Video of building my modern style house in Sisaket

greatwhitenorth

I need to find a reasonable architect in the Khukan-Sisaket area who will do some alterations to one of these free Thai government plans. Can anyone please help me. I cannot go looking myself as i am living on Koh Samui. Thanks for any replies.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 07/03/2017 at 7:36 AM, chudless said:

Not that modern, more Thai style with a few falang fittings. The kitchen is Thai style with an extractor fan.

Cost wise, if that is just build you were ripped off.

what is wrong with people here? if you can't say something positive, constructive or pleasant then dont say anything.

it looks like a great house, if the quality is as good as it looks i'd pay 1 mb. you're buying a lifestyle, a quality of life, not an investment.

26 minutes ago, samsensam said:

what is wrong with people here? if you can't say something positive, constructive or pleasant then dont say anything.

it looks like a great house, if the quality is as good as it looks i'd pay 1 mb. you're buying a lifestyle, a quality of life, not an investment.

Hear Hear !

8 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

I need to find a reasonable architect in the Khukan-Sisaket area who will do some alterations to one of these free Thai government plans. Can anyone please help me. I cannot go looking myself as i am living on Koh Samui. Thanks for any replies.

You may not need an architect. Much depends upon how much "adjustment" is needed.

I did ours simply using Photoshop although we didn't make any changes to the actual structure apart from "borrowing" the roof from a teak factory near Ayutthaya. Our contractor made some changes based upon his experience (he was the one who went climbing in the factory roof to check steel sizes).

Building permit was granted against the original government plans, things are somewhat more relaxed, even in northern Bangkok where we built.

Thanks Crossy, but i think i will need an Architect as i want to raise the floor making 2 levels so that i can put more rooms underneath at  a later date, so the 'load bearing' aspect will come into it. Also i want to change the roof to make  it square , rather than have extension to accommodate car parking as shown in the original plan.

Just a matter of interest, I read somewhere in a post that roof rainwater could not be used for drinking.....WRONG !

In my Queensland home we drank roof water for over 30 years, ran it through filters which took out any bird shit etc.

We had a family of Kookaburras sit on our roof every afternoon for a 'laugh in' no problems as i had the water tested and found it to be perfect. Only ever had one problem, when an 8 ft snake got into the tank and drowned, so i pumped the lot out , cleaned it, and started again.

6 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Just a matter of interest, I read somewhere in a post that roof rainwater could not be used for drinking.....WRONG !

I do wonder where these people get these ideas from, where do they think the water they drink actually comes from?

Family use rainwater for drinking stored in several large earthenware pots (ongs I think they're called), nobody had died.

I heard while I was building, that the paint coating on the c-pac monier roof tiles becomes toxic after ten years or so. So I have 3 large ongs for dogs chickens, and emergency (no power) fed from roof, and all house water from a bore. 

Drinking water we buy, at 8 baht × 20 litre bottle, still cheaper than filtration/ osmosis.

On 2018-05-15 at 7:39 AM, Huckenfell said:

Had to change usernames because of an indiscreet comment made to another poster. I will get you the name of the architect , he charged me 12,500 baht and gave me a materials list as well.  As for the naysayers, I prefer not to be banned again, up to them. Not everyone wants to live 100m from a beer bar.

We took an easy route and talked to folks who just built new house. Was sold a detailed copy of plans for 5000bht. Found a guy to build for 400,000  labor only. We bought all materials. Each month we paid a set amount to cover workers and the boss. Job finished we paid off balance. The boss sub-contracted out the detailed work like ceilings, doors and windows. 

In 20 yrs from now, how the house was built will begin to show. The quality of the steel and rebar will begin to show. If the house was built with fre-fab posts and steel headers, the cracks will definitely start to show. 

On 5/19/2018 at 5:49 AM, sisaketsam said:

Had to change usernames because of an indiscreet comment made to another poster. I will get you the name of the architect , he charged me 12,500 baht and gave me a materials list as well.  As for the naysayers, I prefer not to be banned again, up to them. Not everyone wants to live 100m from a beer bar.

Thanks Sam, looking forward to your info.

I don't mind living a distance from the bars just as long as i can catch up with a farang now and again for a beer and a chin wag in English. We will be about 20 klm from Khukan on the Sisaket road.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:36 PM, chudless said:

Not that modern, more Thai style with a few falang fittings. The kitchen is Thai style with an extractor fan.

Cost wise, if that is just build you were ripped off.

Betting you either bought a condo or rent a 6K/month room in a guesthouse. In any case a clueless thing to say. I am a Certified Florida Contractor having built homes on three continents and bringing that in at US$ 28 per sq/ft is great work. You created equity from the jump which not too many can claim here. Employed the locals, made the wife happy, you did good man !

On ‎16‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, Huckenfell said:

In my Queensland home we drank roof water for over 30 years, ran it through filters which took out any bird shit etc.

We had a family of Kookaburras sit on our roof every afternoon for a 'laugh in' no problems as i had the water tested and found it to be perfect. Only ever had one problem, when an 8 ft snake got into the tank and drowned, so i pumped the lot out , cleaned it, and started again.

In the islands, Bahamas, Bermuda all the water was from the roof stored in cisterns.

Great that you have your dream home , sorry , I do not think this is modern , it still is just a Thai house to me .

I was a chef in Aus so I needed a big kitchen and I got one.

