Add dangerous lifts to Pattaya hazards - ten injured as hotel elevator plunges

webfact

18 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If they are going down in freefall, lets guesstimate 120mph, and one jumps up going 3mph and the floor suddenly stops he will hit the floor at 117 mph.

Similar to hitting a concrete pillar at 120mph in your car. The effective result is that the car stops and you keep going at 120mph.

Throwing a cushion and shouting 'go away nasty concrete' would have the same effect as jumping in a falling elevator.

5 minutes ago, 01322521959 said:

We should be more worried about the accidents we never hear about.
Two Otis lifts at our condo. The mechanism that should stop it closing on you is not at all sensitive. Then there is the ghost that allows you to go to the 6th, goes quiet and then with a jolt returns you to the 1st. Spooky .. Been happening on and off for the last 10 years. Cowboys are brought in now and again but the problem is never fixed.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Yes so true the near misses. I know the elevator in my condo keeps trying to give me a split personality. Makes one feel like Evel Knievel when using one. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, clockman said:

Until the slander and libel laws are removed. Nothing will change. These were put in place by criminals, to protect criminals.!

It's not the Slander or Libel laws that are the problem, you cant slander or libel someone if it's true.

The problem is with the Criminal Defamation Law. Anyone can say they have been defamed and because it is a Criminal offense the Police investigate with no charge (financial) to the accuser. It doesn't matter if its true or false.

On the size of the fine, when the law was passed (probably many years ago) 10,000 Baht was probably a lot of money but with inflation over the years it has been reduced to virtually nothing for a big hotel.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Remember it's a report in newspapers. Did it 'plummet' good headline.!!  Did it 'plunge' good headline.!!

Or did it drop the last couple of metres when something went wrong or did it fall but was slowed by a braking system that stopped freefall but still let it arrive with a bang at the bottom.

I don't know, does anyone know yet?

Well it was definitely going down. As for rate of descent, I'm sure some local bargirls can tell you whether or not they are quicker.

Every time I use the lift at the condo I have fear that it will also plunge. The condo management does not maintain a safety inspection document posted inside the lift. The lift doors open slowly and they close even more slowly to where you sometimes have to use your own hands to help close the doors. 

The condo does not have a committeee and they do not follow the rules of the condominium act of Thailand.

ive spoken with the condo management and he is extremely reluctant to talk anything about the lift. What can I do?

Who can this be reported to where some action takes place?

If only 10,000 baht fine, I'm more concerned now more than ever.

Seriously, does anyone know who to report this potential safety hazard to?

Please........ it happens all the time at this hotel. Not even surprised. Did you see how the staffs reacted? Not even shocked. They knew exactly how to perform and the standard operating procedures.

It's cheaper to be fined 10,000 per time and insurance will take care of the rest. If anyone dares say the hotel name, sue them for defamation for prison of 10 years.

Mai pen rai.

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If only they'd jumped up just before impact

That's an urban myth.  But maybe you know that already.

As an aside, I once read that lifts are all fitted with safety brakes which automatically activate if the lift exceeded its safe speed.

But then again, it might be like the new car I bought;  all safety features missing, and while the Oz version has 7 airbags, this had one.

4 hours ago, Estrada said:

If you read the numerous complaints by customers over the last 5 years on Trip Advisor, you would realize that this hotel has a terrible reputation for maintenance, cleanliness and couldn't care less staff. Having been involved in lift maintenance I can tell you that there is no way that a well maintained lift could have plunged seven floors without the emergency brake flying out and arresting its descent.

Ah but are the reviews TV readers as well. 

Reviews are a waste of time what one says another contradict!! May well be TV members

For all tourist who are in business for  adventure  welcome to the new trill take this elevator and wait from the 7th floor will take you down in no time flat and sudden stop while in the air.

If the bar girl did not give you enough how is this fall???

It happened at the Pattaya Centre Hotel on Beach Road. The hotel staff, instead of helping those fallen from the 7th to the ground floor, waited for the insurance company to arrive. Later on the hotel agreed to pay for the medical bills (at one of those lovely government hospitals most likely) and in turn the officials decided not to press charges.

Hence we shall never know:
- if there was a retainer on a regular maintenance and interval checking
- if such an agreement was in place, which company was it?
- if the company provided for the service (and the bill), what is the name of the technician?
- if there is a fine for the hotel (which does not apply in this case for above reasons), what's the fine for the service company and the fine/punishment of the technician?

Maybe tourism minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul can query this during her forthcoming visit to Pattaya, which is visited for its nature and being turned into a sports haven, focussing - as per her own words - into a hub of jet ski competitions! 

6 hours ago, DoctorG said:

The theory is that you jump up and down, therefore giving you a 50% chance of being in the air upon impact. That is the theory anyway. :shock1:

Good idea in principle but it all has to do with Frames of Reference ask Newton ...

36 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Public safety standards here are abysmal. Same with traffic safety. It is almost as if the government is saying unless you are wealthy, connected, or in power, you do not have the right to be safe in your own land. 

If you think Thailand is bad, try Nigeria; a Gazillion times worse ...

I have not used the lifts in our condo in Thappraya road for two years now as it does not

respond to what floor you punch in, sometimes it will take you right to the top or sometimes

it will not respond at all, it is common knowledge and the staff do not even listen if you tell

them the lifts are not correct.

and as a finishing touch when you get the annual meeting letter it is normally already been held

and you get notified the day after....so no real worries here....just use the stairs.....but glad I only rent and never bought, if it gets to bad you can always move ..   

1 hour ago, BsBs said:

What is the hotel name ? Nobody has balls on this forum ?

The following extract was quoted in the TV report:  They were taken to hospital where one was in a serious condition. The accident happened on Monday evening when 128 local officials from all over Thailand were staying in the central Pattaya hotel.  Maybe a clue ( or maybe not ) ?!?

6 hours ago, Card said:

There has to be something wrong with this story - 9 people plunge 6 floors in a lift and only 1 is seriously injured? How many out of the 9 would have survived if they had jumped the same height - I doubt any at all.

A lift doesnt freefall. It has a counterbalance weight equal to half the combined weight of the lift car and maximum people load. Thus allowing the lift motor to be half the capacity otherwise required. Requires maximum power to drive the empty lift down or a full lift upwards.

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You say that but wasn't there a similar incident, also in Pattaya area, some years ago?

Yes there was a similar accident in one of the Nirum Condo lifts where 1 fell approx 10 floors and at least 1 person seriously injured and the lifts in that building were shut down for some time, My friend who was staying there at the time ended up leaving as had to walk up and down long period.

2 hours ago, Reigntax said:

A lift doesnt freefall. It has a counterbalance weight equal to half the combined weight of the lift car and maximum people load. Thus allowing the lift motor to be half the capacity otherwise required. Requires maximum power to drive the empty lift down or a full lift upwards.

Assuming the cables did not snap...

And if the load was less than it's  maximum it would go up not down...

The lift should have emergency breaks fitted to the lift car that kick in if it drops too fast, my guess is these were worn and did not work too well, else everyone in that lift car would be dead. 

8 hours ago, swoods58 said:

Just before it stops. Seems obvious to me!

Your body is still descending at the same rate, regardless of whether you jump.

Probably the best stance is flat on your back - and take off clothing to cushion your head and neck, if possible.

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If only they'd jumped up just before impact

Ok, so pls share With us how you will manage to calculate the very correct moment in a few Seconds containing of a combination of panic, blurry vision,  wightless condition and as well possible darkness...??.. 

Archived