Add dangerous lifts to Pattaya hazards - ten injured as hotel elevator plunges

webfact

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

Washington Post in USA, 1st world country. Lift is in Thailand, definitely not first world country! TIT

2 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

This is nothing to joke about. Lift safety is assumed by everyone and it's rare that one malfunctions like this, be it Pattaya, Bangkok, Thailand or anywhere in the world. They have it figured out. Having been in a lift when the power went out I can tell you how terrifying it is for those inside. 

I was in a (full to capacity, claustrophobic) Baiyoke Tower elevator when the power went out. There was barely a disruption before it resumed its decent on generator power. It can be done properly, and sometimes is in Thailand. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

maintenance records

Yes, yes, yes. Cleaning lady clean elevator every day. Sometimes 2 times per day.

You see?  Here she sign for job of elevator cleaning and here she sign for toilet cleaning !!!

He said that the hotel were reluctant to help at all. Only when inspectors arrived did they decide to pay the bills of those injured.

Now they know what it's like to be a "farang" over here... a taste of their own medicine

Also an important point, where is the gov't agency that is responsible to monitor that lifts and other equipment in hotels (and many other places - especially places or work) have been inspected and maintained by due date?

3 hours ago, miamiman123 said:

No hotel name? 

Apparently, it is the policy of newspapers not to name hotels and major stores where potentially damaging (to their image) events occur.  This could be because they are major newspaper advertisers or to editors' fear of being sued for defamation.

Whatever the reason, it is an absurd situation which needs to be changed in the interests of (what the government is always saying we need more of!) transparency and public safety.

3 hours ago, hdkane said:

do you know how all the "conspiracy theorists" on TV are mocked for their unfounded statements?  ok...i used to live in a condo complex in bkk...turns out the condo committee was taking kickbacks from all the vendors who provided maintenance to the condo development...and we (residents who found out they stole 1 million baht) found the cctv footage of the condo security and management allowing a "repairman" from the elevator company purposefully damage the elevator mechanisms...it came to light because one of the idiot thai repairmen did such a good job in breaking the elevator that the intentional damage was obvious...anything can happen here, and thais know no limits to their lazy embrace of theft...

WT..? I  am left at a loss in  comprehending  why have someone  deliberately  sabotage the  lifts? Was it in retaliation  for fronting them  for theft or????

2 hours ago, Card said:

There has to be something wrong with this story - 9 people plunge 6 floors in a lift and only 1 is seriously injured? How many out of the 9 would have survived if they had jumped the same height - I doubt any at all.

Remember it's a report in newspapers. Did it 'plummet' good headline.!!  Did it 'plunge' good headline.!!

Or did it drop the last couple of metres when something went wrong or did it fall but was slowed by a braking system that stopped freefall but still let it arrive with a bang at the bottom.

I don't know, does anyone know yet?

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You say that but wasn't there a similar incident, also in Pattaya area, some years ago?

Good morning..a couple of general facts for you to consider:

1. There are a lot of lifts in Pattaya. An unfortunate event such as described every few years is almost expected.

2. It is more dangerous to your health and well being here in Pattaya to go anyplace which places you in traffic, be it on foot, on a motorcycle, in a car/taxi truck etc., eat in a restaurant, eat anything other than home grown food which itself might have it's own perils associated with considering the water and rain..

3. There was a discovery a few years ago in one of the massive View Talay buildings out at the beach...The "management company" was on the take and in the bribe business, and had the lift contractor giving not only kickbacks but they were not even doing the maintenance work or inspections. Same with the pool service company. This a View Talay building with mostly farang committee members who are supposed to protect the other thousand or so residents.

Life is full of risks mate, especially here in Pattaya. Fortunately for me and most others, we find women who actually like us vs involved for the money.

2 hours ago, ableguy said:

You could jump up prior to impact but would still hit the ground with the same impact, your body is falling at the rate the lift is falling, basic physics, one must assume you were joking.

Are you really going to state that as fact?

So if everyone was stationary and one person jumped, by your assumption, they are all moving at the same rate????

If its basic physics, I suggest you go back and learn the basics :)

27 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Apparently, it is the policy of newspapers not to name hotels and major stores where potentially damaging (to their image) events occur.  This could be because they are major newspaper advertisers or to editors' fear of being sued for defamation.

Whatever the reason, it is an absurd situation which needs to be changed in the interests of (what the government is always saying we need more of!) transparency and public safety.

An earlier post claims it was the Pattaya Centre Hotel. 

But yeah. You certainly wouldn't want a hotel to get a bad reputation based on something as trivial as an elevator falling 7 stories and the hotel staff refusing to aid the injured victims. 

11 minutes ago, thhMan said:

Are you really going to state that as fact?

So if everyone was stationary and one person jumped, by your assumption, they are all moving at the same rate????

If its basic physics, I suggest you go back and learn the basics :)

If they are going down in freefall, lets guesstimate 120mph, and one jumps up going 3mph and the floor suddenly stops he will hit the floor at 117 mph.

Similar to hitting a concrete pillar at 120mph in your car. The effective result is that the car stops and you keep going at 120mph.

Throwing a cushion and shouting 'go away nasty concrete' would have the same effect as jumping in a falling elevator.

6 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Maintenance records?. Yes they are currently being produced for inspection.

Maintenance carried out by qualified mechanics.? Yes sure.

For a lift to fall uncontrolled, there had to be a failure of many safety controls simultaneously. More likely, the safety were bridged or bypassed because they detected faults and stopped b the lifts operating.

Much easier in Thailand to remove the warning signs rather than fix the actual problem.

And don't forget to remove the sign in the elevator from the last checking date, as I experienced in a condo building in Huahin.

Well, I always check the elevator is actually there when the doors open and before getting in and I always check both ways before pulling out at a green traffic light in Thailand. This is something new to consider in the daily precautionary checklist of activities in Thailand....

3 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Hotel tips for everywhere: Check in, lowest floor possible, then walk the stairs to your room to know your escape route. Try not to use the lift, the exercise won't kill you. Oh, and stay away from the balcony rail.

Or stay at home, or make choice for another country, problem solved.

We should be more worried about the accidents we never hear about.
Two Otis lifts at our condo. The mechanism that should stop it closing on you is not at all sensitive. Then there is the ghost that allows you to go to the 6th, goes quiet and then with a jolt returns you to the 1st. Spooky .. Been happening on and off for the last 10 years. Cowboys are brought in now and again but the problem is never fixed.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Archived