the problem is getting worse

dontoearth

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-fewer-americans-diet-20170308-story.html

But the authors also acknowledged another possibility: that many people have been overweight or obese for so long — and tried dieting so many times — that they have simply given up.

“The longer adults live with obesity, the less they may be willing to attempt weight loss, in particular if they had attempted weight loss multiple times without success,” they wrote.

That wearying pattern is very real: A 2011 study in the New England Journal of Medicine demonstrated that the post-diet body undergoes a host of changes designed to ensure that lost weight is regained.

Metabolic rate drops, allowing the post-diet body to do more with fewer calories. Myriad hormonal signals shift in ways that boost appetite. Those changes endure for at least a year after weight is lost, the study found. Even after weight is regained, many of those changes persist, leading to further weight gain.

Replicated by other studies, that research helps explain the discouraging finding that within five years of having lost weight, 95% of dieters will regain all the weight they lost. And most will gain a few extra pounds as well.

If they could just get people to try strict keto for two weeks I think you would see a lot of people turning their health around.  But the stigma of eating fat and the addiction to sugars and grains is too powerful of forces for most to change.

6 hours ago, tominbkk said:

If they could just get people to try strict keto for two weeks I think you would see a lot of people turning their health around.  But the stigma of eating fat and the addiction to sugars and grains is too powerful of forces for most to change.

Could you give an example of eating Keto for a few days for those of us here in bkk that don't have any kitchen facilities?   I would try it but I can't make cream cheese pancakes and omlettes in my room.  Any ideas?

Missing the point- these people are thoroughly disillusioned.  If they can't follow a normal diet, what makes you think they will follow a specialized diet?

One that sounds a bit cranky too!  It's widely accepted that a good diet has variation, and includes all food groups.

When I recently took up eating healthy food, only then did I realise that maybe 90% of all the food and drink that is sold by a typical supermarket was pure cr*p, laden with sugar and artificial colouring, flavouring etc etc.

It is no wonder that the average American is the size of a small bus.  They are presented with all this junk in the supermarket, and have probably grown up knowing nothing else.

On 3/10/2017 at 3:17 PM, mommysboy said:

Missing the point- these people are thoroughly disillusioned.  If they can't follow a normal diet, what makes you think they will follow a specialized diet?

One that sounds a bit cranky too!  It's widely accepted that a good diet has variation, and includes all food groups.

I think you might not know about set point.  The vast majority of people can diet...loose weight...and then with no alteration at all to their diet protocol stop losing weight or even gain weight again.  This was documented by the national science foundation and the national institute of health in a documentary linked on here called "The biology of weight loss."  At best science is stumped at this point!  The balanced diet crowd including the American Medical Association and the American Diabetic Association as well as most dieticians are just plain wrong about the balanced diet theory according to most of the science just coming available.   Sort of like the old cliche...everything I learned years ago as TRUTH is just another lie.

Archived