American tourist breaks leg climbing on Railey Bay cliff in Krabi

webfact

American tourist breaks leg climbing on Railey Bay cliff

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

KRABI: -- An American tourist was taken to hospital Sunday after breaking her leg in a climbing fall at a cliff at Railey Bay in Krabi.

National Park authorities and the local climbing association attended the accident yesterday morning. The tourist was attended to at the scene before being transferred to Ao Nang by long tail boat, reported Daily News.

She was then met by ambulance and taken to hospital.

Parks' rep Saman Wajidee said that Samara Lander, 38, had suffered a suspected broken left leg while climbing with three friends on the western cliffs.

The party were climbing alone and did not hire the services of a local company. He said the victim had fallen about six meters and had several injuries.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-06

It goes with the territory... climbers fall... the danger of the fall potential is often the attraction for adrenaline sports in this field.

she won't complain about it (the fall... maybe the pain though)... if she does complain, she shouldn't have been climbing there ( or anywhere... including indoor venues) in the first place.

I am not super surprised.

If you go to Railey there are farang staying around Ton Sai, when I walked over to Ton Sai from Railey there were a fair few farang sort of set themselves out with ropes, etc and doing a bit of climbing right there

American tourist deemed ‘careless’ in Krabi rock-climbing fall

Yutthawat Lekmak

1489542672_1-org.jpg

American tourist Samara Landers, 38, broke her leg in a six-metre plunge from the rock face on March 5. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

KRABI: -- Police in Ao Nang, Krabi, say they have inspected and declared safe for climbing the rock face at Railay Beach where American tourist Samara Landers, 38, broke her leg in a six-metre plunge on March 5.

Ms Landers was scaling the edifice with three friends when she fell, breaking her leg on landing. Fellow rock climbers called for assistance, which took hours to recover her from the site and get her to hospital. 

“We have inspected the scene where Mrs Landers who fell and asked the local rock-climbing club, and they said that everything there is okay, that no climbing pins in the wall are worn out or need replacing,” Capt Chokdee Petdaung of the Ao Nang Police told The Phuket News.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/american-tourist-deemed-careless-in-krabi-rock-climbing-fall-61388.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-03-15

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, I know it's an older post but does anyone have further details of this accident?

The article claims she was "careless" but doesn't give any further details. She is wearing a harness in the photo, so presumably roped up (not free soloing as someone else implied.)

Thanks very much.

18 hours ago, Brian2017 said:

Hi everyone, I know it's an older post but does anyone have further details of this accident?

The article claims she was "careless" but doesn't give any further details. She is wearing a harness in the photo, so presumably roped up (not free soloing as someone else implied.)

Thanks very much.

She is careless because the officials said she was.  Not being a wise guy, but that literally is it.  Exactly what happened to cause her to fall the last 6 meters, only the people there will know the exact answer

Adventure travelers....just to say you've climbed rocks in foreign lands. I limit my adventure to taking pics of people climbing rocks and climbing on and off chairs at restaurants.

Oh...and let me guess...soon to be asking for money via a GoFundMe page ?

21 hours ago, WhyYouTalkMeBad said:

Travel Insurance would cover it? Seems a bit to high risk

The ones I had bought in the past could cover it, but you had to select "outdoor activities" or something like that and pay more for the extra insurance rider on the policy.  Same for motorcycles, jet skis, etc.  Policies have different wordings and exclusions, but coverage is definitely possible

Archived