Two women killed instantly as car plunges from third floor of Hat Yai department store car park

webfact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, luis888 said:

A sad loss of 2 lives may they RIP

It amazes me the comments people send in. This was a accident that should never have happened but it did and it cost the life of 2 people. Obviously all the "clever" people never <removed> up. It must be so boring being perfect

It amazes me how people like you dismiss tragedy with the obligatory and meaningless "RIP" as if it had any value of any kind at all.   

Unfortunately no cctv coverage  has been  made  available  to  confirm  or  deny  the  copious theoretical explanations or lack of infrastructural  compensations  for possible  blonde  type incidents or any recognition of the anomalies that  Murphy's  Law presents the   world  with   daily..

Yes,  RIP  to the  deceased.

The curbstone under the flimsy railings should be enough to stop small cars, it looks like 10" or so. The trend to drive these SUV things with big wheels and 4x4 means this can happen if you are not an experienced driver and panic when selecting the wrong gear.

Whatever make of vehicle it is the roof has been completely flattened by the impact (check where the door handle is in the picture), which would have caused instantaneous death by crushing the heads of the occupants or at least breaking their necks. No seat belt would stop that.

The lack of driving ability, likely coupled with not paying attention to what you are doing caused this.

RIP girls, off to the big shopping mall in the sky.

What an awful way to go.   Back flip.  The horror.  RIP.   That is a big curb past the parking bumper.  Not an easy thing to go over??

8' Saab test is meaningless compared to 3 stories.  

17 hours ago, sobriquet said:

The railings are just for show? Maybe my armchair physics is rusty, but they can't have hit the guard rail with that much force, can they? We've all done stupid things in the car, such a preventable accident. 

In reality the physical construction of a high rise car park should not let this happen........ barriers etc should be there all of suitable height.

Probably would never of happened with a manual transmission.

Nowadays people who haven't the skill to drive a manual get let loose in auto everything cars.

If you can't operate a gear shift or park without sensors, cameras or self park feature you shouldn't have a driving licence.. Just another example of the dumbing down of society.

2 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Probably would never of happened with a manual transmission.

Nowadays people who haven't the skill to drive a manual get let loose in auto everything cars.

If you can't operate a gear shift or park without sensors, cameras or self park feature you shouldn't have a driving licence.. Just another example of the dumbing down of society.

Would depend on the society's sincerity in achieving a target. From how serious they test and issue licenses, this society is just a step from the target to take the number one spot on road fatalities.

13 minutes ago, trogers said:

Would depend on the society's sincerity in achieving a target. From how serious they test and issue licenses, this society is just a step from the target to take the number one spot on road fatalities.

Yes reducing carnage and pointless deaths is very low on their agenda here. The rich and powerful are happy with the status quo. There are plenty of people, life is cheap and natural attrition keeps the gene pool keen.  As nature intended it to be I guess. So different to the West which wraps idiots in cotton wool so they survive and pays the feckless to avoid work and breed. 

Yes reducing carnage and pointless deaths is very low on their agenda here. The rich and powerful are happy with the status quo. There are plenty of people, life is cheap and natural attrition keeps the gene pool keen.  As nature intended it to be I guess. So different to the West which wraps idiots in cotton wool so they survive and pays the feckless to avoid work and breed. 

Thats so near the truth I'm amazed A Holliday wasn't handed out

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What a terrible accident. RIP.
still cannot fathom the physics. Looks like the car overcame 3 obstacles, the thing on the floor, the concrete and the guard rail. There could not have been much speed involve. How much can one really accelerate in one yard?
Can anybody calculate mass * speed= force? Even a relatively flimsy rail should have given the driver enough time to switch gears, no? I am asking here, not speculating or making a statement. Just dont know.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 3/3/2017 at 0:40 PM, trogers said:

Shows the real price of buying driving licenses. Luckily, no 3rd party has been a victim.

Agreed...people are loathe to say it...but the driver was simply stupid...and probably bought the license...much like a dangerous percentage of Thai drivers...I met someone who actually crashed the car during the driver's exam, and got a license by paying a tip...

12 hours ago, Kabula said:

As I was crossing a pedestrian, zebra market crosswalk several days ago, a same model and color car almost ran me over.  I wonder if it was the same driver.

Well you wont be getting an answer from them now thats for sure, unless you can lay your hands on a good medium

On 3/3/2560 at 2:53 PM, gdgbb said:

100% chance that is not what happened. 

Can an ignition key be removed while the transmission is in R in order to leave the car parked?

not speculating what happened to here. 

The ignition key cannot be removed while the engine is still running if it is in reverse gear, but after you parked in the car in gear P and removed it, you can put insert your car key in the gear box key slot and change it to any gear you wish to. sometimes if you parallel park here you need to put your gear in neutral after you off your engine so that others can push your car to get their cars out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2017 at 1:15 PM, Stocky said:

Indeed, in the nanny state West they have to build everything idiot proof or put stickers on things to tell you what you should already know; and if they don't the injured party can sue you for their own stupidity.

In Thailand you still need to look out for yourself.

This mistake can happen to anybody and especially the elderly. It doesn't cost that much to build concrete barriers and it does create work which is always good for society. Yes the nanny state west where a person in a wheel chair can travel about freely. I for one am proud of our forward thinking.

Archived