Raja Ferry plays down safety fears after video of car deck flooding and ship listing on way to Samui

webfact

Raja Ferry plays down safety fears after video of car deck flooding and ship listing on way to Samui

2am.jpg

Picture: Thairath

KOH SAMUI: -- The Raja Ferry company on Koh Samui has moved to allay public fears after one of their ships was flooded on the car deck and began listing.

They have blamed big waves, high winds and a blocked drain saying it is "an occasional occurrence" and nothing to worry about Thairath reported.

Video of the incident on Wednesday at 8.30pm posted online by a passenger caused much concern from those on the ferry and members of the public. The poster said they were terrified as the ship filled with water via the bow doors and started listing.

The incident brought to mind the Townsend Thoresen disaster off the coast of Belgium in 1987 when more than 190 people died as a car ferry sank after taking on water through bow doors that were left open as the ship left port.

The passenger sharing the video claimed it was Raja Ferry's oldest boat and said that the company was "playing with people's lives".

Apichart Chaiyopas a manager at the ferry company said: "This is something that happens from time to time and there was no danger to the travelling public".

He blamed waves of between two and three meters and high winds for causing the water to enter the car deck. Then the problem was exacerbated because a drain was blocked.

The ship reached its destination on Samui safely having started its journey from Don Sak and the drain has now been unblocked, he added.

He said that the listing of the ferry that the passengers experienced was caused by the waves and winds.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-03

5 hours ago, webfact said:

They have blamed big waves, high winds and a blocked drain saying it is "an occasional occurrence" and nothing to worry about Thairath reported.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry well off to the bathroom I think I have a blocked drain as well. Must find the Miralax and see what the side effects are there always is. Must be spending to much time sitting in this chair typing and my bowels are backing up. Oh woe is me. 

52 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Lousy safety standards, inexperienced crew, absence of inspections, greed, and sloppy (if ever) maintenance is an unbeatable recipe for disaster. If the ferry sinks, will anyone be arrested for illegal fish feeding? 

You covered the whole spectrum. Maybe the captain had a nip or two. Do they have a insurance disclaimer written on the back of the ticket saying "If boat starts sinking your on your own"

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Apichart Chaiyopas a manager at the ferry company said: "This is something that happens from time to time and there was no danger to the travelling public".

Where do they find these people and they make em managers yet?? Must be connected somehow

1 hour ago, The Old Bull said:

I still think the Raja ferry is the best as you can sit outside if it tips over you will be in the water not inside a box with a hundred people trying to get out of one door.

Oh yes......thats a great point......although, wouldn't it be better to use a vessel that doesn't have safety issues.....like the Raja?

The incident brings to mind the Townsend Thoreson incident off the coast of Belgium. Well, how about the Dona Paz, an extremely overloaded ferry, and Victor, an oil tanker, off the Luzon coast in the PI in 1987.  It was near Christmas and the 1400 passenger capacity Dona Paz was carrying more like 4,000 passengers going home for Christmas.  The two ships ran into each other and exploded, only 24 people were rescued, over half were crew from the Victor.

I used to prefer taking the Dona Paz from Manila to Cebu and return in the 70's--nice first-class cabins with cold a/c, private first-class deck, well-prepared dinner and party with a band at night. Quite an enjoyable and romantic cruise. If you didn't have your current sweet thing with you, you could always go back to steerage and offer upgrades to special young ladies.  The last time I took the Dona Paz was in the early 80's, the a/c was out, the first class deck was berth to fourth-class passengers, and there was no band in the main dining hall at night--the food also was not nearly as good as it had been just a few years earlier. Fortunately, I took the old Dona no more.

3 hours ago, robertson468 said:

This should be taken up by the Maritime Authorities for investigation and Raj Ferry's response is outrageously irresponsible.

Wake up Thai authorities..... is this a joke ? Funny anyway...

10 hours ago, robertson468 said:

This should be taken up by the Maritime Authorities for investigation and Raj Ferry's response is outrageously irresponsible.

They have set up a comittee to investigate this and are awaiting funds from Raj Ferry company so the investigation can be carried out thoroughly and measures taken to prevent such an occurence in the future,however Raj have requested another comittee be set up to look into the impartiality of this comittee as they feel it will not be open and transparent...............meanwhile they will be running the ferries as normal :cheesy:

5 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Lousy safety standards, inexperienced crew, absence of inspections, greed, and sloppy (if ever) maintenance is an unbeatable recipe for disaster. If the ferry sinks, will anyone be arrested for illegal fish feeding? 

