when's my Thai gf going to offer to pay for dinner?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/2/2017 at 2:05 PM, colinneil said:

When is my Thai gf going to offer to pay for dinner????       

You for real????   :cheesy:

Wakey wakey, this is Thailand, farang pay end of.

It is actually an extension of standard Thai cultural behaviour; but manipulated by a selfish lady.  Watch and see what happens, as a fly on the wall when Thais go out together.  My wife has 2 or 3 very well off Thai women friends; well one friend and one niece who made good.  I have had a lot of experience with two of them at a lot of social occasions.   When a group of Thais go out, if one of them is more well heeled than the others, they, and her, all expect her to pay or pay the lion's share or all the drinks or the Karaoke or the 700Baht for the special aircon room at a country restaurant.  If they are all all generally at the same economic level, or very close like old school friends from the same background then they split bills.   This girl is following a well worn Thai custom but she is making a meal of it.  My wife was never in my league financially before we married but she understood Farang ways and made gestures of paying when it was something she could afford ("Let me pay for this one, Darling"  etc etc)  or if she instigated the outing.   I always paid most things but she made the polite gestures to show understanding of Farang ways and show appreciation.    This girl must know good manners but she is taking him for a ride.   The sex had be really good but I would never get into a serious long term relationship with one like that. A wedding ring or a live-in offer would only make it worse.   Back home we called them gold diggers, whatever country they were brought up in.   I would do the same here.  After 2 or 3 dates most Thai women I have met, even including many bar girl "companions" I have had, like to show "Jai Dee" from time to time.    Dump her.

Damn. Just noticed how old this post is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Drat.  They will be married by now.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, I feel old!
I was born and raised in New England well before the advent of universal "career women". The women, on average, married and stayed home to keep house, raise babies, etc., and had little opportunity to earn cash to take their boyfriends/ husbands out on a date. "Dutch treat" where each pay half was sort of the earmark of "cheap Charlie" involvement, and did not attract the most desirable girls.
Thailand is a nation where less than 100 years ago women were literally chattel. In some respects that is still true, but the relevance is that it is still expected that the man will provide the wherewithal, and the woman will manage and maintain the family resources.
As has been posted many times in this thread, this is not "The West", so just don't expect (relatively new!) Western behaviour from Thai women. 
It is coming, but slowly. As my GF says, in the meantime, "You pay, pay, pay. Don't be stinky." (Stingy ????)

3 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Damn, I feel old!
I was born and raised in New England well before the advent of universal "career women". The women, on average, married and stayed home to keep house, raise babies, etc., and had little opportunity to earn cash to take their boyfriends/ husbands out on a date. "Dutch treat" where each pay half was sort of the earmark of "cheap Charlie" involvement, and did not attract the most desirable girls.
Thailand is a nation where less than 100 years ago women were literally chattel. In some respects that is still true, but the relevance is that it is still expected that the man will provide the wherewithal, and the woman will manage and maintain the family resources.
As has been posted many times in this thread, this is not "The West", so just don't expect (relatively new!) Western behaviour from Thai women. 
It is coming, but slowly. As my GF says, in the meantime, "You pay, pay, pay. Don't be stinky." (Stingy ????)

Most guys would have a better experience if they were not so desperate to find a mate at any cost, which leads (seemingly) to so many guys here ending up with women from the poorer parts of Thailand.    I've still not got my head around why guys who've often times already been divorced back in their home countries, quite often have teenage or older kids and who are either retired or soon to be, decide they want to marry some foreign woman they can't even speak with properly.

Singapore is extremely expensive. For airfare, a nice hotel and expenses figure 30,000 baht and up for a two day trip. 

While the expectation for her to buy you dinner is probably unrealistic, a small gesture like picking up the tab for some fruit, a taxi ride or small expenses like that demonstrate that she is not completely self absorbed and a kind hearted soul. 

Archived