Online appeal to help Russian kids in coma following Pattaya accident

webfact

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Xonax said:

Maybe the traffic light was out of order.  They seem to be running from all sides.

I went through it 2 times yesterday, my wife 2 times also.  I was just there.  Lights work fine.  The bus just ran the light.  As many vehicles here do.

4 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

Very sad indeed.

but what parent would let a 16 and a 14 year old out in Thailand on a Scooter ???

Its dangerous enough for Adults...

Hence the sad consequences,......

16 seems young to hold a driving licence....that is too young to be in charge of a motorbike and carrying a pillion passenger?

I really hope they mke a full recovery.

Motor bike license available from 15 years of age.

The test is an absolute joke mind. You would need to be even more retarded than a box of spanners to fail it.

I think the practical part of it took about 45 seconds.

3 hours ago, Wallander4 said:

Buscompany have to pay hospitalbills etc. but not gonna happen since its just foreigners that got hurt ...

A farang friend was run over by a tour bus about 2 years ago, right at the entrance to Walking Street, smashing his legs up rather badly, and the bus company picked up the bills :)

According to the MToday article, the kid's names are (Mr.) Daniel Morgantown (17) and (Ms) Katerina Morgantown (14) - (http://www.mtoday.co.th/5983) The accident doesn't appear to have been covered in any of the English language Pattaya media sites that I've looked at (Mail/Today/One/Daily News/People).

The minimum age in Thailand to have a motorcycle license is 15 (the boy was 16 or 17 depending which source you read, MToday or "Masha"). The Compulsory insurance (Compulsory Traffic Public Liability Insurance commonly known in Thai as Por Lor Bor Insurance) doesn't provide a lot of coverage though (assuming the bike was covered of course).

According to the motor vehicle injuries act of 2535, anyone involved in a motor vehicle accident is covered for losses and medical expenses. This cover is for all persons; in or outside a vehicle, both drivers and passengers, owners of vehicles or pedestrians.

Guaranteed 15,000 Baht for everyone

Not just 3rd parties, everyone is covered for the first 15,000 Baht towards medical expenses as a result of an accident. This benefit is paid within 7 days of request. You do not have to wait for any investigation to find out who is at fault. The following limits apply:

Actual medical expenses not exceeding 15,000 Baht.

35,000 Baht in the event of a death.

Maximum 50,000 Baht in the event of a death after medical treatment.

200 Baht a day compensation for maximum 20 days if victim is an inpatient at hospital after an accident.

Personal Accident cover to 200,000 Baht

As a result of an accident with a CTPL insured vehicle, the total benefits including the basic guaranteed benefits are as follows:

50,000 Baht towards Medical expenses (This includes the initial 15,000 Bt)

200,000 Baht for death, loss of limbs/eyesight or total permanent disability

Makes me think twice as I have Class 1 insurance for the Harley but only the compulsory insurance on the scooter (and an accident policy through my bank though that coverage is limited as well)

Masha has indicated that she has had the kids transferred from Chon Buri to the hospital she works at in Bangkok.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Add, there's a 50/50 chance:

- The bus company is / isn't registered.

- The bus company or whoever is the actual owner of the vehicle has /hasn't got correct insurance for this type of vehicle being hired out to passengers.

Comes back to a point mentioned on these threads a million times, why isn't this industry (and many others) properly and continuously monitored?  

In such case: confiscate bus, auction it, use money for victims. If company has more busses: repeat program. Its not rocket science and thai are masters in generating money if needed so.....

I would never let my 16 year old drive a motor bike here  what is the Father thinking about especially with  his 14 year old Daughter on the back  something I am sure he will live to regret. It is a very sad story as the are so young I am just amazed they are still alive after watching the video. I hope these kids get the medical care they need and someone is responsible for the huge medical bills. I pray they recover.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Add, there's a 50/50 chance:

- The bus company is / isn't registered.

- The bus company or whoever is the actual owner of the vehicle has /hasn't got correct insurance for this type of vehicle being hired out to passengers.

There's a 100% chance that this is sheer, unadulterated speculation based on absolutely no evidence.

Firstly the bus driver is 100% at fault and I am shocked but happy to hear the kids are alive and may survive.  That being said,  children should not be driving here or anywhere else for that matter.  A more experienced driver would have seen this coming based on the speed and heading of the bus.  In fact, you can see a second motorcyclist stop when he sees the bus coming.  I have had countless people run reds on me here to the point where I expect it and look for it at every intersection.  I would be curious to see what safety rating the helmets were as well.  When A bus hits you a helmet may not even help but kids should be wearing the best money can buy if the are going to be on the road.  Best of luck to the family and worst of it to the bus driver.  As far as paying the bills, that's on the bus company.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Surely the tour bus has insurance. By all reports, he jumped a red light, so fault would seem to be clear.

Why shoud the father get slapped with the bill? That IS what insurance is for, right?

My heart goes out to him and I hope the kids both make a full recovery.

I also hope the driver gets the book thrown at him.

