Add dangerous lifts to Pattaya hazards - ten injured as hotel elevator plunges

webfact

8 hours ago, Basil B said:

Assuming the cables did not snap...

And if the load was less than it's  maximum it would go up not down...

The lift should have emergency breaks fitted to the lift car that kick in if it drops too fast, my guess is these were worn and did not work too well, else everyone in that lift car would be dead. 

If less than half the maximum people load it will go up. Above half to maximum and above the lift car will be heavier than the counter balance.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, swoods58 said:

Just before it stops. Seems obvious to me!

I didn't know lifts had windows. How on earth would you know when it was about to stop?!

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Public safety standards here are abysmal. Same with traffic safety.

It's not a nanny state, no. That's both good and bad.

It is almost as if the government is saying unless you are wealthy, connected, or in power, you do not have the right to be safe in your own land. 

Huh? Private hotel, private elevator company, and the gov't does have safety standards that apply equally, so that says something. The affected were "provincial officials," which sounds like connected, some power, and above average incomes, probably. Nice plug for class warfare but you should rest assured that elevators don't discriminate on such bases. Neither do airplanes, even if owned and maintained in nanny states, when it comes to crashes--yet airline maintenance is heavily regulated. Google around; you can find elevator accidents most everywhere. Is maintenance worse in LOS than in, say, the UK? Generally, yep. But we knew that.

On 3/8/2017 at 8:53 AM, fruitman said:

Strange they didn't mention the name of the hotel, what about tourists who have a booked room there for a holiday in Thailand?

Now they will cancel it, no matter which hotel it was.

Just only consider hotels on Booking or Agoda with a rating of 8 or higher and it won't be in that list. I promise.

13 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Your body is still descending at the same rate, regardless of whether you jump.

Probably the best stance is flat on your back - and take off clothing to cushion your head and neck, if possible.

If you take off your clothing in a lift, then claim it was falling when arrested, well what can we say? Common sense dictates you won't have time to think of that solution, do it, and survive all within a few seconds. Finding a lift full of naked men with my daughter won't be funny and I won't want to hear about how the lift was falling. Just say your prayers on the way down and call it a bad day mate. OO and God Bless all of you.

On 08/03/2017 at 8:52 AM, Estrada said:

If you read the numerous complaints by customers over the last 5 years on Trip Advisor, you would realize that this hotel has a terrible reputation for maintenance, cleanliness and couldn't care less staff. Having been involved in lift maintenance I can tell you that there is no way that a well maintained lift could have plunged seven floors without the emergency brake flying out and arresting its descent.

coz if it did plunge 7 floors all would be dead or not far off it for sure 

On 08/03/2017 at 9:01 AM, Blackheart1916 said:

Hotel tips for everywhere: Check in, lowest floor possible, then walk the stairs to your room to know your escape route. Try not to use the lift, the exercise won't kill you. Oh, and stay away from the balcony rail.

For sure , ground floor if possible negates the balcony and lift hazards .  I have been known to sleepwalk on rare occasions and for this reason I lock the balcony door and place furniture in front of it . Thought about tying string to my leg to put me out of range of the door but then realised I would not be able to make it to the toilet :laugh: .  Leo has a lot to answer for . 

1 hour ago, superal said:

For sure , ground floor if possible negates the balcony and lift hazards .  I have been known to sleepwalk on rare occasions and for this reason I lock the balcony door and place furniture in front of it . Thought about tying string to my leg to put me out of range of the door but then realised I would not be able to make it to the toilet :laugh: .  Leo has a lot to answer for . 

Apparently, James Bond prefers the 3rd Floor of any hotel ...

3 minutes ago, JIMHILL said:

What happened to Mr Otis and his automatic emergency braking system ?

Could that be why it stopped at 1st not ground floor?

Now all we need is the "fortune teller" to say what happened.

23 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Could that be why it stopped at 1st not ground floor?

Now all we need is the "fortune teller" to say what happened.

Ground floor, Floor 1, Floor 0, Lobby; anybody's guess!

On 3/8/2017 at 8:52 AM, Estrada said:

If you read the numerous complaints by customers over the last 5 years on Trip Advisor, you would realize that this hotel has a terrible reputation for maintenance, cleanliness and couldn't care less staff. Having been involved in lift maintenance I can tell you that there is no way that a well maintained lift could have plunged seven floors without the emergency brake flying out and arresting its descent.

Which hotel was it?

They survived so it was not a free fall , the emergency brakes must have worked , or else they would have been dead now.    I remember in Egypt many years ago several people died,  the lift went down and hit the ground.  

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:02 AM, DoctorG said:

The theory is that you jump up and down, therefore giving you a 50% chance of being in the air upon impact. That is the theory anyway. :shock1:

If you are going down at a rate of knots it is impossible to jump. But I'm sure Einstein will be alone soon to tell me I must of dreamed it.

On 3/8/2017 at 8:52 AM, Estrada said:

If you read the numerous complaints by customers over the last 5 years on Trip Advisor, you would realize that this hotel has a terrible reputation for maintenance, cleanliness and couldn't care less staff. 

Just walked past it last evening. The lighted sign a top the hotel has several sections blacked out due to dead bulbs - advertising  the fact that they are very lax on maintenance. 

On 3/9/2017 at 4:49 PM, JIMHILL said:

What happened to Mr Otis and his automatic emergency braking system ?

I would suggest it has nothing to do with Mr Otis but more to do with local elevator agents and maintenance people?

Archived