Rottweiler attack: Civil case settled for 140,000 baht. Criminal case pending

webfact

6 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

The mother-in-law's dog was hit by a hit and run driver in a pick-up truck and crippled, so the poor thing had to drag its hind legs around. When I suggested euthanasia would be the kindest approach and perfectly normal where I come from, I was almost put into Coventry for suggesting such a horrible sacreligious thing.  The dog spent another 6 months chained up to prevent it from getting out into the road and run over again by another drunk. Then it just faded away and mercifully died aged only about 18 months. I could hardly bring myself to go to her house and see the poor animal chained up and shuffling about.  

It was not the first dog of hers hit by a villager in a pick-up truck.  After 6pm most of the men seem to be absolutely plastered.  The first dog was mercifully killed outright by the truck.

Thanks for sharing. Its a bewildering side of thinking. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, free123 said:

would be interesting to understand what is the status of a western white male foreigner before the law...hope for a profound answer  because soon i am going to stay/ live there for long time / for all times...

Above peasants except on a peasant's home patch but definitely at a disadvantage to most middle class Thais as no connections, specifically connections to the public sector networks.

Of course "western white male foreigner" spans a ridiculously wide range of types.

Best avoid conflicts if possible. Not possible if 3 Rottweilers attack you in a field.

6 hours ago, deepinlaos said:

its a shame the deceased wasn't out cutting trees down with a chainsaw when these animals appeared.

a different outcome would have occurred

Yes for sure

Dinner for somebody if he had decapitated the dogs and then buried them 

7 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

A lot of VETs wont put down a dog, unless it is maybe suffering immensely. 

As that is not the case you might have trouble finding someone willing to do it (ir having to do it yourself).

But agreed; unprovoked attacking a human is end of story for the dog. Put it down immediately before it happens again. 

I guess euthanasia is a few 1000 years away. Could explain the jumpers.

11 hours ago, 007cableguy said:

And the dogs not put down?
I really can't head round how they deal stuff here it's mind numbing!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I agree!

These dog have already tasted human blood and they are killers. What is more that if they did get out on the lose again, like somebody forgetting to close the gate, they would kill again. If given the chance. I  love Dogs to, but there is no way that they shouldn't be put down after what they did!

If a Human did this to another Human you would give him the Death Penalty of at least lock him up for a very long time. But because they are Dogs, you give them back to the Master and hope he finishes his fence, or can manage to keep them locked up next time. That makes no Common Sense at all.

Again I am late to this particular thread, and I'm close to bedtime, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned but as far as I am aware, the majority of Thai vets will refuse to put down any animal, I have a friend with a bar, he has a large frontage onto a quite busy road, the stupid dogs like to chase cars and bikes, you would not believe how many get hit, he used to take them to the vet but not anymore, the vets will keep the animals in (at a charge) administer drugs (at a charge) and generally take care of them (at a charge) until they are either fit enough to leave or they die.

He soon stopped that I can assure you. 

A bit off the subject but for me, important. I often walked up Theprassit road just after the lights at Foodland junction, and every time I wondered what the awful smell was coming from a shuttered shop house/ Warehouse. One evening the shutters were open so I looked in. There were dogs in cages, lots of them. They didn't look like guard dog types either. God knows what was happening there, it gave me the creeps. Poor animals. 

52 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Again I am late to this particular thread, and I'm close to bedtime, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned but as far as I am aware, the majority of Thai vets will refuse to put down any animal, I have a friend with a bar, he has a large frontage onto a quite busy road, the stupid dogs like to chase cars and bikes, you would not believe how many get hit, he used to take them to the vet but not anymore, the vets will keep the animals in (at a charge) administer drugs (at a charge) and generally take care of them (at a charge) until they are either fit enough to leave or they die.

In every country the court would rule to kill the dogs immediately  and jail the owner no matter how much money he has paid.imagine your self or your family members was walking there outside.Why the owner did not kill his dogs Yet?

15 hours ago, sinbin said:

Thais/Buddhists are not allowed to kill an animal unless it's to eat it. Even the police can't order the dogs destruction.

