fee, <deleted>!

Know exactly how you feel. Was in the same situation. I think what makes it worst is that koh samed really does not portrait the image of a national park..... 

Fees could be build into the hotel rates. 

Another amazing expirience we had was driving through khao yai. We were 3 thais and one foreigner in the car. As I drove the car, the rate for the vehicle was the foreigner rate....

20 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Thai tourists get park benefits equal to Foreign tourists. But foreign tourists pay more.

That's discriminatory.

The Park service could equalize the differential by giving foreign tourists additional non-cash benefits without lowering fees for foreign tourists. Just to brainstorm: discount cards at major stores, state-owned transportation; free park re-entries; discount for paid park activities; entry discounts at other national parks.

How about a once a year payment to a central agency for a membership card allowing entry to any park? Oh, no, hang on, if that was the case then the money would be untouchable and couldn't be skimmed by everyone from the rangers to the park directors to the provincial directors.

Transparency, don't make me laugh.

It's not just tourists. I have lived in Thailand for 10+ years and there was a brief period when I could enter a National Park for only double what a Thai pays. Now it is 10 times, so I just don't go there. The unfair and unreasonableness is that in my 10 years here I have undoubtedly paid more in taxes than the average Thai will in his/her entire lifetime.

The fee, although high, is not really the issue for me. The issue is that there are more " Rangers " running around collecting fee's, than people keeping the parks clean and in good order. They are going to control numbers? Ha! Has he ever been to Phi Phi Lie? There are more staff there, and housing for the staff, than any other place I have been to. 100 tourists on the beach before 07.30.  I collect rubbish every morning I go there, from the southern lookout. All they do is sweep up leaves!

24 minutes ago, colinneil said:

One thing nobody has mentioned, is over 60 years old get in free.

A while back , before my accident i took my FIL to the fish caves 15 kilometers north of Mae hong son.

I went to pay and the lady said over 60 free, showed my passport and went in free.

Have to show a passport to get into a national park FOC :shock1:. What a pathetic excuse for a country TL has become.

I read a post sometime back where a farang was asked to pay his internet account 12 months in advance because he was farang. With some help he produced a copy of the Thai constitution where it stated that people can not be discriminated due to race, etc, etc. He was then allowed to pay monthly. 

Maybe be the constitution needs to be raised in situations like this. Blatant racial discrimination. 

21 minutes ago, cocorico2558 said:

Ah come on, stop the weening. Just buy a beer or two less and you saved the amount and at the same time did something for your health! 

I'm sure members on here have more than enough to pay, but that's not the point. It's about being treated with respect.

27 minutes ago, cocorico2558 said:

Ah come on, stop the weening. Just buy a beer or two less and you saved the amount and at the same time did something for your health! 

Ah come on, stop apologizing for this rank exploitation.  Maybe a few beers less and you'd get it (and do something for your own health...).

Archived