Phuket beach, ocean cleanup sees 1.2 tons of rubbish removed Koh Raha Noi

webfact

Phuket beach, ocean cleanup sees 1.2 tons of rubbish removed Koh Raha Noi

Eakkapop Thongtub

1488776989_1-org.jpg

A total of 1.2 tons of rubbish was cleared in the exercise. Photo: Department of Marine and Coastal Resources

PHUKET: -- A beach and ocean cleanup held by the Phuket Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) on Saturday saw 1.2 tons of rubbish removed from Koh Racha Noi south of Phuket.

Director of the Phuket DMCR’s Conservation Department Mr Suchart Rattanareangsri yesterday (Feb 5) announced that a total of 1.2 tons of rubbish were cleared from the ocean and beach of Koh Racha Noi on Saturday (Mar4), and event participated by Phuket Provincial Office of Natural Resources and Environment, students from Prince of Songkla University, Phuket Campus and Phuket Rajabhat University, local conservationists and volunteers from the local dive community.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-ocean-cleanup-sees-1-2-tons-of-rubbish-removed-koh-raha-noi-61266.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-03-06

I guess 5% of one beach is a start....

I wonder if massive PSA campaign and arm twists of soap operas to work shaming into plot for the near universal Thai disregard for picking up after self could make a dent.

I hope the rest of the comments here will be more positive than the ones above. In my experience Phuket is a relatively clean place. Of course according to western standards things could improve but if you think it's so bad here then go live on a random Indonesian island for a while and you'll come back to Phuket screaming. You won't find any beach there without piles of plastic.

What strikes me the most is that it's only Thai people in this picture. With all respect but again in Indonesia it's simply impossible to see only locals in any group of people doing beach cleanups, or even just cleanups in general. It's mostly tourists and expats there who seem to care. Indo's literally dump their shit wherever they please. I just don't see that behavior here.

I have a lot of respect for the Phuket community because they do seem to care about the environment.

40 minutes ago, AgentSmith said:

I have a lot of respect for the Phuket community because they do seem to care about the environment.

You better come to Phuket and have a look. :omfg:

I'm sure you will change your mind quick. 

But man how I wish I could agree with you, that would be a HAPPY day.

5 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Kudos to them, let us hope it is the beginning of more awareness..........sadly I feel it will fall on deaf ears and blind eyes......2.2 kgs of lighters !!!! wow !!

Lights action camera history books. 

1 hour ago, bokningar said:

You better come to Phuket and have a look. :omfg:

I'm sure you will change your mind quick. 

But man how I wish I could agree with you, that would be a HAPPY day.

I've been staying here for a month and a half now and I've toured the island several times. Seen all major beaches and a couple of smaller ones. Even a remote one in the north (just beautiful and not a single soul around) was completely plastic free. Here in Phuket Town people were cutting branches off a tree yesterday. The cleanup team followed right behind, geared with brooms and a trash container. And oh man, they use real garbage trucks here. Really, it's heaven here for me. :wink:

Archived