Rottweiler attack: Civil case settled for 140,000 baht. Criminal case pending

webfact

I found a 140k quite high for an equity payment considering the deceased. I have seen loss of limb and total life loss amounts much lower than that when a gov accident happens....

That's $4,000 out of pocket so his business must be doing okay....The average Thai doesn't have that discretionary amount of money w/o borrowing it....

Too many of you are trying to resolve the issue with a western solution....This is what we do in my country.... 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Look at the picture.

In NE Thailand, ethnic Chinese make up less than 10% of population. However I would wager the majority of scrap metal yard owners are ethnic Chinese. It is a cultural practice to own one's own business and scrap yard owner is a typical business. So I stand by my statement.

Racist! LOL. You do know you're in Thailand, don't you? :clap2:The whole place discriminates by race pervasively.

Aahh - that explains it. He LOOKS Chinese ...

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

The mother-in-law's dog was hit by a hit and run driver in a pick-up truck and crippled, so the poor thing had to drag its hind legs around. When I suggested euthanasia would be the kindest approach and perfectly normal where I come from, I was almost put into Coventry for suggesting such a horrible sacreligious thing.  The dog spent another 6 months chained up to prevent it from getting out into the road and run over again by another drunk. Then it just faded away and mercifully died aged only about 18 months. I could hardly bring myself to go to her house and see the poor animal chained up and shuffling about.  

It was not the first dog of hers hit by a villager in a pick-up truck.  After 6pm most of the men seem to be absolutely plastered.  The first dog was mercifully killed outright by the truck.

Yeh same sort thing with me . 50metres up the road from me a family with no land have 7 dogs who live on the road . have caused 3 fatalities and lots of crashes as she lives on a bend to the village and around the bend on approach to the village is a 2 km straight . Last on a 55 yr old woman hit one and crashed . she suffered severe head injuries but the family had no money so paid nothing .
The dog had a broken back so they dragged it to the side of the road where it just howled in pain . A couple of hours later i went up there with a hammer to kill it but thye would not let me . It howled in agony for a day and a half . This was not real evil as i first thought it was just they are genetically backward and cared as much for the dog as another animal would . I had cotton wool in my years the whole time . it was horrific

5 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Aahh - that explains it. He LOOKS Chinese ...

Clearly you can't read. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about something.

If you think ethnic Chinese business owners and Isaan rural peasants are treated in the same manner by the police, it shows you know jack about Thailand.

Go pick an argument over nothing with somebody else.

54 minutes ago, deepinlaos said:

its a shame the deceased wasn't out cutting trees down with a chainsaw when these animals appeared.

a different outcome would have occurred

Yes... then he would be the bad guy for harming the poor dogs.. and the owner of the dogs would call the police, the poor guy would end up in prison. 

Things are weird sometimes here.

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

I was bit by an at large dog who was then chained up short. One night I went there and finished the job that should have been done the first time.

So you killed a dog that was on a short chain ? What a coward you are . Ugly thing to do . It's on your karma now . May be the dog did not bite you without reason ...?

I have been bitten 3 times in 10 years living here.  Always by street dogs out in the country.

It's madness how the majority of the people here treat their dogs... or rather mistreat them.  They can't see cruelty and suffering and help the dogs out, but would rather see dogs suffering in pain for weeks before they have a slow torturous death. 

At the leas the street dogs have freedom... not like the poor dogs kept on short chains out in the elements and never being allowed off the chain their entire life, or those Thai people that seem to like buying expensive pedigree dogs and then keeping them locked in small cages like a goldfish in a bowl.

I don't blame the dogs that bit me... but I have no problem to defend myself from them and showing them I am boss.  I finally took a long bamboo cane a few time through the worst area.. and when the dogs got too close to me I gave a couple a hard smack on the head with it.. which sent them scarpering. 

Now they know to leave me well alone and show me some respect.  I don't have to take the cane with me now... simply seeing me most of the pack now give me a wide berth.  If one of 2 get too close, all I have to do is lift up one arm... then they run off.

31 minutes ago, sinbin said:

Thais/Buddhists are not allowed to kill an animal unless it's to eat it. Even the police can't order the dogs destruction.

