Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BadCash

Where to buy quality laptop backpack (other than the obvious malls)?

Recommended Posts

I've been looking for a stylish and good quality backpack for my laptop and other things, been all over town but didn't find any that suits my needs (I'm quite finicky about backpacks!).

 

Specifically, I'm looking for a bag that is at least 30 liters, stylish, can fit a laptop, comfortable and looks great even when it's empty. Found quite a few that fulfill everything but the size, most being about 22 liters (ex. Case Logic, InCase, Delsey, etc.). And some were big but not quite stylish enough (North Face, Deuter). Short story - I've spent many hours in many shopping malls (even had a look in MBK and Platinum, but I'm dubious about the quality - I'd rather buy one bag for 4000 baht that doesn't break than five 800 baht bags that break at the worst possible time).

 

Are there any stores that you guys think I've missed? Perhaps some specializing in laptop backpacks or more "stylish" backpacks? (hiking type backpacks with tons of straps and clutter are a no go!)

Maximum price around 4000 baht, so no silly expensive designer stores ;)

 

I've been to Terminal21, Robinson Asoke, Paragon dept. store, Siam Discovery, MBK, Platinum Mall, Amarin, Central Chitlom, Central World, Big C Supercenter, Supersports Central Rama9... I seldom venture to the more distant malls (Central Ladprao, Bangna, etc.) - might they have something that the above mentioned don't have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NO, of course not-they all have the same few chain-shops as everywhere. IF there is some special foreign produce (as thats most likely you want) they are in the touristy big centre-malls. Prices will also be more as in the west-its all import.

You did NOT say -as you say to have such an eye for detail- WHERE in those malls you looked. Speciality shops, most likely to have something you fancy, are all also in malls, but under their own label=not in the general deprtmt. stores. Forget/dont even think of BigC or TescoLotus. Like Amarin at the holy PraProm corner at Rajprasong-big outdoor shops or Central Lard Prao.

Plan B: some of the more fancy 2nd hand (they call themselves recycle) JAPANese shops along Sukhumvit/Japantown and side-sois.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FORTUNE TOWER could be an option too, there are many chain stores that offer quality accessories, but as you have already been to so many places, I actually doubt that you will find what you are looking for there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last week i noticed that the Oakley shops had 50% discount...also on backpacks iirc...

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had Targus bought in the US ages ago finally needed replacing after 7 years of HARD use. Many global Construction job sites etc. At that time While in IT City  (Central Bangna) they had a great sale on Targus Laptop Day backpacks (just closing out as no Thai wanted them they said) I bought 2 and after 3 years the first one is going strong. Subjected to the same abuse. The second is safely stored in the closet. Just my experience. Like you am into value for money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using Targus Shift daily for last three years. It is great and comfortably fits laptop and lots of extra stuff but it looks bigger than the backpacks I used before, and a bit heavier too.

It is there on Lazada too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good god man , get m off your keester and go look at lap top  bags ,.....

jeeezee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2017 at 1:43 AM, BadCash said:

and looks great even when it's empty.

Who are you trying to impress with an empty laptop bag?  Or a full one for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Who are you trying to impress with an empty laptop bag?  Or a full one for that matter.

Why would you assume I'm trying to impress anyone? I just don't like having a backpack that turns into a shapeless pile of fabric when not full of stuff - both because of the comfort and practical aspects as well as aesthetics. 

 

I finally got a Osprey Radial 34 which I'm very happy with. Sure, it's a bit more on the hiking side than I would prefer, but it's definitely less cluttered with straps and whatnot than most of its kind. It also has some really great features:

It stands on its own, no more trying to lean the bag against walls or chairs and having it slide down on the floor

It has a great laptop compartment which protects the laptop from banging into the floor when setting it down

It has a ventilated back (not that it helps that much in the Thai heat though)

It is comfortable and even has a hip strap which gives some shoulder relief when carrying heavy loads for a long time

It looks good enough

It is lightweight

It is somewhat expandable (it has a stretchable bicycle helmet pouch)

It is quite waterproof, and comes with a rain cover. Drove with it between my feet on a scooter in 10 cm water and heavy rains outside Chiang Mai - completely dry inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BadCash said:

Why would you assume I'm trying to impress anyone? I just don't like having a backpack that turns into a shapeless pile of fabric when not full of stuff - both because of the comfort and practical aspects as well as aesthetics. 

 

I finally got a Osprey Radial 34 which I'm very happy with. Sure, it's a bit more on the hiking side than I would prefer, but it's definitely less cluttered with straps and whatnot than most of its kind. It also has some really great features:

It stands on its own, no more trying to lean the bag against walls or chairs and having it slide down on the floor

It has a great laptop compartment which protects the laptop from banging into the floor when setting it down

It has a ventilated back (not that it helps that much in the Thai heat though)

It is comfortable and even has a hip strap which gives some shoulder relief when carrying heavy loads for a long time

It looks good enough

It is lightweight

It is somewhat expandable (it has a stretchable bicycle helmet pouch)

It is quite waterproof, and comes with a rain cover. Drove with it between my feet on a scooter in 10 cm water and heavy rains outside Chiang Mai - completely dry inside.

Sorry, mis-read your initial post. You want a backpack which will take a laptop as well, and looks good even when empty.(Why carry it empty?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry, mis-read your initial post. You want a backpack which will take a laptop as well, and looks good even when empty.(Why carry it empty?)

 

No problem ?

 

I don't mean literally "empty", but most of the time I just carry the laptop, a charger and an umbrella in it. This would cause many backpacks to "deflate" and look like a sad bunch of fabric. It also makes it more difficult to put the backpack down on the floor and get things in/out of it. But the Osprey actually keeps its shape really well, and the built in stand is one of the best things I've seen ? Don't know how I managed without it before ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

You sound like you have too much time on your hands.... 

You sound like it would be a bad thing to have time on your hands ? To each his own I guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...