Bring motorcycle into Thailand

Importing your own motorcycle into Thailand is not worth it due to duties and tax costs which are ridiculous to the extreme but thats another matter.

I live in Thailand on a Non O retirement visa. I own a GS1200 in Australia. I am thinking of doing a ride through Asia and want to use my GS for the tour.

I believe I can bring my GS to Thailand and the bike can stay with me while I have a current visa here? This is not the same as importing. For want of a better word my bike gets a 'visa' or permit to stay with me while I am here. I can not sell it here and if I choose move out of Thailand the bike has to come with me. But if I do stay in Thailand and have a current visa I can keep the bike with me for as long as I want. 

Has anyone had this experience? 

What about costs for customs clearance? 

Under this permit, I believe I can ride it on my Australian registration here in Thailand? Thus no fees and registration costs here?

NO u cant bring it in since they changed the laws to stop all the Chinese hoards from entering and driving around.   Unfortunately it has caused lots of problems for guys traveling distances and going thru Thailand, U need apply WAY in advance and u need exit the same border u enter.

What i did when i brought my US registered 1970 Triumph over  back in 99 is got a carnet and shipped it to Malaysia and than rode into Thailand (didn't bother reporting or signing in the bike).   I have friends that have done the same,  some also have gotten 90 day imports for their bikes and have to take it to the border every 90 days.

it is still here on CA plates after 18 years  :-)

Not sure if this will still work under new laws

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:03 AM, phuketrichard said:

NO u cant bring it in since they changed the laws to stop all the Chinese hoards from entering and driving around.   Unfortunately it has caused lots of problems for guys traveling distances and going thru Thailand, U need apply WAY in advance and u need exit the same border u enter.

What i did when i brought my US registered 1970 Triumph over  back in 99 is got a carnet and shipped it to Malaysia and than rode into Thailand (didn't bother reporting or signing in the bike).   I have friends that have done the same,  some also have gotten 90 day imports for their bikes and have to take it to the border every 90 days.

it is still here on CA plates after 18 years  :-)

Not sure if this will still work under new laws

Definitely won't work under the new rules.

Not only does one need to apply at least 15 business days before arrival, but a guide and Thai registered lead vehicle is compulsory. A foreign registered vehicle can only spend 60 days in Thailand within a calendar year.

You may leave from a different border crossing than the one entered, I think you were referring to the original rules but they have since been amended twice. The first time they changed the rules to allow you to travel throughout the country and leave at a different border, but the border crossings have to be specified in advance. Then in December they introduced the guide requirement.

Malaysian, Singaporean and Lao registrations are exempt from the new rules. Cambodian and Burmese vehicles traveling in their respective border areas and exiting back through the same border they entered are also exempt. All other registrations must seek entry in advance, through an authorized Thai based travel agent.

Archived