Add dangerous lifts to Pattaya hazards - ten injured as hotel elevator plunges

webfact

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Colabamumbai said:

Were they attending a building safety seminar?

Exactly - a bit like the fire drills in my condo block when the safety inspectors and trainers use the elevator during a training run.

2 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Hotel tips for everywhere: Check in, lowest floor possible, then walk the stairs to your room to know your escape route. Try not to use the lift, the exercise won't kill you. Oh, and stay away from the balcony rail.

And sleep under the bed and avoid the restaurant food.

.....still you have to enjoy yourself sometimes don't you?

There has to be something wrong with this story - 9 people plunge 6 floors in a lift and only 1 is seriously injured? How many out of the 9 would have survived if they had jumped the same height - I doubt any at all.

They face prosecution for negligence but can only be fined 10,000 baht.

Yes, yes the law... When the law makers determined the fine for negligence, they googled the word - and found it was French and its root was: negligee. So, the aha!-moment happened and the appropriate fine for working in a negligee was determined. All very thai-forward. :tongue:

1 minute ago, eddie61 said:

Its sad, but at least they weren't people who were productive.

You know the victims personally.......imagine if they were your family/friends and somebody made a comment like that :angry:

Hope the injured make a full recovery

The jumping up and down thing is pure silliness.  A physics expert could explain it better than I, but it makes about as much sense as lessening Bkk's flooded river by tethering little boats to bridges and running their engines.  Last time I checked, laws of physics apply to Thailand as much as to anywhere else, .....unless you listen to science-bereft people who tell you to jump up and down in a falling elevator.   

16 minutes ago, Card said:

And sleep under the bed and avoid the restaurant food.

.....still you have to enjoy yourself sometimes don't you?

Come on mate, you are taking it a bit too far eh? It is a good to have some idea where to go if a fire starts. Can't always count on the new gf to hang around to lead you out, coupla thousand baht only goes so far.....

It seems pretty common in Thailand to not bother being legal as the possible fines are lower than the cost of becoming legal.

10,000 baht is a joke. People getting fined double that for just possessing an E-cigarette in Pattaya.

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

No need to add it to my list. It's already on there. And no reason to just add to Pattaya list, better would be Thailand list. Maintaining lifts properly is not cheap (I know, I know, a drop is more expensive to fix, but planning ahead not strong suit). Run systems until they fail seems to be rule of thumb.  10,000 baht fine? Shiver me timbers.

"... hotel staff refused to help saying they had to wait for the insurance company to arrive." Bloody hell. Management should go to jail, and who knows, maybe since government official types were injured, might even happen this one time.

"... hotel staff refused to help saying they had to wait for the insurance company to arrive."  

- Would the insurance company have an office in Pattaya, and would they have staff capable and authorized to make decisions on the spot with this specific type of event? Doubtful?

- And would they have staff available 24 hours a day 7 days a week in Pattaya to quickly attend 'an event'? Doubtful?

So perhaps in a case where their are serious / very serious injuries people die because the appropriate person from the insurance company can't come until tomorrow?  

Whatever happened to 'duty  of care'?

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

But how would you know when to jump?

How would you jump when you would be stuck to the ceiling of the lift, until the sudden stop at the end of your flight which does all the damage, pretty frightening ordeal though!

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

But how would you know when to jump?

You could jump up prior to impact but would still hit the ground with the same impact, your body is falling at the rate the lift is falling, basic physics, one must assume you were joking.

1 hour ago, DoctorG said:

The theory is that you jump up and down, therefore giving you a 50% chance of being in the air upon impact. That is the theory anyway. :shock1:

I would jump after the "2" lights up. I prefer 100% odds

2 minutes ago, ableguy said:

You could jump up prior to impact but would still hit the ground with the same impact, your body is falling at the rate the lift is falling, basic physics, one must assume you were joking.

One WOULD assume we were joking.  You would not be one.

They did do one of those science programs on this----surprisingly the best way to lessen injuries, is not to be in the air,,,,but to lay on the floor of the lift, thus spreading your weight across a larger area than just your feet----of course looking for volunteers to test the theory .

flat on your back, if you can manage it, is still probably your best bet for surviving a falling elevator.---http://www.livescience.com/33445-how-survive-falling-elevator.html

2 hours ago, malcoml said:

Years ago I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok and when my family hopped into the lift it sunk about a foot. Total family weight less than 300 kilos.

How many people 2 or 3 ?:smile:

2 hours ago, khunano said:

Isn't it ironic that government officials were the victims of this lift accident?!? Presumably one of their brethren signed on the last lift safety check report.... for a fee, of course!

Karma at its finest. 

Archived