Did the captain apologize for the inconvenience? Anyway if the ferry sinks he can't run away.....:sorry:

3 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Thank you. If I have a beer or two while pounding the keys I get real inspirational. 

Do me a favour have 2 more 

& when your out of jokes oh wise one take a look at " whens my thai GF gonna buy me a beer " 

hard to believe there are so many brain deads over here

yiu can make me chuckle 3 times today 

that will be 3 times this month 

2 minutes ago, Itsnottheplaceitwas said:

Do me a favour have 2 more 

& when your out of jokes oh wise one take a look at " whens my thai GF gonna buy me a beer " 

hard to believe there are so many brain deads over here

yiu can make me chuckle 3 times today 

that will be 3 times this month 

The month has just started. Wait till about the 25th it will be full steam ahead damn the draw bridges. Here is a good one for you. My Thai g/f bought me a beer the day before yesterday just before she told me that she was going away for 4 days to do a "Mission Impossible" I no longer rise to the bait I said go for it. 4 days of fun and merriment and peace and quiet. For the sake of disclosure she is not your average Thai lady God bless her she talks a mile a minute and is an expert on everything. 

On 3/2/2017 at 10:10 PM, smotherb said:

The incident brings to mind the Townsend Thoreson incident off the coast of Belgium. Well, how about the Dona Paz, an extremely overloaded ferry, and Victor, an oil tanker, off the Luzon coast in the PI in 1987.  It was near Christmas and the 1400 passenger capacity Dona Paz was carrying more like 4,000 passengers going home for Christmas.  The two ships ran into each other and exploded, only 24 people were rescued, over half were crew from the Victor.

I used to prefer taking the Dona Paz from Manila to Cebu and return in the 70's--nice first-class cabins with cold a/c, private first-class deck, well-prepared dinner and party with a band at night. Quite an enjoyable and romantic cruise. If you didn't have your current sweet thing with you, you could always go back to steerage and offer upgrades to special young ladies.  The last time I took the Dona Paz was in the early 80's, the a/c was out, the first class deck was berth to fourth-class passengers, and there was no band in the main dining hall at night--the food also was not nearly as good as it had been just a few years earlier. Fortunately, I took the old Dona no more.

according to wiki:  only 26 survivors were retrieved from the water. Twenty-four of them were passengers from the Doña Paz while the other two were crewmen from the Vector's 13-man crew

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

according to wiki:  only 26 survivors were retrieved from the water. Twenty-four of them were passengers from the Doña Paz while the other two were crewmen from the Vector's 13-man crew

Yeah, but even Larry Wales--the founder of wikipedia--suggests you shouldn't quote wikipedia for anything important

I watched the video in the OP link and, contrary to my own cynicism, lean toward the Company on this one.  To me, the language used by passengers and furthered in the press, is a bit over the top in this case.

Of course the admission by Raja Ferries that a OTS deck drain, or more than one perhaps, was blocked, doesn't help their case any and certainly feeds the stereotype, and my cynicism. 

Having said that, the amount of water wasn't normal, neither was the sea state (apparently), but IMV, not a grave concern. I could understand how a less experienced and/or nervous passenger might think it was a huge problem standing in ankle deep water.  I would like to think, however, that the crew would have recognized the fact the water wasn't gravity draining OTS as it ought to.  Not clear if they sussed and fixed it out there on the spot or later, only AFTER the flame spraying they got on social media. The latter, again,, smacks of explaining it away by admitting to carelessness with maintenance and safety checks. 

Re: listing..... In the video, it appeared to me they were taking on water from a forward/stbd angle, sloshing to and run aft on the port side;  suggesting they were probably quartering into the wind and waves, which would contribute to pitch/roll and that "listing" feeling, especially on a vessel not suited to higher sea states.  It would also mean that the portion of waves not deflected and dampened by bow projection under the ramp, were sloshing up and onto the lower hinge joint, and against the right side vertical ramp/hull join area.  So yes, esp in higher sea state, water's going to get in....which is why the frickin' deck drains and scuppers need to be clear.. 

Raja1.jpgI0093.jpg

The Belgian capsize in '87 was due to having previously filled forward sea water/ballast tanks to compensate for ramp config issues at the pier, and the tragically wrong ASSUMPTION made by the responsible officer on the bridge, who got underway without the required confirmation that the bloody front doors were closed. 

tp://www.ship-disasters.com/passenger-ship-disasters/herald-of-free-enterprise/

Archived