Rottweiler attack: Civil case settled for 140,000 baht. Criminal case pending

webfact

58 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

What makes you think there is no way it would have healed naturally?  They don't reset them, they just leave them to heal, the rabbit has to lie down for some weeks, they need a lot of care but unless there is spinal damage they should heal fine.

The vet told me that the rabbit would slither on its stomach the rest of its life and that I should endeavour to keep the undercarriage clean. Unfortunately you were not there at the time to contradict her and tell me the rabbit's legs would eventually shift forward and it would hop again. Rabbits are meant to hop not slither like snakes. My eyes and the professional advice given informed my opinion at the time.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

The dogs killed a guy and bargained the settlement down by THB 10k? Guy is dead and the dogs are still around ...

Pretty much summarises Policing and Thai law.

As you have stated it is Thailand & it's the way things are done here,

I often laugh at the "Where I come from quotes"
well you ain't where you come from you're where you are now & it ain't home!!

Money from the guilty paid to the victim often eases the tensions, he might get prosecuted, he might get another fine or even a suspended sentence, but he's done his duty as far as Thais are concerned, the victims family are happy, end of story!

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The deceased sounds like he was poor and from peasant stock. (setting snares for field rats)

The owner of the dogs owns a scrap business, is probably ethnic Chinese and clearly has a few bob. (where there's muck, there's brass)

If the status of the two were reversed, I can assure you the outcome and police action or inaction would be very different.

Provided he now makes significant payment to the police, he will go nowhere near a prison cell now. The cops are singing his praises, he is posing confidently for the press and the deceased's family have been quickly paid off.

To understand Thailand better, understand that all are NOT equal before the law.

All very true. And whatever one thinks of Thaksin, given this reality, one can understand why the poor of this country rallied to the Red Shirt movement. They understandably believed that it might end this sort of inequality.

I know it because it has happende already ,  when a dog kills a human in France , the dog is euthanized, so 3 three dogs, its worse !  ; why they are still here ? They killed one time, they can do it again

7 hours ago, 007cableguy said:

And the dogs not put down?
I really can't head round how they deal stuff here it's mind numbing!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Did anyone actually see what these bastard dogs did to the guy? There was an extremely graphic photo in Thai Rath, absolutely unbelievable. He must have died an horrific death 140K seems like pissing on his coffin.

1 hour ago, Kabula said:

Put the ignored, abused, angry, vicious animals to sleep.

Keep those animals caged, they'll just get more angry and one day turn on the owner, his friends or family.

It would be safer to have a loaded gun on the kitchen room table. Especially, around feeding time.

First put the idiot owner to  "SLEEP"  - I love that phrase.....to sleep....can people not just come out with it and say "<deleted>#King Kill em"? 

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

"If", such a small word, yet so powerful.

The jury still out but you've already made up your mind, from a newspaper report, as to what happened fully. I'm not saying you're wrong but just slightly premature. Wait for the autopsy.

2 minutes ago, sinbin said:

The jury still out but you've already made up your mind, from a newspaper report, as to what happened fully. I'm not saying you're wrong but just slightly premature. Wait for the autopsy.

Autopsy?

The guy has already paid out to the family of the man his dogs killed. If that's not an admission of guilt, then please tell me what is?

What is the jury out on? {Not that they have them here}

The dogs are dangerous, they have killed.

Put them down.

9 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

What is the jury out on? {Not that they have them here}

Until the autopsy has been done  the full story isn't known. Please read the reports. It will tell you the autopsy hasn't been undertaken. Until that's done we'll never know if the dogs chewed him before he died or after. And that they were the actual cause of death.

7 minutes ago, sinbin said:

Until the autopsy has been done  the full story isn't known. Please read the reports. It will tell you the autopsy hasn't been undertaken.

I've read it.

I can see clearly what happened.

Edit: From the OP:

''Police said that the owner had accepted responsibility for the attack and had been helpful in the investigation.''  