I shall be going to the bank to donate, as this is worthy, even though it should not be necessary.

If the driver went through a red light the insurers wouldn't pay out one satang. Why should they? There is no insurance that covers breaking the law.

5 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

Very sad indeed.

but what parent would let a 16 and a 14 year old out in Thailand on a Scooter ???

Its dangerous enough for Adults...

Hence the sad consequences,......

You mean what idiot would drive a massive great tour bus through a red light. Sounds like the kids were 100% in the right.

4 hours ago, Wallander4 said:

Buscompany have to pay hospitalbills etc. but not gonna happen since its just foreigners that got hurt ...

They need a good lawyer who could impound the bus for possible payment of hospital bills.

If there was any sort of justice in this country, then the bus would be impounded by the cops pending forensics and then can be sold after a civil suit. 

Some hope......

Buses and mini vans  drive with total impunity because they know full well there are no consequences for their appalling, dangerous driving.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Shocking video.

Deliberately running a red light is akin to attempted murder (if the kids survive).

The bus driver and his company should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.

3 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

Buses and mini vans  drive with total impunity because they know full well there are no consequences for their appalling, dangerous driving.

You are wrong there... social media and public opinion is changing this.

If there is enough public outcry the police have no option but to act.

Just now, Encid said:

Shocking video.

Deliberately running a red light is akin to attempted murder (if the kids survive).

The bus driver and his company should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.

You are wrong there... social media and public opinion is changing this.

If there is enough public outcry the police have no option but to act.

No..Remember the mini van with totally bald tyres a mere few weeks ago? He was let on his way to transport the unfortunate passengers. Nothing has really changed with these Kamikaze drivers. 

There are outcries every day in Thailand and they are always ignored. 

12 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

No..Remember the mini van with totally bald tyres a mere few weeks ago? He was let on his way to transport the unfortunate passengers. Nothing has really changed with these Kamikaze drivers. 

There are outcries every day in Thailand and they are always ignored. 

True... I remember that story.

But there are others too where social media outcries have resulted in action.

Taxi driver fined Bt1,000 for calling passenger ‘whore’

Video: Thai driver takes the biscuit for mad driving - but gets his just desserts!

Video: Nasty Bangkok taxi driver caught on tape threatening a female passenger is fined and banned for a month

I just hope that this story gets the attention that it deserves.

What a needless waste of youthful lives.

4 hours ago, onemorechang said:

If it's proved he run the red light

Jail him for minimum of 5 years.

life ban from driving commercial vehicles as well

It's about time the authorities of this country  earned there pay.

make some changes,   to remove the murderous Drivers / Riders of the roads of

Thailand.

Time to stop the silly money collection days at the side of the road, and go after the real killers.

on the high ways,  catch them in the act.of red light running and various other dangerous activities on the roads

Hope the kids recover.

The junta has supreme power and is in a perfect position to make Thai roads safer. Instead they waste their time on stupid reconcilliation meetings when they have no intention of reconciling anyone.

Hope the driver gets bounced and those poor boys recover ok.

12 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Edit:  can you post the donation site?

Sorry... cannot as it is against Forum Rules.

22) Members are forbidden to ask for or accept donations, gifts or commissions from other members, any charities must contact support for approval before joining to be approved. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/contact

Details can however be found on a certain Facebook page.

I'm sure you can find it if you re-read this thread and follow the clues.

Chances are the driver was one of the now defunct OAT transport company, those drivers were/are dangerous and a real menace on the road, it.ll be one of the busses from nong nooch who pull straight out onto shukumvit Rd without stopping and no regard to who else is on the road, I know the junction well and looks like the bus went over to nearside lane in an attempt to jump the red light, i have seen this all the time, these driver's think they are above the law and drive knowing there will be no consequences for their dangerous driving. I just hope the bus insurance pays all treatment and the driver is banned, but I,m not holding my breath on that. Hope the kids recover in time.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

16 minutes ago, Encid said:

True... I remember that story.

But there are others too where social media outcries have resulted in action.

Taxi driver fined Bt1,000 for calling passenger ‘whore’

Video: Thai driver takes the biscuit for mad driving - but gets his just desserts!

Video: Nasty Bangkok taxi driver caught on tape threatening a female passenger is fined and banned for a month

I just hope that this story gets the attention that it deserves.

What a needless waste of youthful lives.

The problem as I see it is that the fines are derisory. This is one of my points in my post. No real consequences.

I have not seen a single driver being jailed however bad the offence and even for what would be manslaughter in many other countries.

Yes......derisory fines.

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Always comes back to accountability in this case the bus company but the legal system is a wet napkin so accountability isn't enforced and people/companies aren't held responsible for their actions...

thus nothing ever changes or improves except the date...

The bus driver and the owner of the company should both be hauled in.  Failure to accept complete responsibility and all costs plus compensation should lead to the Driver being lockedup and the owner having all his assets frozen and passport held.

Only until the weak government of the silly little general starts acting like a government shall we see anything like a normal level of responsibility and accountability come to these THAI morons

Archived