Boy hero, 14, jumps in khlong to save driver in Cha-Am - but he's too late

webfact

Boy hero, 14, jumps in khlong to save driver - but he's too late

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thairath

CHA-AM: -- A 14 year old boy jumped in a khlong to save a driver trapped in an overturned pick up yesterday.

Watana Thiangtham was out with his dad in Cha-Am when they heard villagers calling for help, Thairath reported.

The M2 (Year 9) student at Hua Hin Waithayalai school made the decision to jump in the roadside khlong to try to rescue the stricken driver.

But it was too late - 53 year old Theera Sriphromma had already been in the water twenty minutes and had drowned.

Efforts from medics to revive him failed.

Police said the victim had failed to negotiate a bend in the road and had hit a signpost before ending up overturned in the khlong.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-06

Fair play to the young man for risking his life to save another.

Sadly the driver had already died as he had been under water for 20 minutes.

My only question is why were the villagers calling for help, rather than jumping in the water to actually give help themselves?

Had they done so, the man may well have been saved.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

My only question is why were the villagers calling for help, rather than jumping in the water to actually give help themselves?

Fair chance they were singing out and taking photos at the same time and others just looking on thats usually the scene here at an accident of any kind 

Fair chance they were singing out and taking photos at the same time and others just looking on thats usually the scene here at an accident of any kind 

Yes I can relate to that !.
The Thai's can't handle situation like an accident I'm afraid!,seen it too many times and a lack of compassion.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Kudos to this brave young boy for this truly unselfish act. And same to his parents as they should have had a part in his upbringing. He should get an award presented on nationwide TV during the middle of a soap opera for good coverage and a loud message to others. Impressive.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Who knows, perhaps they were infirm elderly people, of course the assumption from others is that they were not compassionate enough, even though they were calling for help, makes sense.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yer... it's a bit sad that it takes a kid to be the one to man up.

its refreshing to see a good story about today's youth... maybe there is hope yet.

Kudos to the boy if he in fact pulled the driver out of the car or got him out of the car...it says the driver drowned so means the boy went underwater and got the driver out? 

The article says that he just jumped in...intent and action are different....

very difficult to open a car door underwater or break glass and pull a body out of a submerge car...

need more details...just asking 

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Kudos to the boy if he in fact pulled the driver out of the car or got him out of the car...it says the driver drowned so means the boy went underwater and got the driver out? 

The article says that he just jumped in...intent and action are different....

very difficult to open a car door underwater or break glass and pull a body out of a submerge car...

need more details...just asking 

Not really sure what your saying here.

Yes, apparently the driver died.

that said... the boy had balls... intent is everything. He had intend... he acted... you can't praise that sort of selflessness enough. It's heroic.

that the driver died is almost besides the point, when considering the boys intent and actions, whilst others stood by, wringing their hands together, and asking (yelling) for help from someone else... from a boy

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

How many Thais do you know who can swim ?

18 hours ago, 007cableguy said:

Yes I can relate to that !.
The Thai's can't handle situation like an accident I'm afraid!,seen it too many times and a lack of compassion.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Don't forget that the brave boy in this story is Thai, so don't paint with too broad a brush.

I was always lead to believe the older you get the slower you drive. I am 59 and i think i drive slower This guy was 53 and he was probly speeding That is why he failed to take the bend and  ended up in the drink and drowned. But an incident happened yesterday and its starting to make me believe the older you get the faster you drive  A Thai guy in his 50s Riding a bike No Helmet going a great speed and on the phone while riding the bike. Maybe i should put my glasses back on. That was just imagination right?

But to the kid who tried to save the driver  You got guts and you are brave and can use your head   You will go a long way in this world Pity 70% of your country men cannot

14 hours ago, petertucker48 said:

Thais have saved my life 3 times in motor cycle accidents so in my opinion criticism is uncalled for from smart Ar*** thank you.

I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate...

14 hours ago, petertucker48 said:

Thais have saved my life 3 times in motor cycle accidents so in my opinion criticism is uncalled for from smart Ar*** thank you.

It might be suggested that you give up riding motorbikes ......   

well done ... the boy is a good ambassador for thais.

On 06/03/2017 at 3:05 PM, Shawn0000 said:

Who knows, perhaps they were infirm elderly people, of course the assumption from others is that they were not compassionate enough, even though they were calling for help, makes sense.

Careful, you're being a bit too rational, that will not go down well with TV members.

On 3/6/2017 at 4:48 PM, petertucker48 said:

Hello Peter,

may I ask you why you still ride a motorbike? I mean after 1-2 accidents... I see many people switching to a car, after an accident. I've been lucky so far on my bike and I'm very grateful for that too.

Archived