But , you are happy and that is the main thing , enjoy your house and make it into a home .Welcome to Thailand and if you ever travel to Chiang Rai call in......  Now start on the garden ...hehehe

001 (2).JPG

004 (3).JPG

002 (4).JPG

10 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

We took an easy route and talked to folks who just built new house. Was sold a detailed copy of plans for 5000bht. Found a guy to build for 400,000  labor only. We bought all materials. Each month we paid a set amount to cover workers and the boss. Job finished we paid off balance. The boss sub-contracted out the detailed work like ceilings, doors and windows. 

In 20 yrs from now, how the house was built will begin to show. The quality of the steel and rebar will begin to show. If the house was built with fre-fab posts and steel headers, the cracks will definitely start to show. 

The problem with cracks and rebar will have more to do with the cement mix and cover, especially with 4 inch beams and columns. Need to get the steel as far embedded as possible and have clean rock. 

That's crazy, I used to build houses cost-plus in Florida and my typical fee just to oversee was US$ 60K with cost averaging US$ 175-225 / sqft. Different everywhere you go, built a house in Costa Rica and had great workers. Built in Brazil a freaking nightmare like working the Flintstones with Fred and Barney. Showed them a chalk box and level and it was like they discovered fire. From the video looked like a decent crew but allot of beer bottles. Never said how long it took?

59 minutes ago, kevvy said:

Great that you have your dream home , sorry , I do not think this is modern , it still is just a Thai house to me .

I was a chef in Aus so I needed a big kitchen and I got one.

But , you are happy and that is the main thing , enjoy your house and make it into a home .Welcome to Thailand and if you ever travel to Chiang Rai call in......  Now start on the garden ...hehehe

001 (2).JPG

004 (3).JPG

002 (4).JPG

Yes indeed every Thai house I have seen looks exactly like this,:tongue:

Me thinks you need to get out of the Kitchen. 

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Yes indeed every Thai house I have seen looks exactly like this,:tongue:

Me thinks you need to get out of the Kitchen. 

Betting that kitchen in AU cost more than the mans entire house here

-cabinets               US$  12K

-stove                                4K

-refrig                                3K

-granite tops                   12K

-hood                                1,5K

-small appliances           1,5K

-dish washer                     ,5K

-fixtures                             1K

________

Very nice ! Went thru the McMansion stage in Florida. Nothing but stress, hurricanes, taxes and insurance. Had a bigger kitchen overlooking the Oldest City across the bay but could never enjoy it cause all I did was work and sleep. Now I know better, in a better place mentally. All that glitters ain't gold!

Hi SSam, Have you been able to find me that Name and address of your Architect in Sisaket yet ?

On 5/17/2018 at 12:15 PM, Goanna said:

I heard while I was building, that the paint coating on the c-pac monier roof tiles becomes toxic after ten years or so. So I have 3 large ongs for dogs chickens, and emergency (no power) fed from roof, and all house water from a bore. 

Drinking water we buy, at 8 baht × 20 litre bottle, still cheaper than filtration/ osmosis.

C'mon Goanna maaate!    Do you really think that they would be allowed to use them in Oz if these roof tiles turn toxic after 10 years. Some A'hole is having a lend of you.

19 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

C'mon Goanna maaate!    Do you really think that they would be allowed to use them in Oz if these roof tiles turn toxic after 10 years. Some A'hole is having a lend of you.

Not in Aus. This is Thailand mate. They make them here. Have you not heard of anything shonky around here? It would not surprize me at all. But it's only heresay all the same. 

l'll stick with bottled anyway. Leo bottled.

On 5/24/2018 at 10:21 AM, Goanna said:

Not in Aus. This is Thailand mate. They make them here. Have you not heard of anything shonky around here? It would not surprize me at all. But it's only heresay all the same. 

l'll stick with bottled anyway. Leo bottled.

Same company and tradename, so surely the same paint and mixture here.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:11 PM, Huckenfell said:

Same company and tradename, so surely the same paint and mixture here.

Probably is mate. It was only one Danish guy told me that, and I thought, well, it is Thailand. Never had anything to do with these tiles before.  But we use bore for household anyway, and drink bottled. Saved a bit on guttering. Haha. Cheers mate.

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2017 at 8:47 AM, greatwhitenorth said:

PeterW42 "  Looks great, can I ask the total cost ? (house, not the land) "

1 million baht 

Love to visit when i am next in the area, this is a lovely little house and cost so little to build. We are thinking of building about 10 klm out of Khukan on the Sisaket road. She owns land at a village called Lomsak, nothing much there, but that's ok, not so far from Sisaket.

On 5/29/2018 at 3:14 PM, Goanna said:

Probably is mate. It was only one Danish guy told me that, and I thought, well, it is Thailand. Never had anything to do with these tiles before.  But we use bore for household anyway, and drink bottled. Saved a bit on guttering. Haha. Cheers mate.

How far are you out of Sisaket Goanna, are you from Qld., we want to build just off the Khukan-Sisaket road after i get back from SE Qld  around Christmas.

21 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

How far are you out of Sisaket Goanna, are you from Qld., we want to build just off the Khukan-Sisaket road after i get back from SE Qld  around Christmas.

From Mount Isa. Our place is in Phu Sing. 30 km south of Khukhan. We travel through to Sisaket every few weeks. I go back to work for 2- maybe 3 mths sept/ october. Back around xmas for all next year. Give me a cooee when you are here mate. Cheers.

FB_IMG_1533565970249.jpg

Archived