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The deceased sounds like he was poor and from peasant stock. (setting snares for field rats)

The owner of the dogs owns a scrap business, is probably ethnic Chinese and clearly has a few bob. (where there's muck, there's brass)

If the status of the two were reversed, I can assure you the outcome and police action or inaction would be very different.

Provided he now makes significant payment to the police, he will go nowhere near a prison cell now. The cops are singing his praises, he is posing confidently for the press and the deceased's family have been quickly paid off.

To understand Thailand better, understand that all are NOT equal before the law.

would be interesting to understand what is the status of a western white male foreigner before the law...hope for a profound answer  because soon i am going to stay/ live there for long time / for all times...

6 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Not to be facetious but it always amazes me how couples with so different opinions can carry on a relationship. Maybe this is where the give and take comes in. Your wife states "cannot kill dog in Thailand" Is this one of those off the cuff comments? In the end the dog suffers by being chained up which might be worse than being put down. I always seem to glean one more particle daily of Amazing Thailand. 

What he means (I believe) is that vets in Thailand don't put animals down. Not even euthanasia is practiced and I know it quite well for personal experience. So, if you want to put your animal down do not count on vets. Of course, if you've got the balls of killing it yourself and you know it's the right thing to do, go for it!

Regardless of what we think really justice and payouts. It's what happens here it is an acceptable part of Thai culture. Maybe not acceptable to Western culture agreed but we ain't in the west. So no point in moaning and saying it's wrong. Just accept it for what it is.

3 minutes ago, sinbin said:

The autopsy report. You claim to have read it post ID 76.

I did no such thing.

You referred to the reports in your post.

As in news reports.

That is what I said I have read.

In particular the line where the owner admits his dogs killed the victim.

"Police said that the owner had accepted responsibility for the attack and had been helpful in the investigation."

police were waiting on results of the autopsy before proceeding with the criminal case against the owner.

Police said that the owner had accepted responsibility for the attack and had been helpful in the investigation.

Would you believe a policeman here? Nah, I'll wait for the autopsy.

8 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

The fine should be 10 times that.  I'm a huge dog lover.  If you can't train your animals and/or control them, you shouldn't have them.

That wasn't a fine. That was an agreed settlement in a civil case. 140k for a death? That's absurdly low and he bargained it down from 150k.

7 hours ago, Godang said:

My dog bit a young boy I said to my wife put dog down but she said cannot kill dog in Thailand. So now it is chained up all the time. 

Why didn't you do it? It's your dog, why ask your wife to do it for you?

I  find it unbelievable  that these dogs have  not  mandatorily  been  put down as uncontrolled  proven human killers  in a location  well outside of their owners  territory.

I know  of several  cases where the local police  have  destroyed dogs  that have  merely  bitten children without provocation !

I hope the  criminal case has  an outcome that provides  a more secure and permanent  protection that the  best  efforts   of a  previously negligent owner.

1 hour ago, sinbin said:

Until the autopsy has been done  the full story isn't known. Please read the reports. It will tell you the autopsy hasn't been undertaken. Until that's done we'll never know if the dogs chewed him before he died or after. And that they were the actual cause of death.

The article says one of the killer dogs had a stabwound and the dead guy had a knife laying besides him...since dead people can not stab it obvious what happened and there will not been any authopsy...

4 hours ago, stubuzz said:
In Thailand the Royal decree of 2002 entered restrictions on dog breeds such as:
  • American Pitbull Terrier.
  • American Staffordshire Terrier.
  • Dogo Argentino.
  • English Bull Terrier.
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
  • Rottweiler.
  • Akita inu.
  • Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian Mastiff)

What does that mean, what is the restriction? 

2 hours ago, Formaleins said:

First put the idiot owner to  "SLEEP"  - I love that phrase.....to sleep....can people not just come out with it and say "<deleted>#King Kill em"? 

Brilliant, so you recommend murdering the owner.  Or as you say, kill, the owner.

Some would allege you are evil. 

Archived