Yet Thailand sells and uses plenty of mosquito spray, cockroach traps and pesticides. Are these NOT animals?

14 hours ago, stubuzz said:
In Thailand the Royal decree of 2002 entered restrictions on dog breeds such as:
  • American Pitbull Terrier.
  • American Staffordshire Terrier.
  • Dogo Argentino.
  • English Bull Terrier.
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
  • Rottweiler.
  • Akita inu.
  • Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian Mastiff)

First I heard of this. What are the restrictions imposed. Please clarify more.

17 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Quite the Racist statement - how could you possibly know ? Personal friend ? Relative ?

Somchai Photirat is a Thai name, is it not? Thai names are unique amongst other Asian cultures, and easily recognizable, even to a farang like myself. So he's racist and a complete idiot as well. 

15 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Spock's answer is correct.

I would also add many Thais that keep dogs, particularly large dogs, in cages or back yards, let them loose once a day to have a dump. That way the owner does not have to clean up. It also gives the dogs some exercise without the owner having to make any effort. They come back to base eventually.

Considering this pack of 3 Rottweilers had a reputation for attacking cattle and chickens on these daily jaunts, it was extremely negligent of the owner to continue with this practice.

A wholly unnecessary and horrible death. The owner should receive a prison sentence. Unfortunately it is virtually guaranteed he will not.

Owners need to be held responsible FOR THEIR DOG'S!...

You must also have warning signs, written in Thai, together with a drawing of an aggressive dog, advising anyone coming to your property that your dog will bite if they enter the premises unaccompanied.  The only problem is that many who come to my home either can't read, don't read or just don't understand, I don't know which, resulting in three people being bitten.

I paid for their tetanus injections at the local hospital and the necessary follow ups.  No police action and no other compensation.  They were lucky that I was home at the time otherwise it might have been more serious as he is quite a large German Shepherd who won't back down.  It is unbelievable the amount that they placed on a life but then here it depends on your position, working or not working and what, if any income you have, plus any number of other mitigating circumstances.

It is now known throughout the village and no one enters the property unless we are accompanying the dog. The person who owns the Rottweilers is someone who should never be allowed to own any type of dog, kept in cages, no wonder they attacked and mauled someone given they were probably overly aggressive owing to that type of confinement.  He must have known their temperament yet allowed them to roam unaccompanied. :wai:

23 hours ago, 007cableguy said:

And the dogs not put down?
I really can't head round how they deal stuff here it's mind numbing!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The dogs should be destroyed, they will harm someone again 100% as they have learnt this bad behaviour now.

Mind numbing YES, anyone know Thai law regarding putting down vicious dogs ??

If there was a law then it could be bypassed by brown envelope syndrome.

11 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Can sympathize  with  that. Once took a male dog to a  vet that had been hit by a  motorbike and learned  that  after 3  days was still unable to  move its back legs. Naively expected to have the  Vet  confirm it had a  major  spinal injury but he instead  suggested it was  suffering only  spinal  shock. He did  agree with  my opinion that if  it indeed  had a broken back it would  be kinder to euthenize but insisted on his  diagnosis. To this  day this  dog  has learned to  drag itself  about with   infected abrasions on various points that go to the bone!

It  is not  my dog but if I had the opportunity I would put an end  to its  misery myself. But the  owner  seems  quite content that it still lives happily despite it defecating  and peeing on itself and  regularly being the  victim of  attack  by other dogs.

Yet I am sure that if it was  human relative tolerance  for  the same outcome would  more likely  result in an alternative mindset.

17 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

The dogs should be destroyed, they will harm someone again 100% as they have learnt this bad behaviour now.

Mind numbing YES, anyone know Thai law regarding putting down vicious dogs ??

If there was a law then it could be bypassed by brown envelope syndrome.

I  know of  several incidence where the  Police  have  destroyed a  biting  dog. Whether  or  not  with the  "owners" approval  I  do not  know. In all occasions there was  also compensation  paid  for the  cost  of  hospital treatment  and the course of  rabies vaccinations.

The law ? Probably based on  proven and/or admitted liability in proportion to financial outcome.