Yeah right, no Thai/Buddhist ever kills a dog when they don't intend to eat it.

I cycle about twice a week around Phoenix Golf Course and have to use a stick to fend off dogs nipping my ankles. The dogs belong to people who live on the course who can't be bothered to close their gates. Just a few lazy tossers ruin things for everyone.

18 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I cycle about twice a week around Phoenix Golf Course and have to use a stick to fend off dogs nipping my ankles. The dogs belong to people who live on the course who can't be bothered to close their gates. Just a few lazy tossers ruin things for everyone.

I'm trying to design a system for this. Something like two cans of pepper spray mounted on the rear hub with remote release at hand grip. I ride at night quite often and some dogs attack so stealthily they can scare the gaga out of you. A lady was recently killed near our village when a dog attacked her and she swerved into an oncoming vehicle.

It's not just dogs that Thais won't put down. I went to a vet with a rabbit with dislocated legs (courtesy of my neighbour's 2 yr old). The vet would not put it down. Rather than have it slither like a snail the rest of its life, I had to take my own action. Buddhism was the key to it all. Like in India where cows with excruciating injuries and illnesses cannot be euthanised, needless suffering occurs to animals in Thailand because of the ridiculous prohibition of mercy killing. 

In Thailand the Royal decree of 2002 entered restrictions on dog breeds such as:
  • American Pitbull Terrier.
  • American Staffordshire Terrier.
  • Dogo Argentino.
  • English Bull Terrier.
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
  • Rottweiler.
  • Akita inu.
  • Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian Mastiff)

5 minutes ago, Spock said:

It's not just dogs that Thais won't put down. I went to a vet with a rabbit with dislocated legs (courtesy of my neighbour's 2 yr old). The vet would not put it down. Rather than have it slither like a snail the rest of its life, I had to take my own action. Buddhism was the key to it all. Like in India where cows with excruciating injuries and illnesses cannot be euthanised, needless suffering occurs to animals in Thailand because of the ridiculous prohibition of mercy killing. 

Dislocation of rabbits legs is actually quite common and they will generally heal after some time.

14 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Dislocation of rabbits legs is actually quite common and they will generally heal after some time.

If so, then the vet should have reset them. As it was, the legs were extended horizontally out back of the body. There was no way the legs would have healed naturally or whatever you are suggesting. 

10 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Bitting and killing dogs need to put to death..why he let his killer dogs roam the streets?

Because he is irresponsible and careless. And what a horrible way for the guy to die - mauled to death by savage dogs.

Just now, Spock said:

If so, then the vet should have reset them. As it was, the legs were horizontal out back to the body. There was no way the legs would have healed naturally or whatever you are suggesting. 

What makes you think there is no way it would have healed naturally?  They don't reset them, they just leave them to heal, the rabbit has to lie down for some weeks, they need a lot of care but unless there is spinal damage they should heal fine.

Put the ignored, abused, angry, vicious animals to sleep.

Keep those animals caged, they'll just get more angry and one day turn on the owner, his friends or family.

It would be safer to have a loaded gun on the kitchen room table. Especially, around feeding time.

4 hours ago, Godang said:

My dog bit a young boy I said to my wife put dog down but she said cannot kill dog in Thailand. So now it is chained up all the time. 

Being chained for life will really make him a good dog? I was almost attacked last night by 4 dogs that came out out of a garage while I was riding my bicycle while the owners did nothing to help me luckily I got my bike between me and the dogs around 9:00pm. 

45 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Bitting and killing dogs need to put to death..why he let his killer dogs roam the streets?

Spock's answer is correct.

I would also add many Thais that keep dogs, particularly large dogs, in cages or back yards, let them loose once a day to have a dump. That way the owner does not have to clean up. It also gives the dogs some exercise without the owner having to make any effort. They come back to base eventually.

Considering this pack of 3 Rottweilers had a reputation for attacking cattle and chickens on these daily jaunts, it was extremely negligent of the owner to continue with this practice.

A wholly unnecessary and horrible death. The owner should receive a prison sentence. Unfortunately it is virtually guaranteed he will not.

Archived