Rottweiler attack: Civil case settled for 140,000 baht. Criminal case pending

webfact

Rottweiler attack: Civil case settled for 140,000 baht. Criminal case pending

4pm.jpg

Image: Thairath

BUENG KAN: -- The family of the Bueng Kan man mauled to death by three Rottweiler dogs has settled the civil case with the owner for 140,000 baht.

But second hand goods' trader Somchai Photirat, 44, will still likely face criminal prosecution for negligence after allowing his dogs out.

The dogs are back in their cages.

Fifty seven year old Somwang Thongtan was out catching rats in a field when he was attacked by the vicious animals. His body was found naked in a rubber tree plantation. He had been bitten from head to toe, reported Thai Rath.

Bung Karn province police chief Thiwa Bundamnern went to the local station to see the progress in the case that has made national news. He said that police were waiting on results of the autopsy before proceeding with the criminal case against the owner.

But both Somchai and the elder sister of the victim, Kan Waralun, 65, met and settled the civil liability case. The owner had paid an

immediate 40,000 for funeral expenses after the attack.

Kan called for a total of 150,000 baht which was bargained down by the owner to 140,000 baht. He paid the residue of the costs of 100,000 baht immediately.

Police said that the owner had accepted responsibility for the attack and had been helpful in the investigation.

Reporters who went to his property found the three dogs in separate cages with two meter high fences. The owner was in the process of building a further two meter high fence around his property that would be finished in four or five days, they said, so that there would be no repeat of the attack.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-07

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 007cableguy said:

And the dogs not put down?
I really can't head round how they deal stuff here it's mind numbing!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

My dog bit a young boy I said to my wife put dog down but she said cannot kill dog in Thailand. So now it is chained up all the time. 

The deceased sounds like he was poor and from peasant stock. (setting snares for field rats)

The owner of the dogs owns a scrap business, is probably ethnic Chinese and clearly has a few bob. (where there's muck, there's brass)

If the status of the two were reversed, I can assure you the outcome and police action or inaction would be very different.

Provided he now makes significant payment to the police, he will go nowhere near a prison cell now. The cops are singing his praises, he is posing confidently for the press and the deceased's family have been quickly paid off.

To understand Thailand better, understand that all are NOT equal before the law.

13 minutes ago, Godang said:

My dog bit a young boy I said to my wife put dog down but she said cannot kill dog in Thailand. So now it is chained up all the time. 

Not to be facetious but it always amazes me how couples with so different opinions can carry on a relationship. Maybe this is where the give and take comes in. Your wife states "cannot kill dog in Thailand" Is this one of those off the cuff comments? In the end the dog suffers by being chained up which might be worse than being put down. I always seem to glean one more particle daily of Amazing Thailand. 

Just now, elgordo38 said:

Not to be facetious but it always amazes me how couples with so different opinions can carry on a relationship. Maybe this is where the give and take comes in. Your wife states "cannot kill dog in Thailand" Is this one of those off the cuff comments? In the end the dog suffers by being chained up which might be worse than being put down. I always seem to glean one more particle daily of Amazing Thailand. 

A lot of VETs wont put down a dog, unless it is maybe suffering immensely. 

As that is not the case you might have trouble finding someone willing to do it (ir having to do it yourself).

But agreed; unprovoked attacking a human is end of story for the dog. Put it down immediately before it happens again. 

2 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

As that is not the case you might have trouble finding someone willing to do it (ir having to do it yourself).

But agreed; unprovoked attacking a human is end of story for the dog. Put it down immediately before it happens again. 

I live to learn every day thank you. 

42 minutes ago, Godang said:

that is one of the biggest mistake some dog owners do - chain or cage dogs full time. Chained/caged dogs are much more aggressive than dogs that can socialize with other dogs/people

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Bung Karn province police chief Thiwa Bundamnern went to the local station to see the progress in the case (NOW)that (IT) has made national news.

46 minutes ago, Godang said:

I was bit by an at large dog who was then chained up short. One night I went there and finished the job that should have been done the first time.

26 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

I listened and watched as our neighbors dog was finally caged after many years. Only to lay in mostly one place for weeks while they walked by the poor thing screaming and suffering until it finally died. Then what did they do. Threw the carcass in the Klong next to our Mooban.

Unfortunately many of the posters here are accurate when they say we will never get our heads around any of this .....and much more. Different strokes......................for different folks.

Only 140k inclusive of funeral expenses and the owner gets to keep the killer dog.  How cheap life is in the LOS!  They must be reading the same text books as North Korea just like Prayut's first education minister said.

Many Thai Rottweiller and Pit Bull owners with money will be encouraged to hunt peasants for fun at such a reasonable price. The Animal Protection Act would come down on them more heavily if they killed an animal. 