Would be interesting to know if  in this  Criminal  case  the  Courts  can order greater  compensation than  what amounts  to  funeral  costs as well  as the  destruction  of dogs  that are  already deemed disallowed to be in Thailand.

23 hours ago, Godang said:

My dog bit a young boy I said to my wife put dog down but she said cannot kill dog in Thailand. So now it is chained up all the time. 

NOT TRUE

My child was attacked by a vicious dog a few years ago.
The dog jumped over the fence to attack my child when we were riding on the bike.
I brought my child to the hospital and let them clean the wound, give her an anti-Tetanus injection and check for rabbies.
Before going back home, I passed the local Police office to file an official complaint.
The Police officer wrote everything down and accompagnied me home to show him which dog made that attack.
As the dog climbed again over the fence to attack the Police officer this time, he pulled his pistol and killed the dog with one shot.

The owner of the dog was offered to settle the hospital bill with me and the "bullet bill" with the Police.
He still lives in my street and never had a dog again.

Really stupid country. They have laws which protect animals from humans but no laws that protect humans from animals.

Thailand introduced its first animal welfare law in 2014. The Cruelty Prevention and Welfare of Animal Act, B.E. 2557 (2014) came into being on 27 December 2014.

Animals protected by the law are defined as those "raised as pets, as animals for work, as beasts of burden, as friends, as livestock, as performing show animals, or for any other purpose, no matter with or without owners". Owners of animals are now required by law to "raise, nurture and keep the animals in appropriate conditions with good health and sanitation and with sufficient food and water". Within the act, the term "owner" is deemed to cover all family members, domestic help, and any friends assigned to take care of a pet.

Menus with live vertebrate are now illegal in Thailand. Trading in and consuming dog and cat meat is now illegal in Thailand under the 2014 Act. Feeding live prey to snakes, crocodiles or other animals is also prohibited.

It prohibits neglect, torture, and uncaring transport of live animals. Neglect includes improper housing and transportation of animals, which can lead to injury and death. An offense is punishable by law, which may impose a two year-term in prison, and a fine of up to 40,000 baht(US$1,663), or both.

Pet owners who dump unwanted dogs and cats at temples can now be charged with abandoning and endangering the animal. People are instead encouraged take injured or unwanted animals to animal welfare organisations and associations who will raise the funds required or contact the authorities to manage the problem.

On 07/03/2017 at 8:31 AM, Shawn0000 said:

If they attacked someone who broke into your house you would not need insurance as under section 433 if the victim of the dog attack is shown to have wrongfully provoked the dog the person responsible for the dog has the right of recourse.

Quite right too.

53 minutes ago, robin hood said:

Quite right too.

But the  big  question is "what are the  human rights when being attacked  by uncontrolled  dogs in the public domain? "

I think most rational people  can accept that  a burglar inside private  property foregoes legal consideration other than when dogs are deliberately set on them. Even in Thailand it is unlawful to set  dangerous protective devices inside a private property even  with  warning signs despite the appeal that might have. Can only wonder if guard dogs come under such a  law.

I asked the Thai Visa lawyer the question when I got taken out by a few dogs whilst out cycling. He basically said there's nothing that could/can be done, as there were no laws in place to protect people in the event of being attacked by animals.

It doesnt seem right the poor man is dead and the dogs live. But we are in Thailand and have to respect their laws, despite what we may think. personally I think the dogs should be put down, and the owner banned from keeping dogs for life and a healthy prison sentence,  job done next case,  AHHHHH  the Ugandan  sex workers that dont want to work LOL

4 hours ago, robin hood said:

It doesnt seem right the poor man is dead and the dogs live. But we are in Thailand and have to respect their laws, despite what we may think. personally I think the dogs should be put down, and the owner banned from keeping dogs for life and a healthy prison sentence,  job done next case,  AHHHHH  the Ugandan  sex workers that dont want to work LOL

There is no proof the dogs killed him. An autopsy hasn't been carried out. Okay they found a body bearing dog teeth marks but it hasn't been confirmed they were inflicted before or after death. Or the bites were the cause of death.

Archived