Problems with back-to-back Visa exempts?

Hey guys and girls,

I am in Thailand for a year to study at a university. I will leave Asia for home in September, until then I want to do some travelling and leave Thailand some times.

My current Visa situation:

• I have a German passport
  • entered with a single-entry Non-ED Visa in October 2016
  • extended my stay for 6 months, it ends mid-May
  • in December I left the country for 3 weeks, when leaving I bought a single re-entry permit to come back

My passport:

• 1 Russian tourist Visa (used)
  • 1 Thai single-entry Non-ED Visa (used)
  • 1 stay extension (my active stay)
  • 1 single re-entry permit (used)

I am thinking about saving the money of another stay extension (2,000 THB) and further re-entry permits (1,000THB each) by getting Visa exempts and flying in and out of the kingdom.

Between the entries I will be travelling for 1,2 or 3 weeks, so there won't be any same-day returns.

Should I expect any trouble trying to get 3 or maybe 4 Visa exempts in a row over 4 months?

Could I strand at the airport?

Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

Yes you can get stranded at the airport. In your case it is better to apply for a 60 day and make an extension on that one. That will give you guaranteed 3 month.
They seem to clamp down hard on many visa exempt now, even if it´s not made by land border.

You shouldn't have a problem based on your plan, but you should expect at some point to get questioned about what you are doing in Thailand. You might be told to get a visa for future entries rather than using the visa exempt scheme.

It is unlikely that you would be denied entry, but it is possible. Immigration would send you back to the country you'd travelled from unless you have a booked flight elsewhere, in which case they might let you use that ticket. You would be held by Immigration, or airline staff, until your flight out of the country.

It is always best to get a visa that is specific for the reason for your visit/stay.

I think for the short term the visa exempt entries would be OK. However, if you think you will be spending extended periods in Thailand in the future, I think it would be prudent to avoid a bunch of visa exempt entries now. Reserve the visa exempt entries for occasions when it is really tricky to get a tourist visa (or when your tourist visa application is rejected in, say, Singapore).

• Like 1