3 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Only 140k inclusive of funeral expenses and the owner gets to keep the killer dog.  How cheap life is in the LOS!  They must be reading the same text books as North Korea just like Prayut's first education minister said.

Many Thai Rottweiller and Pit Bull owners with money will be encouraged to hunt peasants for fun at such a reasonable price. The Animal Protection Act would come down on them more heavily if they killed an animal. 

Killer three dogs. Pack attack.

15000 baht bartered down to 140000 baht. That`s the value of a human life that can be negotiable.  The victim was probably torn to bits, I can`t imagine the horror he must have suffered. The dog owner got a bargain.

Dogs are not mean`t to be kept in cages and it`s no wonder they go mad. Why are these people not banned from keeping dogs for life?

45 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

The mother-in-law's dog was hit by a hit and run driver in a pick-up truck and crippled, so the poor thing had to drag its hind legs around. When I suggested euthanasia would be the kindest approach and perfectly normal where I come from, I was almost put into Coventry for suggesting such a horrible sacreligious thing.  The dog spent another 6 months chained up to prevent it from getting out into the road and run over again by another drunk. Then it just faded away and mercifully died aged only about 18 months. I could hardly bring myself to go to her house and see the poor animal chained up and shuffling about.  

It was not the first dog of hers hit by a villager in a pick-up truck.  After 6pm most of the men seem to be absolutely plastered.  The first dog was mercifully killed outright by the truck.

I have four Alsatians lovely dogs, however one never knows how they might react if provoked, and people broke in at night

Does anyone know if a general third party insurance can be bought in Thailand to cover damages the dogs might cause, it might be a good thing to have

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

The deceased sounds like he was poor and from peasant stock. (setting snares for field rats)

The owner of the dogs owns a scrap business, is probably ethnic Chinese and clearly has a few bob. (where there's muck, there's brass)

If the status of the two were reversed, I can assure you the outcome and police action or inaction would be very different.

Provided he now makes significant payment to the police, he will go nowhere near a prison cell now. The cops are singing his praises, he is posing confidently for the press and the deceased's family have been quickly paid off.

To understand Thailand better, understand that all are NOT equal before the law.

what law??

16 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

The mother-in-law's dog was hit by a hit and run driver in a pick-up truck and crippled, so the poor thing had to drag its hind legs around. When I suggested euthanasia would be the kindest approach and perfectly normal where I come from, I was almost put into Coventry for suggesting such a horrible sacreligious thing.  The dog spent another 6 months chained up to prevent it from getting out into the road and run over again by another drunk. Then it just faded away and mercifully died aged only about 18 months. I could hardly bring myself to go to her house and see the poor animal chained up and shuffling about.  

It was not the first dog of hers hit by a villager in a pick-up truck.  After 6pm most of the men seem to be absolutely plastered.  The first dog was mercifully killed outright by the truck.

So she learnt nothing  (like dogs  shouldnt run free)just  like the village idiots by me, never  learn never  will, dogs everywhere even got accused of running one over once, said the car that hit it was black, then white, then not a car blah blah blah

Round here theyve  taken to bringing their cows  home now at 7pm onwards in total blackness as I live out of the town, sheer  lunacy.

9 minutes ago, al007 said:

I have four Alsatians lovely dogs, however one never knows how they might react if provoked, and people broke in at night

Does anyone know if a general third party insurance can be bought in Thailand to cover damages the dogs might cause, it might be a good thing to have

If they attacked someone who broke into your house you would not need insurance as under section 433 if the victim of the dog attack is shown to have wrongfully provoked the dog the person responsible for the dog has the right of recourse.

4 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Quite the Racist statement - how could you possibly know ? Personal friend ? Relative ?

Look at the picture.

In NE Thailand, ethnic Chinese make up less than 10% of population. However I would wager the majority of scrap metal yard owners are ethnic Chinese. It is a cultural practice to own one's own business and scrap yard owner is a typical business. So I stand by my statement.

Racist! LOL. You do know you're in Thailand, don't you? :clap2:The whole place discriminates by race pervasively.

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

With respect I think you are missing the "Thai point" that "you cannot kill a dog in Thailand". This is not out of concern for the dog's welfare but for the bad luck that they perceive would befall to the owner. Thus they can keep the dog suffering on a short chain until it dies naturally. 

9 minutes ago, kennw said:

With respect I think you are missing the "Thai point" that "you cannot kill a dog in Thailand". This is not out of concern for the dog's welfare but for the bad luck that they perceive would befall to the owner. Thus they can keep the dog suffering on a short chain until it dies naturally. 

Yes, everything comes back to boon and baap.

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

I was bit by an at large dog who was then chained up short. One night I went there and finished the job that should have been done the first time.

Don't let them catch you.

Jail and 100,000 Baht for feeding fish in Thailand.

Archived