Video of building my modern style house in Sisaket

greatwhitenorth

Thanks for sharing, looks very nice.

I've been looking at very modern structures built with steel for my house.  

Like you see built around Bangkok to promote condo developments.   I watched this one beign put together and although it's only intended as a temporary structure I reckon its could easily be permanent.   

I really like the design of this one, and being steel you can have much large rooms without pillars.    

I'm thinking similar external design but larger with an open central area where the pool would be.   Perhaps with an electrically operate roof to cover it when the weather is bad.

IMG_20161203_134305.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's our video. 3 bed, 2 bath, and twice the cost. I still have things I want to add, but quite happy with the place. Not rich by any means, as I just built from payday to payday.
This is also in Sisaket, but south, near the border.

Another beautiful home, congratulations !!
And thank you for the insight into your venture.

Hope you will both be happy in your new home.

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

2 hours ago, Goanna said:

Here's our video. 3 bed, 2 bath, and twice the cost. I still have things I want to add, but quite happy with the place. Not rich by any means, as I just built from payday to payday.

This is also in Sisaket, but south, near the border.

Nice.   Not my style at all, but as long as you are happy that is all that matters.  

Looks pretty good, I'm not a great fan of modern styling as you would know if you followed my housebuilding saga  :)

But it looks like you've got a reasonable balance with not too much glass and plenty of planted shade.

Enjoy your home.

Good idea for the roof.

I wonder why most people keep building ugly classic roof that always leak in this country ?

This kind of roof is obviously a lot smarter and easier to build.

Thanks for sharing, looks very nice.

I've been looking at very modern structures built with steel for my house.  

Like you see built around Bangkok to promote condo developments.   I watched this one beign put together and although it's only intended as a temporary structure I reckon its could easily be permanent.   

I really like the design of this one, and being steel you can have much large rooms without pillars.    

I'm thinking similar external design but larger with an open central area where the pool would be.   Perhaps with an electrically operate roof to cover it when the weather is bad.

IMG_20161203_134305.thumb.jpg.0e814585217e759528a3a31847177fc2.jpg

If you get fed up with living there you can turn it into a 7/11.

[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

7 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

IMG_20161203_134305.jpg.81562902129ef865

I think this this type of structure would require the right location and planning for sun and heat mitigation...

and Greatwhitenorth... nice build!

Yes, the easiest way to minimise heat from the sun would be a secondary roof over the building, creating an air gap, cover the secondary roof in reflective material as well.   Fit some solar powered fans in the cavity to draw air through for additional cooling.

Well placed and chosen vegetation for shade and of course a nice high security wall. 

I'd like to try and build something that runs on solar, and wind power as much as possible.   

Quite like this idea for heating water 

6 hours ago, TGIR said:

Yes to all the positive comments.  A nicely designed starter house.  For about $36K U.S. that is a sweet deal.  

Congratulations and good luck making your dreams come true!

How did you get that number?

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

alot of houses I've been to turn into a skating rink when wet. As I found out when pissed one night!!! Ouch!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Could not agree more.  That high gloss tile is insanely dangerous especially near a kitchen or bath.  A few drops of water under your feet and next thing you know your skull is shattered.  I have narrowly escaped death on these tiles more time than I can count.

sfokevein  " Greatwhitenorth can you show us what type of plans you had drawn up to give to the builders?... were they detailed drawings?... was there a general contractor or did you direct all the work? "

we saw a drawing on Kapook.com of the house with the plans available for 20,000 baht. We made some changes to the floor plan adding a kitchen and enlarging the bedrooms and had it drawn up by an architect in Sisaket for 15,000. The blueprints and materials list was about 15 pages long and as detailed as one would get in Canada. My wife chose the finishes and  oversaw construction. The builder was always looking for a cheaper route but she stood her ground and wouln 't allow changes. I am not sure if the builder realized a profit but completed the house for the agreed price.  A good set of plans, in my opinion are the key, changes made during construction always cost an arm and a leg. Choosing the material yourself keeps the builder from substituting with a cheaper product. 

photo of what we liked on Kapook is attached

6.jpg

Quote: " It cost me about the same as a 2 car enclosed garage in Canada".

No wonder, that some posters are salivating at this thought. "My god, how cheap everything is in Thailand ".

BUT: By looking at the Video and the Pictures, I think the OP got good value for the money. As long as there are no "legal-issue" surfaceing in the future.

If that should be the case, an investement in a 2 car enclosed garage in Canada would in all likelihood have been a better investment.

Cheers.

8 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

sfokevein  " Greatwhitenorth can you show us what type of plans you had drawn up to give to the builders?... were they detailed drawings?... was there a general contractor or did you direct all the work? "

we saw a drawing on Kapook.com of the house with the plans available for 20,000 baht. We made some changes to the floor plan adding a kitchen and enlarging the bedrooms and had it drawn up by an architect in Sisaket for 15,000. The blueprints and materials list was about 15 pages long and as detailed as one would get in Canada. My wife chose the finishes and  oversaw construction. The builder was always looking for a cheaper route but she stood her ground and wouln 't allow changes. I am not sure if the builder realized a profit but completed the house for the agreed price.  A good set of plans, in my opinion are the key, changes made during construction always cost an arm and a leg. Choosing the material yourself keeps the builder from substituting with a cheaper product. 

photo of what we liked on Kapook is attached

6.jpg

That looks fantastic, Greatwhitenorth and I hope you and the missus are happy in your new life there.

My wife and I have an old house and we're thinking of reroofing. I couldn't see from the video,, so could you please tell me what roofing material you used. Ta.

Mr Greatwhitenorth and wife. You have a delightful home. You turned a piece of dirt into a beautiful home. Your garden is what a home should be. We love your window treatments...very nice. One needs a couple of western ideas thrown in like the range hood. I have recently installed one myself. Nice video and positive news. Congratulations and enjoy your home. All the best.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 07/03/2017 at 8:47 AM, greatwhitenorth said:

PeterW42 "  Looks great, can I ask the total cost ? (house, not the land) "

1 million baht 

Nice job... and for a fraction of the price of a 1 bedroom tiny box in Phuket or Pattaya.  Don't listen to the put downs, some people just cannot be civil even when it's warranted. Enjoy.

Nice house and more or less suitable price

We just finish this 188m2 house with 3br+2 toilets+Dining room+ok size living room and Master bedroom have walk in closet as well + very large outside kitchen 

Me and my Thai company owner(he is perfect in English as well) and will be in construction site every day

Basically what ever you want we can build as this house owner wanted to build special bedroom to they daughter as she is now 2yrs old and even daughter got full size Japanese toilet seat...lol

We do build anything from shops to houses and basically anything you want we can build with suitable cost and contract and all communication is in English with business owner at any time.

20170215_094121.jpg

20170215_101643.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/7/2017 at 2:36 PM, chudless said:

Not that modern, more Thai style with a few falang fittings. The kitchen is Thai style with an extractor fan.

Cost wise, if that is just build you were ripped off.

Envious? Jealous?

I would like to have a home like this one. Congratulations to the new house owner!

Archived