BANGKOK 19 April 2019 23:24

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Entry fees into national parks for foreign tourists remain unchanged

Some years ago I went to Ancient City with several Thai, I went to buy admission tickets for all and provided sufficient funds to cover farang fee.

The attendant asked if I had "something" Thai,I showed Thai driving licence and was then charged at the rate for Thais,so some are trying harder to please.

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The number of foreign tourists boycotting the rip off venues will also remain unchanged, I imagine !

Very unfortunate about the greed of small minded burocrats. That cannot see ripping off foreigners is driving people away from parks. Which directly affects the income of there beloved Thai boat owners & food stall vendors etc. Shame on you!

the rates remain unchanged alright, still a lot higher than for locals! for those waiting for things to change, wait for your hair to turn blue. even one temple in Chiang Mai charge tourists entrance fees. perhaps some form of involuntary donation. go figure

4 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

time to boycott these parks..

I always do.

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

all farangs should boycott.

I've been boycotting all double-pricing venues for the past ten years. I haven't missed them even slightly.

28 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

Have to show a passport to get into a national park FOC :shock1:. What a pathetic excuse for a country TL has become.

No i did not say have to show passport, i showed my passport to prove my age.

I volunteered my passport.

5 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

even one temple in Chiang Mai charge tourists entrance fees.

If you mean the "white temple"  then I think you'll find its not really a temple but a private hobby/business.

I wouldn't mind paying 50 baht to go inside.

IMG_3727 (Medium).jpg

I loathe double pricing, but I find the damage to the environment that unregulated and out of control mass tourism brings even more disturbing.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

I would like to see the TAT  put THIS on their tourists pamphlets and brochures

when advertising for Amazing Thailand ? .....

Yeah, when pigs start flying.:cheesy:

I'am English & When i go to parks in the north with my Thai family. I speak Thai at the entrance & often is the case that the staff on the gate get "geng Jai" and will let me in at the Thai price.

1 hour ago, rodney earl said:

They tried to rip me off years ago and did not succeed. I have not been to one since then and I have got no intentions of EVER going to a national park in this country.

Even at 200 I WILL NOT GO.!!!

The idea that unimproved scrubland with a barely trickling waterfall as it's attraction filled with hundreds of 20 baht Thais in pick up trucks blaring music and litter everywhere is somehow a "tourist attraction" is laughable. Even if admission was free I wouldn't visit these sad places.

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

I think that depends on the normal price. Are there any parks that charge only about 60 cents entry? Of so, I guess tourists wouldn't mind paying $6 or $12 for entry. In Thailand the most I ever paid to use a toilets facilities was 5 thb. In Italy I had to pay 1 euro.

How much did Italians have to pay...

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

One thing nobody has mentioned, is over 60 years old get in free.

A while back , before my accident i took my FIL to the fish caves 15 kilometers north of Mae hong son.

I went to pay and the lady said over 60 free, showed my passport and went in free.

Must have been a promotion as I am over 80 and still have to pay.

If I am with my extended family I will do, while loudly protesting and I mean LOUD!

53 minutes ago, A Skeptic said:

It's not just tourists. I have lived in Thailand for 10+ years and there was a brief period when I could enter a National Park for only double what a Thai pays. Now it is 10 times, so I just don't go there. The unfair and unreasonableness is that in my 10 years here I have undoubtedly paid more in taxes than the average Thai will in his/her entire lifetime.

So good luck with trying to attract more "quality" tourists. Applying a 10 times pricing factor for "quality tourists" to visit National parks is hardly a sound business principle.  

If you did this in New Zealand you'd be up before the courts so fast. Discrimination, of any form, and for any reason, is illegal in New Zealand.