Goodbye "Sin City" hello "Sports City" - Kobkarn announces Pattaya makeover citing Jetskis as major world attraction

webfact

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to see what will actually happen.

Close all the go-go/ beer bars around walking street will not be easy considered the very powerful people owning them and if they do, Pattaya will never be the same again but turn into a boring holiday resort with low quality sea water that nodbody with common sense will swim in.

Pattaya looks best after dark.

5 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

" There are many events in the province that are world class"

Errmm.. care to name one dear?  and, no, JetSki's is not one of them 

Ping Pong perhaps?

Yeah... but the balls aren't supposed to be wet! 

Yes.. Hard to be a city for sports with zero sports infrastructure.  Running tracks, Public parks and boardwalks adjacent to the beach for walking, cycling and rollerblading ? Nope...

Loads of bars, restaurants, and shopping ? Yep..

I guess if you count Golf, GoKarts and shaggin as sports you'd be on the right track.

Please zone the bars out of existence, or at least away from the bulk of both Pattaya and Jomtien.  For me, the main problem is the noise they make (awful).  They are doing it now as I write this:  cat-scratching voices doing Karaoke with a very loud bass thrown in.  The police never do anything about it.  And we all know why.

Assume. I can't wait to see a pole mounted on a jet ski. Pole dancers zipping up and down Pattaya's beach. Cool!   

This lady may have a great idea!

11 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hey this looks about true if I remember right all over the place

Desperate words in desperate times me thinks, the later photo says it the best

That's so considerate,   to have two public toilets fitted in this Soi

Good Job  :thumbsup:

The World Class,  Family Destination Pattaya is now days.

8 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Ping Pong perhaps?

Bridge!   oops...

7 hours ago, Prbkk said:
7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Here's my idea.

Invite young international artists of all kinds of have residence in Pattaya.

Offer a special visa for the "international artists zone VISA" with full residence rights.

Build an opera house. Live theaters. Art galleries (not Teddy Bear "museums")

There is cheap rent here, nice weather, with a NEXUS of such people in 10 or 20 years Pattaya could become one of the major arts and culture destinations on the planet.

I have no illusion they would do such a thing but that is a way they REALLY could change the image of the place in the LONG TERM. 

Indeed. And structured gap year/study abroad could be part of that. Unfortunately it would take an awful lot of talking to get parents to agree to let "precious" spend 24 hours in Thailand unchaperoned, let alone 6 months or more.

Things like this are not built. They arise organically. True artists don't relocate to a place just because it has a few buildings. They relocate to a place full of kindred spirits, brilliant minds, and a setting that inspires both. But I do agree that good visa policies and supporting institutions, like universities, are needed to even allow that growth a chance.

Yes and no. I agree the right PEOPLE and enough of them are the key to build such a scene. 

I'm reminded of a place I'm considering moving to, St. Pete, Florida. They BUILT a major new art museum, the DALI museum, and that got them noticed internationally. Of course they had a varied arts scene before and after the museum. It's a combination of things. 

There's an area of Pattaya that feels to me like a good place for an arts district to start ... 3rd road south of Pattaya North road. 

9 hours ago, Wallander4 said:

Does she know Jetski Scamming is not a sport ?

It is for the Thais... I heard they're even considering proposing it as a future Olympic competition.

The national team that can extort the most money out of their tourist customers in the shortest time wins the Gold Medal.

Of course, they could also host international bridge tournaments in Pattaya, with the winning player being the one who is able to most quickly bail themselves out of jail and escape from the Thai BIB.

6 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Oh Dear

Yet another Pattaya bashing thread- from the people whose daily excitement is reporting how the rice has grown that day- and of course wish they were in Sin City.

The idea of zoning has been around for ages- personally I think get rid of all the beer bars dotted around and push everyone to one small Soi down the coast somewhere . 

You mean like Soi 6??? :w00t:

13 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Ping Pong perhaps?

Ah let me see...  Fine Dining at the Y, Muff Diving World Champs, BBBJCIM Challenge..

:cheesy::cheesy:  First it was the new Macau.  Now Pattaya is going to be the jetski capital of the world (at possibly the most polluted public beach in the world).  

When your kids were around 5, did they ever come running up to you all excited with an idea to open a lemonade stand on the front lawn?  "Everybody who comes down the street will buy my lemonade and I'll make zillyuns of dollars, Daddy!!!"  And that old broken bookshelf got a new lease on life...      ...for about a day.

And when these jetski addicts aren't actually riding (or feeding the jetski scammers), they can be touring the trash dumps!   Sort of a "surf and turf" thing. 

17 hours ago, Prbkk said:

She's no fool , but it has not yet dawned on her that flogging fridges and aircons is fundamentally different from, far more simple than, running a complex multi-faceted industry like tourism. She lurches from one lunatic idea to the next without drawing breath and quietly drops last week's plan A in favour of the next poorly conceived bit of nonsense. This scatter gun silliness can never replace some decent strategy development and a "warts and all" review of Thailand's performance and opportunities. She's getting poor advice.

Problem is she, along with most Thais, doesn't 'need' advice coz she knows it all anyway.  But it's been a good week for announcements:

Pattaya Police Chief  "there is no prostitution in Pattaya"

Tourist Minister "Pattaya the International Hub for jetskis"

and lest we forget

"No passengers ever miss their flights" from the Airport BigWig

so everything's fine and dandy in  Los Los land

"Sports City"... they gotta be joking. Pattaya City sports complex is a total disaster. The swimming pool is just green slime. The Children's park swings and slides are full of rusty, jagged edges, waiting to give your child tetanus. Volley ball courts are made up of a series of holes joined together by a little bit of paving. No maintenance has been done for many years. I always find it strange that Thailand manages to find funds to build something but then fails to create funds to maintain it. Poor management or corruption? Either way the people lose.

Archived